• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dumbest mistake I could make
3 3

41 posts in this topic

This may be sort of obvious, but did you contact the seller about it and ask about swapping? Odds are small it will help, and it would be embarrassing, but it might work, particularly if you paid for a cover but got a splash. You pay the postage, of course.

i got you guys beat with stupidity....back in the 1990s,....before the internet and all....I was at kinkos making copies of art..

and i left a John Romita Sr. MY LOVE #4 cover in the copier and forgot it.

i went back the next day and even jumped into all their dumpsters in the hopes of finding it in case it got thrown out......but never did find it.

Mike

193174.jpg

5 hours ago, romitaman said:

i got you guys beat with stupidity....back in the 1990s,....before the internet and all....I was at kinkos making copies of art..

i went back the next day and even jumped into all their dumpsters in the hopes of finding it in case it got thrown out......but never did find it.

Mike

193174.jpg

"Featuring the cover that got away"

I once FOUND a piece of art in a dumpster!

I came in to work after a day off and happened to mention to a colleague that I was expecting a package.  I got told something did arrive for me and it was put at my desk. Nothing was there.  At their suggestion, I went to check the dumpster and thankfully it was relatively visible, and undamaged.  Overzealous cleaning crew!

On 5/18/2020 at 9:11 PM, romitaman said:

Mike

193174.jpg

Oooof, that's a rough one Mike. Such a beautiful cover, and a great wedding shot of Peter Parker and Betty Brant lost for all time!

During the latter half of the 1980s I used to attend monthly 'science-fiction media' meetings held in one of the Liverpool city centre hotels (UK).  These were always staged on a Friday evening and the room that was hired came with bar service.  At the request of some friends, I attended one of these meetings armed with a portfolio of complete EC stories and some covers.  Included in the selection were some prime Wally Wood artworks.  As I'd been drinking for most of the evening at around 11.00 pm when the meeting was finishing I wanted to move onto a night club - which I did, staying out till about 3.00 am when such places closed.  Later on Saturday morning when I was waking up with a bad hangover, I was trying to piece-together the events of the previous evening.  It suddenly dawned on me that I had no recollection of what I did with the EC artworks I'd took to the meeting with me.  A quick search at home confirmed they were not with me.  A horrible feeling of panic was swelling-up inside me, when the phone rang.  It was my friend, Pete.  "What time are you calling round today to pick up your EC artworks?", he asked . . .

When spring cleaning a few years ago i noticed I had a few old shipping flats in my office I had stacked on a shelf and never recycled. I put them in the bin and forgot about em. Few weeks goes by and i notice im missing a Star Wars Infantino page...Ive never found it since, im pretty sure it somehow got mixed in with those used folded flat boxes. That was less than thrilling.

On 5/19/2020 at 7:12 AM, GotSuperPowers? said:

I once FOUND a piece of art in a dumpster!

I came in to work after a day off and happened to mention to a colleague that I was expecting a package.  I got told something did arrive for me and it was put at my desk. Nothing was there.  At their suggestion, I went to check the dumpster and thankfully it was relatively visible, and undamaged.  Overzealous cleaning crew!

I usually get artwork delivered to my office as someone is not at my house all the time but this is one of the things that always worries me if I don't take art home immediately.

3 hours ago, rrichards said:

The dumbest thing I ever did was with my first silver age Kirby piece.It had all of these notes penciled around the boarders and since they were not effecting the art I ERASED THEM ! (a little history gone )

The Vinnie Colletta school of OA collecting?

7 hours ago, rrichards said:

The dumbest thing I ever did was with my first silver age Kirby piece.It had all of these notes penciled around the boarders and since they were not effecting the art I ERASED THEM ! (a little history gone )

GOOD LORD!!! *choke*

My biggest mistake was looking through Heritage auction and I saw an original piece of artwork for a Michael Moorcock Elric book.  I slammed in a low tracking bid and impatiently waited to see if it would be within my means to win.  As the auction got closer and closer to completing, the price completely stalled at an insanely low price.  While looking at the piece more and hoping it closed at an affordable price I saw something I hadn’t caught before, the words “limited edition print”.  I ended up winning a poster for about $200.  I still like it but what a disappointment.

D2B276BE-F0F0-4BAE-9D60-1C58C6BA1DA8.jpeg

I once had a nice Iron Man bronze age cover I thought I had lost.

When I relocated my bedroom to the attic to accommodate the ongoing needs of the family, it turned up behind a dresser!

Ouch, but I was glad to find it.

I think David Gearhart owns it now.

David

On 5/27/2020 at 6:33 AM, rrichards said:

Ouch! What page was it?