• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LIVE PANEL TONIGHT ON COMIC ART COLLECTING!
2 2

189 posts in this topic

On 10/13/2020 at 7:01 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Younger than 50...30-somethings.  I'd like to hear more about the next generation of collectors.

I'm still in my 30's and back into OA after having to take a few years away from the hobby.  I'm also tired enough from these young kids that I got a solid chuckle at the prospect of being considered the next generation of anything. I usually feel about as fresh as The Cryptkeeper 😆 

Join us Monday night, December 7th at 9PM EST for our latest Comic Art LIVE Collector Interview with Micah Spivak! Micah has been a member of CAF since 2008 and has one of the most eclectic and diverse original art collections on the site. In his collection you'll discover artworks by Dave Cooper, Ashley Wood, Moebius, Carl Barks, George Herriman, Frank Quitely, Ben Edlund, Jack Kirby, Joe Woodring, Will Eisner, and many many others. Micah has been involved in the hobby for several years and is currently working for Metropolis Collectibles and ComicConnect in NYNY.

2 hours ago, glenbru said:

Join us Monday night, December 7th at 9PM EST for our latest Comic Art LIVE Collector Interview with Micah Spivak! Micah has been a member of CAF since 2008 and has one of the most eclectic and diverse original art collections on the site. In his collection you'll discover artworks by Dave Cooper, Ashley Wood, Moebius, Carl Barks, George Herriman, Frank Quitely, Ben Edlund, Jack Kirby, Joe Woodring, Will Eisner, and many many others. Micah has been involved in the hobby for several years and is currently working for Metropolis Collectibles and ComicConnect in NYNY.

Thanks for the reminder; I'm definitely looking forward to this one, Glen.  I love seeing all the silver/bronze age super hero stuff as much as the next guy, but I really like it when you guys have a chance to chat with folks who have broader interests.  

6 minutes ago, ShallowDan said:

Thanks for the reminder; I'm definitely looking forward to this one, Glen.  I love seeing all the silver/bronze age super hero stuff as much as the next guy, but I really like it when you guys have a chance to chat with folks who have broader interests.  

Oh, it's going to be broad. Don't worry, I'll be sure to bring up a few artists that people have heard of :) 

4 minutes ago, Micah S. said:

Oh, it's going to be broad. Don't worry, I'll be sure to bring up a few artists that people have heard of :) 

Glen's screenshot has you wearing a Felix the Cat shirt with a Basil Wolverton on the wall, so I'd say it's off to a great start!

3 hours ago, vodou said:

How to Avoid a Fire Sale | How not to sell your business ...

This is a very pessimistic view you take, vodou.

I assure you this is no FIRE SALE.

Will, Mike, and I have all had record sales years. If anything, it's harder to get quality material at the right price right now than it is to sell it. We are in a very hot market.

We thought, given this, that it might be a nice idea to highlight some of the pieces by great artists that are being overlooked, and might satisfy some collectors that want a particular artist and might be willing to sacrifice the men-in-tights thing in order to own a great artwork.

We gave a lot of thought to this presentation. If you'd like to tune in maybe you will see something you like that won't break the bank. It's silly just to dismiss it out of hand like this.

It's our pleasure and joy to bring this show to you. We are not begging for business.

Glen

52 minutes ago, glenbru said:

This is a very pessimistic view you take, vodou.

I assure you this is no FIRE SALE.

Will, Mike, and I have all had record sales years. If anything, it's harder to get quality material at the right price right now than it is to sell it. We are in a very hot market.

We thought, given this, that it might be a nice idea to highlight some of the pieces by great artists that are being overlooked, and might satisfy some collectors that want a particular artist and might be willing to sacrifice the men-in-tights thing in order to own a great artwork.

We gave a lot of thought to this presentation. If you'd like to tune in maybe you will see something you like that won't break the bank. It's silly just to dismiss it out of hand like this.

It's our pleasure and joy to bring this show to you. We are not begging for business.

Glen

Glen, 

It was funny. I don't think any offence was intended.

Personally, I'm more interested in obscure artists who do good work, or the forgotten old timers who did. When was the last time anyone paid attention to Joe Orlando, for example? Or the lost potential of Scott Clarke? Stuff's cheaper, too.

