• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Alan Moore Appreciation Thread
10 10

467 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

Wow!  Those are so cool.  I’ve never even heard of them before.  Looks like I’ll have to add another eBay search to my list.  Thanks for bringing them to my attention.

They're pretty obscure, and they're just text stories.  But they're some of Moore's first work for DC, so they definitely deserve more attention than they get, I think.  As far as I know they've never been reprinted.

Edited by OtherEric
Had timeline slightly wrong

6 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

They're pretty obscure, and they're just text stories.  But they're Moore's first work for DC, so they definitely deserve more attention than they get, I think.  As far as I know they've never been reprinted.

Were they all published by London Editions Limited?

23 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Were they all published by London Editions Limited?

Super Heroes Annual 1984 is London Editions Magazines on the spine and indicia.

Batman Annual 1985 is London Editions Magazines on the spine and London Editions Limited in the indicia.

Superman Annual 1985 is London Editions Magazines on the spine and London Editions Limited in the indicia.

Also, small correction to myself above, where I said they were Moore's first work for DC:  The Super Heroes annual came out in 1983, and probably predated Saga of the Swamp Thing 20. So definitely Moore's first stories starring Superman and Batman, rather than a small guest appearance. I'm pretty sure he wrote at least the first story before his work for DC US, but the latter two don't predate his earliest DC US work.  I was getting confused with the Morrison stories in the 86 annuals, which are his first work for DC.

Edited by OtherEric

I had it pressed too, so a 9.4 is the best that can be squeezed out of it.  It looks great in the new case.  I was thinking of getting it signed by Bissette and Totleben, but I decided I love the cover the way it is.  I sent Rich Henn these today instead.  I know there is no guarantee they will stay 9.8 after they are signed and regraded.  I hope this wasn’t a dumb move.  At least there are a lot of 9.8’s of these issues in the census and can be replaced quickly.

Swamp Thing vol. 2 #025 a.jpg

Swamp Thing vol. 2 #037 a.jpg

Swamp Thing vol. 2 #049 a.jpg

Swamp Thing vol. 2 #050 a.jpg

On 6/13/2020 at 7:34 PM, OtherEric said:

Also, small correction to myself above, where I said they were Moore's first work for DC:  The Super Heroes annual came out in 1983, and probably predated Saga of the Swamp Thing 20. So definitely Moore's first stories starring Superman and Batman, rather than a small guest appearance. I'm pretty sure he wrote at least the first story before his work for DC US, but the latter two don't predate his earliest DC US work.  I was getting confused with the Morrison stories in the 86 annuals, which are his first work for DC.

London Editions was an imprint of Egmont UK, not of DC, so I wouldn't count Moore and Morrison's work for London as work for DC.