• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

500 Bucks in store Credit
2 2

66 posts in this topic

On 5/17/2020 at 6:28 PM, StillOnly25Cents said:

yes, unfortunately there are some shops out there that would try and take advantage of those less knowledgable so always best to use tools at your disposal before making sudden decisions .... I assume this thread though wasn’t to confirm that the value was lowballed as it appears you inherited these books raw ~ 2 years ago

if the book was signed by Kirby wouldn’t it be a green label?

EDIT: I see CGC seems to have done blue labels on unwittness sigs probably before they created the green labels

as others have echoed, sorry for your loss .... looks like you are enjoying the books and the memories

kirby signed the inside cover.  sec i show

37D7B26D-ACAD-4350-9AA3-B87B8EE8D1F1_1_105_c.jpeg.1698fc1b92668133bcfd9c95eec4191f.jpeg

The Howard the duck dis get a green cover for unverified sig...

The internet (and ebay), have been game changers for brick and mortar shops no longer stealing.   I wonder how many millions they have gone off with, while offering such lowball deals like this?   I know they have to make their money, storage, time to move it etc., so no need to lecture on that, but $500 in 'store credit'?!   Not even talk of a cash offering?  Brutal.

21 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

The internet (and ebay), have been game changers for brick and mortar shops no longer stealing.   I wonder how many millions they have gone off with, while offering such lowball deals like this?   I know they have to make their money, storage, time to move it etc., so no need to lecture on that, but $500 in 'store credit'?!   Not even talk of a cash offering?  Brutal.

These books would have been gone a decade ago if cash was offered  only the kirby signed 13 is unique  its entertaining  getting them graded but it is costly and takes time

59 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

amazes me how ppl are in the business of superheros and yet act like the villains instead of the heroes they try to sell...

1 hour ago, Karl Liebl said:

These books would have been gone a decade ago if cash was offered  only the kirby signed 13 is unique  its entertaining  getting them graded but it is costly and takes time

I'm not following. 

When did you get the $500 offer for the books?  This makes it sound like the offer was a decade ago, and the books were raw.

On 5/17/2020 at 9:28 PM, StillOnly25Cents said:

if the book was signed by Kirby wouldn’t it be a green label?

EDIT: I see CGC seems to have done blue labels on unwittness sigs probably before they created the green labell

Kirby typically signed in the margin of the first page inside the book. Sigs inside the book don't count against the book grade, so always blue. 

And even if the sig was on the cover, you can still request a blue label over a green label, but the signature counts against the condition of the book. (So that 9.0 might become an 8.0). I have done that myself with a submission in the past.

8 hours ago, shadroch said:

I'm not following. 

When did you get the $500 offer for the books?  This makes it sound like the offer was a decade ago, and the books were raw.

I didnt get the offer, my brother did and yes it was like a decade ago  He was living in pasadena and working for warner bros running the mainframe SAP.  He told me about the offer  He was a minimalist but I am glad he never got rid of his books.  They mean a lot to me now.  IMHO the books got very strict grades and would go up a full point in most eyes but fair is fair and i can live with that  I had curiosity about the slabbing process and have learned a lot from these boards  Its going to get REAL hard to fetch a 9.8 from the 60's!  I have aa lot of 100 buck books i could submit but since it costs about 100 bucks to do there is no point  Happy memorial day

28 minutes ago, Karl Liebl said:

I didnt get the offer, my brother did and yes it was like a decade ago  He was living in pasadena and working for warner bros running the mainframe SAP.  He told me about the offer  He was a minimalist but I am glad he never got rid of his books.  They mean a lot to me now.  IMHO the books got very strict grades and would go up a full point in most eyes but fair is fair and i can live with that  I had curiosity about the slabbing process and have learned a lot from these boards  Its going to get REAL hard to fetch a 9.8 from the 60's!  I have aa lot of 100 buck books i could submit but since it costs about 100 bucks to do there is no point  Happy memorial day

That's very different than the story presented in your initial posts. I'm sure you didn't mean to mislead anyone but a $500 offer a decade ago on a bunch of raw books is a whole other story from what most people would assume was a current offer on slabbed books. I'm glad it worked out for you but the offer was much fairer when viewed in the original context.

On 5/18/2020 at 5:36 AM, 1950's war comics said:

those are great books!! your brother had great taste !! those CGC graded books would sell like hotcakes on eBay !! and they would garner a ton of attention and bids

Yeahhh and not a single date stamp!  My brother groomed all of them out.  Now people lie them lol go figure  Ooops  i did find one stamp on a back cover the other day!  These slabs cost me more to do than was ever spent on the entire collection!  I was there when eric paid 18 bucks for fear 19 haha most expensive ever!!  That is a lot of lawn mowing!!  If only i had kept MY books...  I had X Men 5 and up.... all of them...

3 minutes ago, shadroch said:

That's very different than the story presented in your initial posts. I'm sure you didn't mean to mislead anyone but a $500 offer a decade ago on a bunch of raw books is a whole other story from what most people would assume was a current offer on slabbed books. I'm glad it worked out for you but the offer was much fairer when viewed in the original context.

Regardless, clearly the offer was not  fair by a long shot.  Because I took the time and money to slab them does not change this point.  Yes its ancient history now...

2 hours ago, shadroch said:

Guess I was thrown as well, and thought it was a recent offer.  I agree with you but personally don't care to flame the OP about it.  The shop owner probably not as nefarious given the updated context.

4 hours ago, Karl Liebl said:

Regardless, clearly the offer was not  fair by a long shot.  Because I took the time and money to slab them does not change this point.  Yes its ancient history now...

Is it clear? Clearly not a great deal in retrospect, but was it obviously unfair at the time?  

im not saying what it was for sure, but there’s a big difference between “not a great offer” and “this guy is treating me unfairly or unethically”

I don’t think it’s that uncommon to offer 30-50% of expected sales price for a comic book shop.  They have overhead, and have to tie up money, and don’t always have that much extra cash beyond what they budget for.  Or they already had some of those books, or already purchased some expensive old keys that month, or that shop doesn’t really sell old comics and therefore doesn’t have an obvious market to move them quickly, or etc etc.  

2 hours ago, Gaard said:

Now I feel super intelligent because I understood everything perfectly. Probably because I read the entire original thread by Beige.

yes, that’s why I posted it and said the thread was somewhat misleading 

my Spidey-sense tends to go off when someone with over 1000 posts here questions or would need to “discuss” the validity of a $500 store credit offer of the books on the OP (slabbed or not) 2c

Did Kenny So from Comic Odyssey or John Chang from JC's Collectibles offer your brother $500 a decade ago? Both Dena shops are closed... but they sold keys very affordable back then so I think $500 store credit is a very fair price.. If they offer $500 they want to make at least $1500

5 hours ago, Gaard said:

Now I feel super intelligent because I understood everything perfectly. Probably because I read the entire original thread by Beige.

Yup. Beige was looking for a book and I have a copy and considered selling it to him. He made no offer and honestly the 40 or 50 bucks I could have got for it didn’t interest me at all. Heck the postage to Australia is double that!  

You guys keep talking about the shop offering 30 to 50 percent of guide price. It was more like 1 percent and not even cash!  Remember there are 150 books. 4 bucks each!  Seems legit!