1 hour ago, glenbru said:

If anything, it's harder to get quality material at the right price right now than it is to sell it.

Certainly not if Alberto is your buyer.

1 hour ago, glenbru said:

Oh okay, thanks for confirming that this post and possibly entire thread should be moved to: Marketplace lol

So would you prefer to approach Mods to move or should I?

20 minutes ago, vodou said:

Certainly not if Alberto is your buyer.

Oh okay, thanks for confirming that this post and possibly entire thread should be moved to: Marketplace lol

So would you prefer to approach Mods to move or should I?

Aren't you being a little rough on Glen?

Besides, what's so terrible about, say, suggesting Heck's romance work (top notch) as compared to his much more expensive Marvel work?

35 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

Glen, 

It was funny. I don't think any offence was intended.

Personally, I'm more interested in obscure artists who do good work, or the forgotten old timers who did. When was the last time anyone paid attention to Joe Orlando, for example? Or the lost potential of Scott Clarke? Stuff's cheaper, too.

Given his rebuttal, I would say offence was intended. But thanks Rick!

6 hours ago, glenbru said:

For episode #24 of Comic Art LIVE we're diving into the topic of how to discover affordable comic artworks from masters in the field, and we'll show examples on each of our moderators sites from the likes of Jack Kirby, Gene Colan, Don Newton, Joe Kubert and several others. Not everyone can afford a top tier page from an Artist's most popular title, so when you really want an example of their work for your collection sometimes you have to make compromises... But that doesn't mean the art is going to be subpar! We encourage you to bring your own examples to share this evening, and if you'd like us to do some research for some Artists you're interested in, please post comments on YouTube or Facebook before tonight's live stream and we'll do our best to prepare some examples for you!

This is a great idea for a live panel. I still regret not buying that Kirby Days of the Mob page you were selling earlier in the year with that spoke-style layout. It was beautiful Kirby art, and only around 2-3K. Some of these romance pages I’ve seen around are really opening my eyes, too.

30 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

Besides, what's so terrible about, say, suggesting Heck's romance work (top notch) as compared to his much more expensive Marvel work?

Absolutely nothing wrong with that - if none of the art used by example was theirs or FS. So it's up to them to prove me wrong on that assumption!

31 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

Aren't you being a little rough on Glen?

Well...only if I'm dead wrong* and this entire venture** isn't a comic art version of The Home Shopping Network ;)

If it is that, no biggie...just put in Marketplace where it belongs.

*But lollollol I am not :)

**Comic Art Live, that is.

51 minutes ago, vodou said:

Absolutely nothing wrong with that - if none of the art used by example was theirs or FS. So it's up to them to prove me wrong on that assumption!

Well...only if I'm dead wrong* and this entire venture** isn't a comic art version of The Home Shopping Network ;)

If it is that, no biggie...just put in Marketplace where it belongs.

*But lollollol I am not :)

**Comic Art Live, that is.

But so much of these boards are about the money, even while a number of people have commented that great art is not synonyous with high prices. Besides, people like the show for what it is. 

Perhaps they might consider episodes with a "teardown" of some piece or the other. What is it, other than the artist's name on a page, that makes the page mediocre, great, or lousy?  

1 hour ago, Latverian Tourism Board said:

This is a great idea for a live panel. I still regret not buying that Kirby Days of the Mob page you were selling earlier in the year with that spoke-style layout. It was beautiful Kirby art, and only around 2-3K. Some of these romance pages I’ve seen around are really opening my eyes, too.

Also keep a watchful eye out for great War stories pages not written by Kanigher. Quite a number of artists (including Kirby) saw action during WW II, like Orlando, and you can sometimes feel the grit of war behind the pencils and inks (toned down to satisfy the Comics Code Authority, of course).

Edited by Rick2you2

2 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

Perhaps they might consider episodes with a "teardown" of some piece or the other. What is it, other than the artist's name on a page, that makes the page mediocre, great, or lousy?  

I like that idea.  Also, how about "flashcards".  Bill picks 5 pieces at random from CAF that have been there for 3 years or longer... and not for sale... and Bill does it "live".  Then Glen, Mike and Will must write down their "value" for each piece.  Then we go back and see how well they match.  Kind of like the "Newlywed Game" of comic art.  And then they do a "teardown" as well.