• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Four Color 33 (Bugs Bunny #1) cover - not a match!

14 posts in this topic

This piece, which is being described as the FC 33 cover, is not a match to the published cover in many ways.  Upper part of the upper lock, the shape of the patch of grass at left and patterning of the wood grain on the bottom plank are three good places to start, but there are differences all over if you really look.    The small slow strokes on the filled black looks strange to me too.   On the plus side, the paper certainly looks old.  

Is this a re-creation?   A fake?   The original which was later photocopied and edited?   

I definitely don't know the answer and am looking for thoughts and input.    One thing that is clear is that it is NOT the published image.     TBH I'm a bit skeptical of this original but I don't know enough about this area.    It does, to my eye, seem like enough pervasive differences where I find it unlikely to be the finished OA to the cover.   Even if it had been copied and edited, the differences would be confined to certain areas, not pervasive like this.

auction is here:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/covers/four-color-33-bugs-bunny-comic-book/p/7232-60057.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116

published image is here:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/cartoon-character/four-color-33-dell-1943-cgc-vf-85-off-white-pages-bugs-bunny-is-public-nuisance-no-1-in-this-issue-which-is-also-h/a/806-6270.s#

Edited by Bronty

4 hours ago, aokartman said:

The lettering on the PUBLIC NUISANCE sign doesn't match up.  

Agree, this should, and will probably get a revised description from Heritage.

David

thanks David.   What are your thoughts on the production aspects.   I would have expected a stat for the Dell 10c square box at least.   Maybe some pencil guidelines roughing out the published area, etc.    Its too clean.   Because of that my first instinct is that this was drawn by someone, whether Buettner or not, who was looking at the published cover in front of them for reference.

Edited by Bronty

The placement of the left ear relative to the logo is completely different also.

The logo itself is also quite different.   The cut outs on the left most B are quite different in size.

Nothing really lines up perfectly.

Edited by Bronty

A lot of things in the drawing do not match up with the comic.  A really good example is Bugs' teeth.  Or you can just look at the line weights on Bugs' whiskers.

As already mentioned, the logo and its placement is off.  The U's in Bugs and Bunny is a much tighter curve than in the drawing.

The art seems to be in ink (which you'd expect).  The logo lettering seems to be in marker (kind of odd).

The blacks in the background also seem to be in marker (i.e. not ink).  That is very odd. 

I can't imagine that any artist in 1943 would use a marker to fill in blacks.

Edited by Will_K
misc

5 minutes ago, Will_K said:

A lot of things in the drawing do not match up with the comic.  A really good example is Bugs' teeth.  Or you can just look at the line weights on Bugs' whiskers.

As already mentioned, the logo and it's placement is off.  The U's in Bugs and Bunny is a much tighter curve than in the drawing.

The art seems to be in ink (which you'd expect).  The lettering seems to be in marker (kind of odd).

The blacks in the background also seem to be in marker (i.e. not ink).  That is very odd. 

I can't imagine that any artist in 1943 would use a marker to fill in blacks.

I see what you mean.   It does look like a fine tip marker.    Perhaps this piece is more 70s than 40s?

Certainly the way the blacks are filled in looks very deliberate... too much so perhaps.

Edited by Bronty

Looks like Heritage is reading this.   The full size pictures appear to have been taken down already.   The thumbnails are still there.

Edited by Bronty

4 hours ago, Will_K said:

The HA listing is totally gone now.  Hunting wabbits !!!

Its DUCK season!   WABBIT season!

DUCK season..!

Hmmm... it looks like the image is still reduced compared to my copy.

Here's just the UNN.  Maybe the marker will show better.

Click on it for a little larger image.

ha-art-lettering-unn.jpg

Edited by Will_K