LIVE PANEL TONIGHT ON COMIC ART COLLECTING!
2 2

189 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

Also keep a watchful eye out for great War stories pages not signed by Kanigher

Not sure I understand.  What personal experiences did Robert Kanigher have (or not have) with war ??

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Will_K said:

Not sure I understand.  What personal experiences did Robert Kanigher have (or not have) with war ??

Skip it. Brain freeze.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Will_K said:

I like that idea.  Also, how about "flashcards".  Bill picks 5 pieces at random from CAF that have been there for 3 years or longer... and not for sale... and Bill does it "live".  Then Glen, Mike and Will must write down their "value" for each piece.  Then we go back and see how well they match.  Kind of like the "Newlywed Game" of comic art.  And then they do a "teardown" as well.

That’s a great idea?  Brings to mind two other possibilities for CAF ‘gladiator’ games...

1.  “Best Buys”.  Glen, Mike and Will each take an amount, say $100k, and 24 hours to create a “Best Buys” list of hypothetical purchases of currently available pieces—-  FS on CAF, BIN on eBay or pieces listed on dealer website (excluding their own of course).  Each presents what they would buy with the $100k and why, audience votes on who got the best haul.  Would be fascinating to see (1) what the experts consider ‘smart buys’ if they had to pay retail prices and (2) highlight FS items that deserve attention...and spur sales of noteworthy, well-priced items for sellers. 

2.  “Price is Right”.  Borrowing from our Chicago star chamber (Ron, Chris, Chris), Bill identifies 10 pieces from an upcoming auction...Mike, Glen and Will gives their estimates for the hammer prices of each lot...overall winner for combined hammer price for all 10 lots (ie, closest to the pin).  

Thoughts?

Edited by GreatEscape
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, vodou said:

Home Shopping Network

When the topic was mentioned a few weeks ago, I expected a discussion in the abstract without the guys showing pieces they were selling.  But most of it was a discussion about pieces they had for sale (or were about to go on the market).  

As fate would have it, HSN was mentioned several times towards the end.  Compliments to the funny comments that went along.  I like that Mike was pulling out pieces for under $500.  Most of them did not go along with the "affordable art by masters" theme.  But if you wanted him to show decent "affordable" pieces with known characters that were not drawn by considered "masters", Mike definitely did that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Will_K said:

When the topic was mentioned a few weeks ago, I expected a discussion in the abstract without the guys showing pieces they were selling.  But most of it was a discussion about pieces they had for sale (or were about to go on the market).  

As fate would have it, HSN was mentioned several times towards the end.  Compliments to the funny comments that went along.  I like that Mike was pulling out pieces for under $500.  Most of them did not go along with the "affordable art by masters" theme.  But if you wanted him to show decent "affordable" pieces with known characters that were not drawn by considered "masters", Mike definitely did that.

And there is nothing wrong with any of that, but the promotion of such -like all FS listings/promotion- should be, must be in...Marketplace.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they could have had the discussion without using examples that they were selling.  Instead they could have used examples from CAF or HA or wherever.

For example, Don Newton was mentioned and there were a couple viewer comments about him. 

They could have said he's mostly known for drawing Batman, Captain Marvel (Shazam!) and the Phantom.  If you were going to find "affordable" Newton art from Batman or Detective Comics, it would probably be a page with no major characters and probably not inked by Alfredo Alcala.  But it would still be a great page.

... and then discuss some examples from CAF. 

Also, Newton did occasional fill-in issues (even a few Brave & Bolds), the art isn't plentiful but they're nice. 

On the flipside, a few years ago, Newton's art for Ch'p (a squirrel-like Green Lantern) was going for pretty steep prices (Newton also being a co-creator).  You can't win them all.

 

Edited by Will_K
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Will_K said:

I think they could have had the discussion without using examples that they were selling.  Instead they could have used examples from CAF or HA or wherever.

For example, Don Newton was mentioned and there were a couple viewer comments about him. 

They could have said he's mostly known for drawing Batman, Captain Marvel (Shazam!) and the Phantom.  If you were going to find "affordable" Newton art from Batman or Detective Comics, it would probably be a page with no major characters and probably not inked by Alfredo Alcala.  But it would still be a great page.

... and then discuss some examples from CAF. 

Also, Newton did occasional fill-in issues (even a few Brave & Bolds), the art isn't plentiful but they're nice. 

On the flipside, a few years ago, Newton's art for Ch'p (a squirrel-like Green Lantern) was going for pretty steep prices (Newton also being a co-creator).  You can't win them all.

 

Will,

I’m surprised at your naïveté.

Did you really expect anything different from three ART DEALERS?

MI

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
2 2