• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

blue lines and their value

46 posts in this topic

There must be a big disconnect between the blue lines and ink lines.  Or maybe it's just psychological, in your heart, you really, really don't like blue lines.

It used to be that people thought that when there were real blue pencil lines, they actually enhanced the inks.

13 hours ago, SquareChaos said:

It makes great sense. Though I now have at least one inked page in my collection where I'm uncertain if a pencils only version is floating around. Hardly a serious problem, but I'd of course prefer to have both!

I have the opposite with one page of mine. Heh. Seems like that’s going around.

Rick2you2’s idea upthread is a good one, if someone could pull it off. It would be nice to have an idea of when there are inks and pencils, and have a shot at getting both. 

9 hours ago, Latverian Tourism Board said:

I have the opposite with one page of mine. Heh. Seems like that’s going around.

Rick2you2’s idea upthread is a good one, if someone could pull it off. It would be nice to have an idea of when there are inks and pencils, and have a shot at getting both. 

Anyone got a volunteer? Maybe someone who runs a website already with new art from their stable of artists could add it as a separate part. It could improve their own sales, and bring in new eyes to their other  artists’ art for sale.

Edited by Rick2you2

It would be very difficult to match pencils and inks unless an artist rep handled both the penciller and inker.  For example, Albert... if Jim Lee and Scott Williams did pencils and inks on separate boards.

For a concrete example, at SplashPageArt.com, they sell Paolo Rivera and Joe Rivera's art as a set.  Paolo does the pencils and Joe (his father) does the inks.  In some cases, only the inks are displayed on the website.  Sometimes they display the pencils and inks.

Here's an interesting example.  It looks like Paolo has blue lines (digital blue lines ??) and regular pencil.  Then it looks like Joe inks on a lightbox.  In the lower left corner, you see lots of blue on the pencils side but you don't see any blue on the inks side.  Not sure if that's how they regularly collaborate.

http://www.splashpageart.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=33241&Details=0&ArtistId=123&Mag=Hellboy+and+the+B.P.R.D+1953+&From=TDetail

Edited by Will_K

13 hours ago, Will_K said:

It would be very difficult to match pencils and inks unless an artist rep handled both the penciller and inker.  For example, Albert... if Jim Lee and Scott Williams did pencils and inks on separate boards.

For a concrete example, at SplashPageArt.com, they sell Paolo Rivera and Joe Rivera's art as a set.  Paolo does the pencils and Joe (his father) does the inks.  In some cases, only the inks are displayed on the website.  Sometimes they display the pencils and inks.

Here's an interesting example.  It looks like Paolo has blue lines (digital blue lines ??) and regular pencil.  Then it looks like Joe inks on a lightbox.  In the lower left corner, you see lots of blue on the pencils side but you don't see any blue on the inks side.  Not sure if that's how they regularly collaborate.

http://www.splashpageart.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=33241&Details=0&ArtistId=123&Mag=Hellboy+and+the+B.P.R.D+1953+&From=TDetail

I don't see why it would be difficult since the site would be open to all. Just like CAF is open to all once one registers.

For example, Splash Page could set up a separate site in which they post the pencils or inks of anyone they represent (but where they don't represent both, as that would already be covered on their site). Just list the book, volume (how many Spectre volumes are out there already, for example), issue and pages, identifying the owner/location. Anyone else can log in and enter the same information  for the other missing one. Set it up as a grid, and then add a third column, so that purchases of both at the same time offer a discount if the parties agree to do so. 

It is in the interest of both sellers to post together. I expect it would increase sales.