• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BANK BOX vs HOME SAFE?

13 posts in this topic

for my cgc graded slabs, i currently have several awesome large bank boxes that were hard to find in los angeles. it looks like we will be moving to another city soon. i like having bank boxes, but i know how hard it is to find large ones, so i'm contemplating buying a home safe. 

for those of you who have safes, what is important to know? is climate control an issue inside the safe? do you recommend a particular make or model? i recall seeing some discussion of this on the boards before but cannot find the topic. searching for the word "safe" brings up a million things. thanks in advance- 

40 minutes ago, Stooge McSchmuck said:

I am disappointed that you did not choose the name Stuge McSchmuck

6 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

thanks for this. it was very useful. clearly fire proof safes have humidity issues. still hoping for any info from users of safes that are happy with them for their slabs. thanks- 

I asked a similar question when I arrived.  I was also warned about fireproof cases.  Apparently the chemicals used to create a fire retardant atmosphere rusts out the non-precious metals.  Some suggested using the dehumidifier bags that people use for gun cabinets but I was told it would be better to be safe than sorry. 

15 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I asked a similar question when I arrived.  I was also warned about fireproof cases.  Apparently the chemicals used to create a fire retardant atmosphere rusts out the non-precious metals.  Some suggested using the dehumidifier bags that people use for gun cabinets but I was told it would be better to be safe than sorry. 

pun intended of course

2 hours ago, Stooge McSchmuck said:
2 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I am disappointed that you did not choose the name Stuge McSchmuck

Mine's more subtle and they're pronounced the same anyway nyuk nyuk nyuk :kidaround:

:hi:

33 minutes ago, Stooge McSchmuck said:
57 minutes ago, Jeffro. said:

:hi:

A hearty "Steely Dan rules" to you my friend :whistle:

And a death to all jam bands right back atcha :D

I'm not sold on "Big Safe Co" I'm not going to call anyone out, just going to show you a few videos from what I found when researching.  If I were going to get one I'd probably go with Sturdy Safe you can get all kinds of custom configs, including with no fire-proofing.  

besides the pry test there's plenty of other issues with the cheaper internals if you go further down the rabbit hole.

Edited by 90sChild

If they are 6 figure books bank. My bigger books aren't slabbed and my total number of books are in the 6 figures so I mix them in with drek. Good luck in finding them. I would say most thieves aren't comic experts. Slabs though are more enticing target.

If you dont let anyone know you have valuables you are fine. It's your kids friends, kids running there mouth about dad's first appearance of batman, the electrician plumber Cable guy that sees your safe or expensive art etc that makes you a target. Security is best in layers. Make sure things are locked. Never notify mailman, police or non trusted neighbors that you are going on vacation. Keep nothing of value in master bedroom. Have good lighting. Security system. A safe will keep away amateurs looking for quick easy score. Professionals will just take the whole safe. If you bolt it to the foundation it will take them 20 seconds longer to take your safe. A jack between wall and safe will do it so dont leave any space. But then they bolt a electric wrench to floor and remove safe from foundation that way. Load it up on furniture movers and away it goes.