• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LIVE PANEL TONIGHT ON COMIC ART COLLECTING!
2 2

189 posts in this topic

Bill, just a suggestion:

while the panel has 100 years of OA collecting experience and I’ve enjoyed the chats thus far, I’d be very interested to see a panel consisting of newer collectors discussing what they collect and why?  Where do they source and sell their OA, who are the up and coming artists in their opinion, etc.

thanks!  👍🏻

By newer, you talking pre fifty? Might could find a 46 year old somewhere in the hobby.

I kid! I know there is a range but sure seems like 70-80% of us hit somewhere right around the 50 year old demographic. 

It would be nice to hear their thoughts, I know when Felix has some younger collectors on his podcast it was very informative. I second that, bring in the new ones... just for one episode, we like our original crew!

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 9:14 PM, gumbydarnit said:

By newer, you talking pre fifty? Might could find a 46 year old somewhere in the hobby.

I kid! I know there is a range but sure seems like 70-80% of us hit somewhere right around the 50 year old demographic. 

It would be nice to hear their thoughts, I know when Felix has some younger collectors on his podcast it was very informative. I second that, bring in the new ones... just for one episode, we like our original crew!

Younger than 50...30-somethings.  I'd like to hear more about the next generation of collectors.

On 10/10/2020 at 11:10 AM, RBerman said:

The Comic Art Live Chat #10 with James and Kalil mentioned Facebook forums. Which particular ones are good? I'm in one, but it doesn't seem active.

The sketch prices group is pretty active.   But its mainly focused on low to mid range commissions. 

4 hours ago, eewwnuk said:

The sketch prices group is pretty active.   But its mainly focused on low to mid range commissions. 

OK. I was thinking of something more like we have here, but that may not exist on Facebook.

As for watching the Comic Art Live videos live, I save time by watching them later at 1.5x. I don't have any intelligent questions to ask anyway! Still learning.

On 9/30/2020 at 5:22 PM, Brian Peck said:

Another enjoyable episode. Some I knew about Scott and much I didn't. Would have loved to hear the story on how he convinced Dave Stevens to be the first Artist Edition with his Rockteer. I miss much of the epodes since I am on the west coast and do not leave work until after they start. Would have liked to ask about if there will ever be a vol 2 of Xenozoic Tales. Keep up the good work to Scott and the Comic Art Live Crazy Gang!!!!

I met Scott, briefly, in Los Angeles, something like five years ago.  I was making one of my rare excursions from the UK to the USA with my family for a fortnight's trip.  My wife and daughter got pushed in another direction for the day and I met up with my pal Lloyd Braddy, who'd kindly offered to drive me to Vasquez Rocks in the morning for some sightseeing and in the afternoon headed on down to the Jack Kirby Exhibition at one of the universities where a live panel was taking place.  Briefly hooked-up with boardie Aaron Noble to deliver a piece of purchased art, then had a quick few words with Scott prior to attending the panel discussion.  Scott was in attendance to launch a new Kirby book that tied into the exhibition and Lloyd introduced me to him.  Very pleasant guy.  Glen Gold, another boardie, was sat immediately behind me during the live panel discussion . . so I got to see a few people who frequent the forums ;)  

6 hours ago, The Voord said:

I met Scott, briefly, in Los Angeles, something like five years ago.  I was making one of my rare excursions from the UK to the USA with my family for a fortnight's trip.  My wife and daughter got pushed in another direction for the day and I met up with my pal Lloyd Braddy, who'd kindly offered to drive me to Vasquez Rocks in the morning for some sightseeing and in the afternoon headed on down to the Jack Kirby Exhibition at one of the universities where a live panel was taking place.  Briefly hooked-up with boardie Aaron Noble to deliver a piece of purchased art, then had a quick few words with Scott prior to attending the panel discussion.  Scott was in attendance to launch a new Kirby book that tied into the exhibition and Lloyd introduced me to him.  Very pleasant guy.  Glen Gold, another boardie, was sat immediately behind me during the live panel discussion . . so I got to see a few people who frequent the forums ;)  

I went to that event as well - Mike T was there also...thought it was funny / ironic that there was a panel and a Kirby inker was in the audience

On 10/13/2020 at 7:01 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Younger than 50...30-somethings.  I'd like to hear more about the next generation of collectors.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the youngest guy in the hobby and becomes obvious when I can't really talk about this stuff in my peer groups when they ask what my interest are. 

1 hour ago, DeadpoolJr. said:

Sometimes I feel like I'm the youngest guy in the hobby and becomes obvious when I can't really talk about this stuff in my peer groups when they ask what my interest are. 

It is not just you peer group - the number of people that are aware of this hobby / obsession is very small - although perhaps the Lucas museum may add a bit more awareness in my geo at least

Great show! My wife and I went to the Philadelphia show a couple of years ago. It was great! I took a lot of pics. One aspect that wasn't mentioned in the show is that it gave people the opportunity to buy actual comic books at the reasonable entry price of a dollar each.

Ew40lUF.png.ab4ad0d206e2bb6259e52f10319aa804.png

Fun to see a No-Prize up close also.

Ad4oQz7.png.f4cde127be9d1324dc9e84fbd7a3d458.png

Join the Comic Art LIVE team Tuesday night at 9PM EST when we chat with Comic Art Collector Robert Frey. Robert recently celebrated his 16th Anniversary as a CAF Member (whether he knew it or not!), and has one of our favorite collections on the site. A huge fan of George Perez's first run on Avengers, he's collected over 50 pages and covers from issues #141 through #202, and has almost completed Avengers Volume 3 issue #1. Robert also has a fantastic collection of work by Barry Windsor Smith, Jack Kirby, Paul Gulacy and J G Jones, so be sure to check out his gallery after the Episode!

Episode 19 - For tonight's 60 minute Episode (we promise!) we'll be chatting about the Comic Art LIVE Fall 2020 Virtual Comic Art Convention that happened over the weekend at ComicArtFans.com. More than $700,000 in confirmed sales happened on Saturday & Sunday, shattering our May 2020 Show's totals. Many things went right. Several things could have gone better. And there are plenty of things we can improve upon while we begin planning the May 2021 Virtual Convention which for all intents and purposes will happen tonight during the broadcast! We welcome your thoughts so please attend tonight's discussion.

Edited by glenbru

Tonight you can expect our usual musings on the hobby along with our thoughts on last week's Heritage Auctions' Comic & Comic Art Signature Auction results. Spectacular results came in for works by artists such as Jim Lee, Charles Schulz, Todd McFarlane, Jack Kirby, Steve Ditko, Frank Frazetta, Gil Kane, Dave Gibbons, Bernie Wrightson, Robert Crumb, Basil Wolverton, Carl Barks, and many others. When the auction came to an end, the total price realized was as awesome as the assortment presented: $14.2-million, with almost $6 million of that coming from the sale of original comic art and illustrations!