• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

500 Bucks in store Credit
2 2

66 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, StillOnly25Cents said:

yes, that’s why I posted it and said the thread was somewhat misleading 

my Spidey-sense tends to go off when someone with over 1000 posts here questions or would need to “discuss” the validity of a $500 store credit offer of the books on the OP (slabbed or not) 2c

I can't find the original thread. Can somebody link it please.

6 hours ago, Karl Liebl said:

Yup. Beige was looking for a book and I have a copy and considered selling it to him. He made no offer and honestly the 40 or 50 bucks I could have got for it didn’t interest me at all. Heck the postage to Australia is double that!  

You guys keep talking about the shop offering 30 to 50 percent of guide price. It was more like 1 percent and not even cash!  Remember there are 150 books. 4 bucks each!  Seems legit!

I was pretty clear in the previous thread Karl about why I chose not to continue our conversation.

At the time:

You had no posts

You had no references

You would not accept paypal

The book I was after was  $500 USD book - not a $40 book.

My WTB was for a Batman #357 white pages in 9.8 - that was what you offered to sell.

It hasn't been a $40 book for a long time - certainly not 2 years ago!

So, no - I did not make an offer. 

I doubt if any boardie would believe that someone would sell a Batman #357 in CGC 9.8 for $40 - especially one with no paypal or posting history.

Again, I only posted 2 years ago, after talking to Buzzetta, and then Arch - Arch asked me to post it up, as I had the first hand info.

You contacted me, and I declined to do business based on the above.

Perhaps it's best to just let this go and enjoy the books you have back,or open a paypal account and start a sales thread. It seems plenty of people would be interested buyers. :foryou:

Edited by Beige
clarity

Sorry for your loss but cool collection. Glad you were wise enough to research your stuff and not get low balled 

21 hours ago, Karl Liebl said:

I didnt get the offer, my brother did and yes it was like a decade ago  He was living in pasadena and working for warner bros running the mainframe SAP.  He told me about the offer  He was a minimalist but I am glad he never got rid of his books.  They mean a lot to me now.  IMHO the books got very strict grades and would go up a full point in most eyes but fair is fair and i can live with that  I had curiosity about the slabbing process and have learned a lot from these boards  Its going to get REAL hard to fetch a 9.8 from the 60's!  I have aa lot of 100 buck books i could submit but since it costs about 100 bucks to do there is no point  Happy memorial day

Great books and story - I come from a family of twins.

I'm just curious if these are all the books you sent in the CGC grading thread where you're person_without_enough_empathying about the service and TATS!

On 4/22/2020 at 5:10 PM, loganparker said:

Fast Track Value - 21 Books

-Delivered 4/17/2020

-Received 4/21/2020

-Scheduled for grading 4/22/2020

"Great. Pile over the top of my books even though I paid triple and waiting 4 months. This system is seriously broken"

"

Has anyone ever canceled service?  I have been complaining for months. I want to cancel. 6 months is too long"

Edited by spreads

33 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

You think this is bad you should have seen what chuck paid for the Mile High collection.

The best part of that story was Chuck stressing out to get financing...I wonder how that went down at the bank, "look, don't ask me any other questions (can't let this guy know of this amazing comic deal), but let's just say I'm good for it!  What do I need to do to get that 20k?!"

15 minutes ago, spreads said:

The best part of that story was Chuck stressing out to get financing...I wonder how that went down at the bank, "look, don't ask me any other questions (can't let this guy know of this amazing comic deal), but let's just say I'm good for it!  What do I need to do to get that 20k?!"

yea - that had to be a strange meeting for the banker processing that loan.  "You want to buy what?"  But I'm mostly kidding about Chuck.  Other dealers passed on buying the books due to the size of the collection but Chuck was young and hungry enough to pull it off.  I for one am happy he got lucky rather then the treasure trove being dumped into the trash.

But that does bring up a good point about getting all the facts.  You can vilify Chuck if you only hear the amount he paid but then the facts come out and it sounds less like he stole the books.  The $500 in store credit for raw copies now vs 10 years ago also makes the story go another direction.

1 hour ago, DocHoppus182 said:

According to the other thread, he said in October of 2018 the quote of $500 came 10 years prior to that.  So, while it may have been a little low, I don’t think that amount in 2008 was a slap in the face.

I don't have the figures from 2008 but I'd actually say the $500 is very good especially if the store was probably hoping to sell them for $600 - $700 to give him some profit.  The Star Wars 1 and 1st Inhumans were hot books back then from my memory but the rest were not scorchers.

11 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I don't have the figures from 2008 but I'd actually say the $500 is very good especially if the store was probably hoping to sell them for $600 - $700 to give him some profit.  The Star Wars 1 and 1st Inhumans were hot books back then from my memory but the rest were not scorchers.

If this was October 2008 we are right in the middle of the financial crisis!  I was very actively trading equities back then, and remember a pile of banks collapsing left and right.  

16 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

yea - that had to be a strange meeting for the banker processing that loan.  "You want to buy what?"  But I'm mostly kidding about Chuck.  Other dealers passed on buying the books due to the size of the collection but Chuck was young and hungry enough to pull it off.  I for one am happy he got lucky rather then the treasure trove being dumped into the trash.

But that does bring up a good point about getting all the facts.  You can vilify Chuck if you only hear the amount he paid but then the facts come out and it sounds less like he stole the books.  The $500 in store credit for raw copies now vs 10 years ago also makes the story go another direction.

And who knows with the OP, exactly?  Maybe he did get insulting offers, LCS are widely regarded as a very poor place to sell a collection.  But go look at this posts in the CGC submission thread, he keeps going off about his wait times when it's been explained to him that CCS is operating at a very different scale than CGC.   If he has difficulty with this, I wonder how he is to deal with in person. 

34 minutes ago, spreads said:

And who knows with the OP, exactly?  Maybe he did get insulting offers, LCS are widely regarded as a very poor place to sell a collection.  But go look at this posts in the CGC submission thread, he keeps going off about his wait times when it's been explained to him that CCS is operating at a very different scale than CGC.   If he has difficulty with this, I wonder how he is to deal with in person. 

Sounds like it's a moot point since I think the guys brother got the $500 offer.  It's all very confusing but I do agree the OP may be a tad difficult from what I'm reading and he may have taken offense when non was meant by the shop owner especially during a financial crisis and a ton of people hadn't even heard of CGC in 2008.

29 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Sounds like it's a moot point since I think the guys brother got the $500 offer.  It's all very confusing but I do agree the OP may be a tad difficult from what I'm reading and he may have taken offense when non was meant by the shop owner especially during a financial crisis and a ton of people hadn't even heard of CGC in 2008.

I'm gonna start a thread, "LCS charged me $10 for Turok 1!! DISCUSS"    And then after several pages of discussion it will come to light this was in the early 90s and the shop is now long closed. 

18 hours ago, StillOnly25Cents said:

yes, that’s why I posted it and said the thread was somewhat misleading 

my Spidey-sense tends to go off when someone with over 1000 posts here questions or would need to “discuss” the validity of a $500 store credit offer of the books on the OP (slabbed or not) 2c

Karl performed a lot of bloviating in the past. I knew this thread was misleading from the second I saw that he was the OP.

I honestly completely forgot that he existed. Boy, has he posted some hoots and hollers in the past. Fun times.

A lot of shops in Dena at that time did not have back issues as their main source of income... mainly current new releases and even figures, toys, tpbs, cards, statues, posters.. it's just a lil piece of the pie for their showcase