• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Art Day - Camelot 3000

10 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, rsonenthal said:

Camelot 3000 was a 12 issue mini-series that ran in the early 80’s.  The basic premise was that King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table were resurrected in the year 3000 AD, fulfilling an ancient prophecy that Arthur would return when England needed him most. 

Written by Mike Barr, this was Brian Bolland’s first major work for the US market, with inking assists from Terry Austin and Bruce Patterson.  I had to double check the dates of publication, because it took so long to get the story out.  I didn’t recall waiting so long between issues, but apparently Bolland got behind on the last 4 or 5 issues, and it reportedly took Bolland almost nine months to pencil the final issue. 

I just remembered liking everything about this story.  It was a new art style for me, it was on heavier, glossy paper (which somehow felt more adult), and the treatment of various members of the round table was different than I would expect; much edgier.

I’ve been looking for the right piece.  Although I’ve come close on some others before, this popped up at the right time for me.  Please enjoy the cover to Issue 8 of Camelot 3000 by Brian Bolland.

The link:  http://cafurl.com?i=24669

As always, feel free to check out anything else that looks interesting.

Ron Sonenthal

I believe it was also the first maxi-series DC ever published.
For years, you could never find any of that art for sale.

11 hours ago, rsonenthal said:

Camelot 3000 was a 12 issue mini-series that ran in the early 80’s.  The basic premise was that King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table were resurrected in the year 3000 AD, fulfilling an ancient prophecy that Arthur would return when England needed him most. 

Written by Mike Barr, this was Brian Bolland’s first major work for the US market, with inking assists from Terry Austin and Bruce Patterson.  I had to double check the dates of publication, because it took so long to get the story out.  I didn’t recall waiting so long between issues, but apparently Bolland got behind on the last 4 or 5 issues, and it reportedly took Bolland almost nine months to pencil the final issue. 

I just remembered liking everything about this story.  It was a new art style for me, it was on heavier, glossy paper (which somehow felt more adult), and the treatment of various members of the round table was different than I would expect; much edgier.

I’ve been looking for the right piece.  Although I’ve come close on some others before, this popped up at the right time for me.  Please enjoy the cover to Issue 8 of Camelot 3000 by Brian Bolland.

Ron Sonenthal

Nice pickup, Ron.

have you read Claremont/Bolton’s Black Dragon?  Similar era storyline with great art.

12 hours ago, rsonenthal said:

Ron Sonenthal

That is Tremendous!!!!!!

One of my favorite covers from that series. All those characters included. 

If you were looking for a representative example from that series, this checks all the boxes. 

9 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

I believe it was also the first maxi-series DC ever published.

I think you're right about that. And it was one of the first (if not the first) series DC sold only in the then-nascent comic-book-store direct market. And, in those pre-Vertigo days, it was one of the first series DC did that was explicitly not-for-children (though it's been said that C3000's kind of "mature readers" was less about sophisticated storytelling nuanced for adult audiences and more about typical comic book storytelling, but with nudity and violence.)

Still, I love Camelot 3000 immensely, and even have an interior page in my own collection. If Warner Bros. ever really wanted to impress me, they'd find a way to make a movie about this Arthurian space opera instead of another run at Batman... :) 

19 hours ago, rsonenthal said:

Ron Sonenthal

Great pickup, Ron. I too am looking for a great C3000 piece. While I can’t afford a cover, I do appreciate this one. It’s great. 

2 hours ago, ATKokmen said:

I think you're right about that. And it was one of the first (if not the first) series DC sold only in the then-nascent comic-book-store direct market. And, in those pre-Vertigo days, it was one of the first series DC did that was explicitly not-for-children (though it's been said that C3000's kind of "mature readers" was less about sophisticated storytelling nuanced for adult audiences and more about typical comic book storytelling, but with nudity and violence.)

Still, I love Camelot 3000 immensely, and even have an interior page in my own collection. If Warner Bros. ever really wanted to impress me, they'd find a way to make a movie about this Arthurian space opera instead of another run at Batman... :) 

it was also groundbreaking in that it had a same sex romance Between the reincarnated (as a woman) Lancelot, and Queen Guinevere. Groundbreaking, at least, for a Big Two book. 

On 5/19/2020 at 5:56 PM, PhilipB2k17 said:

it was also groundbreaking in that it had a same sex romance Between the reincarnated (as a woman) Lancelot, and Queen Guinevere. Groundbreaking, at least, for a Big Two book. 

To nitpick, Camelot 3000's same-sex romance story was not between Lancelot/Guinevere but rather Sir Tristan, who had been reincarnated as a woman, and Isolde, who had also been reincarnated in the year 3000. Tristan's characterization and story arc resonate not only with same-sex-romance issues, but also transgender ones, which today's world may be more conscious of than back when Barr wrote it originally. Still, if Camelot 3000 was ever made into a movie today, I think there's a way to elegantly work with those themes. As I said, I'd be hugely impressed if Warner makes a movie of C3000, 'cuz I love the story so much.