• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LIVE PANEL TONIGHT ON COMIC ART COLLECTING!
2 2

189 posts in this topic

Tonight at 9 PM EST, 6 PM PAC.

Comic Art Collector Paul Aguila has been collecting for 8 years, going through an accelerated learning curve when it’s comes to the hobby like many new collectors do. He can recall being scared to pull trigger on a $300 piece and now he's starting to look at much higher ticket items. In his short time as an original comic art collector he's had over 2,000 pieces in his possession. Tonight we'll learn how he got started collecting comic art, and because of his varied tastes in artists and time periods, what gets him to pull the trigger on a purchase.

Edited by glenbru

2 hours ago, glenbru said:

In his short time as an original comic art collector he's had over 2,000 pieces in his possession.

I could throw snark all over this, but I won't, instead looking forward to this :) 

George Hagenauer has collected comics and comic art for more than 50 years, and owns more than 2,500 pieces of original comic art, much of it posted to his CAF Gallery (https://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=4536) which he started back in 2005. George has always been a comic fan and collector and in 1976 he was part of the team that started the Chicago Comicon until it was bought by Wizard World, and he is also a member of the CFA-APA (Comic and Fantasy Art Collectors Amateur Press Association).

33 minutes ago, glenbru said:

George Hagenauer has collected comics and comic art for more than 50 years, and owns more than 2,500 pieces of original comic art, much of it posted to his CAF Gallery (https://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=4536) which he started back in 2005. George has always been a comic fan and collector and in 1976 he was part of the team that started the Chicago Comicon until it was bought by Wizard World, and he is also a member of the CFA-APA (Comic and Fantasy Art Collectors Amateur Press Association).

In a hobby with more than its fair share of interesting folks, George has always struck me as one of the most interesting, so I'm definitely looking forward to tonight's panel with him.

George has helped me acquire a few nice additions to my collection.  I've never chatted with him so I learned a lot from him from this CAF video.  However, a main takeaway from this video is "exit strategy". 

As mentioned in the video, George can make a return appearance to discuss paper acidity and whatever he likes.

Edited by Will_K

Glen and Mike, definitely enjoy your post Heritage show. Quick thought is maybe each of you pick three or four pieces that might not have been top dollar sellers but you want to comment on (I know you did a little bit of that). Maybe even give some good insight why something might be a good buy or an anomaly price, or whatever.

I say that for a reason;

I looked back at a few of the last Heritage Auctions, and around 90% or more of the top selling pieces, never show up in anyone's CAF gallery. I would bet a lot more of the lesser price pieces do. And since this is a CAF show, I would think some of us would like to hear your unapologetic opinions on our purchases (well, maybe).

Lastly, I was the underbidder on the Schomburg Invaders page. Probably drove the price up a few grand (seemed that way). While it really only had one good panel, the fact that there are only seven comic art pages by Schomburg after 1951, makes it a rarity that in my mind, outweighs a ton of art (even from that time). Plenty of average covers go for more than that. I kind of like the idea of owning pieces that are rare. Unfortunately, this will not be one of those.

34 minutes ago, sfilosa said:

Glen and Mike, definitely enjoy your post Heritage show. Quick thought is maybe each of you pick three or four pieces that might not have been top dollar sellers but you want to comment on (I know you did a little bit of that). Maybe even give some good insight why something might be a good buy or an anomaly price, or whatever.

I say that for a reason;

I looked back at a few of the last Heritage Auctions, and around 90% or more of the top selling pieces, never show up in anyone's CAF gallery. I would bet a lot more of the lesser price pieces do. And since this is a CAF show, I would think some of us would like to hear your unapologetic opinions on our purchases (well, maybe).

Lastly, I was the underbidder on the Schomburg Invaders page. Probably drove the price up a few grand (seemed that way). While it really only had one good panel, the fact that there are only seven comic art pages by Schomburg after 1951, makes it a rarity that in my mind, outweighs a ton of art (even from that time). Plenty of average covers go for more than that. I kind of like the idea of owning pieces that are rare. Unfortunately, this will not be one of those.

I loved that page and bid on it as well but dropped out much earlier. The panel with Torch was fantastic!