• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Alan Moore Appreciation Thread
10 10

461 posts in this topic

I love the cover to the last one.  When I read the Eclipse Miracleman for the first time I originally thought Alan Moore had created the Marvelman family reprint in #1 for literary purposes.  Hahhahhhaaaa!  In defense of my ignorance keep in mind, I am American.  I always thought Moore’s story would have been more impactful to me if I had grown up with the characters.  Whenever I imagine the same plot superimposed on the Captain Marvel Family, it blows my mind.  I think that’s why Swamp Thing was my favorite Moore story because he took a character I was familiar with into completely unpredictable territory.

On 7/17/2020 at 11:50 PM, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

Epic Illustrated #34.jpg

Nice!  As far as I know that's one of only three things Moore ever did for Marvel US, rather than Marvel UK.  (The other two would be his contributions to the charity books Heroes for Hope in 1985 and Heroes in 2001.)

So, a couple of Moore oddities today.  First off, Doctor Who #14 and #15, which reprint Moore's "Black Legacy" and "Business as Usual" from Doctor Who Weekly.  I've heard that Moore was annoyed at Marvel US reprinting the stories without permission, which was one of the factors leading to him not working for Marvel US.  But it's only one of several complaints he had, of course.  I think it's not particularly well known that these have the Moore reprints:

Doctor_Who_14.jpg

Doctor_Who_15.jpg

And the other, which I mentioned a page or so ago:  Rip off Comix #8, from April 1981.  This is the first US publication of anything by Moore, reprinting four pages of Three Eyes McGurk.  I find it amusing that Moore's first work published in the US was actually his art, not his writing (Steve Moore wrote it.) I included the first page of the story as well so people can see it.

Rip_off_08.jpg

Rip_off_08i.jpg

32 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

I've heard that Moore was annoyed at Marvel US reprinting the stories without permission, which was one of the factors leading to him not working for Marvel US.  But it's only one of several complaints he had, of course.  I think it's not particularly well known that these have the Moore reprints:

You can tell that Moore has a fondness for the Marvel super heroes though when you read mini-series like 1963 and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen - Tempest.  One of my collecting goals is to get a 9.8 graded copy of this issue, my favorite in the series.

1963 #4 Tales From Beyond.jpg

22 minutes ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

Here's the Marvel Star Wars stuff he did.

M 0 Star Wars #151.jpg

M 0 Star Wars #154.jpg

M 0 Star Wars #155.jpg

M 0 Star Wars #156.jpg

M 0 Star Wars #159.jpg

Nice! I've got the Devilworlds mini-series from Dark Horse that reprints the Moore stories, but have never tracked down the originals.

27 minutes ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

Unless I'm mistaken, I believe these are all the Doctor Who Weekly's that Moore contributed to.

M 0 Doctor Who Weekly #57.jpg

I think you are correct.  I don't have any of the originals but I have reprints of all of them... the first 8 in those two Doctor Who issues I showed, and the last 3 were reprinted in Daredevils.

On 7/11/2020 at 12:51 PM, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

In the Watchmen hardback collection, put out by Graphitti Designs back in the the 80's, there is evidence that the plot for Watchmen was at first supposed to be for the Question, Captain Atom, Blue Beetle, Silk Spectre, Peacemaker, etc.  That would have been so badass in my opinion.

IMG_1197.JPG

Watchmen 1.jpg

Watchmen 2.jpg

Watchmen 3.jpg

I love the fact that it is not the Charlton heroes. They got brought into the DC Universe and we got the “alternate universe” Watchmen characters. Best of both worlds, and a real eye opener to guys like Warren Ellis and Mark Millar who made a living out of reimagining classic heroes and villains.

On 7/21/2020 at 4:22 AM, OtherEric said:

And the other, which I mentioned a page or so ago:  Rip off Comix #8, from April 1981.  This is the first US publication of anything by Moore, reprinting four pages of Three Eyes McGurk.  I find it amusing that Moore's first work published in the US was actually his art, not his writing (Steve Moore wrote it.) I included the first page of the story as well so people can see it.

Rip_off_08.jpg

Rip_off_08i.jpg

Ah, the old Stars my Degradation strip from Sounds in the 70s/80s. I wish someone would collect the whole thing together.