• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Alan Moore Appreciation Thread
10 10

467 posts in this topic

I already posted this in the Golden Age section, but I managed to get my hands on these two: Captain Marvel Adventures #20 and Captain Marvel Jr. #24 (UK Editions), though the latter's front cover is detached with a clean split down the spine, and there being a strip of tape down the spine edge of the back cover ~

Captain Marvel Adventures #20: Editorial announces end of Captain Marvel Adventures series & start of Marvelman (later Miracleman). 2nd appearance of Marvelman in text form.

Captain Marvel Jr. #24: Title changed to The Young Marvelman. Both editorial and club pages refer to the next issue when Young Marvelman would take over the title.

s-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpg

Captain Marvel Adventures weekly #20. Published in the UK by L. Miller & Son Ltd. Nice clean condition throughout. All pages complete and attached. No cut outs.

Captain Marvel Jr. weekly #24. Published in the UK by L. Miller & Son Ltd. This is the last ever issue of this title. The following week, the comic would be called "Young Marvelman". Clean condition throughout interior pages. No cut outs. The front cover is detached with a clean split down the spine. Easily repairable with a strip of magic tape. There is a strip of tape down the spine edge of the back cover. This is why our price is low.

Edited by Bart Allen

9 hours ago, itcamefromthecopperage said:

This thread has been up since May and no Halo? The travesty. Well, here she is in all her mid-80's glory, as only the great Ian Gibson could draw her. Better late than never.

Ha.  I definitely been slacking.  Do you have any CGC graded 2000 AD progs?  Is the size too weird for them?  I also haven’t posted any Skizz.  I’ll have to rectify that.

1 hour ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

Ha.  I definitely been slacking.  Do you have any CGC graded 2000 AD progs?  Is the size too weird for them?  I also haven’t posted any Skizz.  I’ll have to rectify that.

CGC doesnt grade progs at the moment. They do grade reprints in standard comic format (the old Eagle comics reissues for example) but not the original progs. That could change though. About a year ago CGC opened an office in the UK, so hopefully that translates to them looking for local market opportunities and grading 2000AD would be good one, even though I could also see why it would be complicated comic to grade and slab.  I think if they can find a way to make money doing it, they will. But that's just my speculation at the moment. Anyway, if that does happen, we'll both be happy we got our collections when these were affordable and easy to find!

On 6/24/2020 at 11:40 AM, Chaykin Stevens said:

London Editions was an imprint of Egmont UK, not of DC, so I wouldn't count Moore and Morrison's work for London as work for DC.

Meant to respond to this earlier, but forgot until just now...

You are, of course, correct.  I know Don Rosa feels the distinction is very important as well, he is very clear his work has been for Egmont, not Disney.  And it obviously matters in that DC can't reprint the material; which I have no doubt they would have if they could.

With all that said, I think you can still call it their first DC work, if not their first work for DC; in that it's the first (or very early) time they worked on DC characters.  But I'll grant that distinction, no matter how fine it may seem, is important.

3 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

Meant to respond to this earlier, but forgot until just now...

You are, of course, correct.  I know Don Rosa feels the distinction is very important as well, he is very clear his work has been for Egmont, not Disney.  And it obviously matters in that DC can't reprint the material; which I have no doubt they would have if they could.

With all that said, I think you can still call it their first DC work, if not their first work for DC; in that it's the first (or very early) time they worked on DC characters.  But I'll grant that distinction, no matter how fine it may seem, is important.

If Superman and Batman are on the covers, it’s DC in my opinion.  Were the stories any good?  Moore might have never gotten another DC gig if he gave them “Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow” in 1981 instead of 1986.

1 minute ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

If Superman and Batman are on the covers, it’s DC in my opinion.  Were the stories any good?  Moore might have never gotten another DC gig if he gave them “Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow” in 1981 instead of 1986.

The story in the Batman annual is probably the best of the three, they're not bad but not spectacular.  The Superman story in the Super Heroes annual has a clever premise, as well.  They're worth tracking down if you're a Moore completest but you're not missing anything vital if you don't see them.

Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow was very much a piece for a very odd and specific moment in comic history; there's no other point Moore could or would have given that to them.

3 hours ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

He's not a bad artist either. There's a lot of detail in here.

Moore Godzilla.jpg

Somewhere in a box, I have Rip Off Comix #8 from 1981, which is the first American comic which reprints some Three Eyed McGurk pages.  I find it amusing that Moore's first US publication was as artist, not writer.   I'll try to dig it out and scan it later.

I already posted this in the Golden Age section, but I managed to get my hands on: Captain Marvel Jr #20. There's only one of these books encapsulated and that's a 4.0 on CBCS - with none being on the CGC, so I may send it in in the future.

Captain Marvel Jr #20: 1st mention of of Young Marvelman in text form. Editorial announces end of Captain Marvel Jr series & start of Marvelman Jr (later Young Marvelman) 

The issue before, Captain Marvel Jr #19 has the 1st mention of Marvelman Jr - just different names but the same character ultimately.

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Bart Allen