LIVE PANEL TONIGHT ON COMIC ART COLLECTING!
2 2

163 posts in this topic

2,748 posts
21 hours ago, glenbru said:

 

Another enjoyable episode. Some I knew about Scott and much I didn't. Would have loved to hear the story on how he convinced Dave Stevens to be the first Artist Edition with his Rockteer. I miss much of the epodes since I am on the west coast and do not leave work until after they start. Would have liked to ask about if there will ever be a vol 2 of Xenozoic Tales. Keep up the good work to Scott and the Comic Art Live Crazy Gang!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
730 posts
2 hours ago, Brian Peck said:

Another enjoyable episode. Some I knew about Scott and much I didn't. Would have loved to hear the story on how he convinced Dave Stevens to be the first Artist Edition with his Rockteer. I miss much of the epodes since I am on the west coast and do not leave work until after they start. Would have liked to ask about if there will ever be a vol 2 of Xenozoic Tales. Keep up the good work to Scott and the Comic Art Live Crazy Gang!!!!

Thanks Brian! You know you can watch them anytime on FB or Youtube.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,748 posts
5 minutes ago, glenbru said:

Thanks Brian! You know you can watch them anytime on FB or Youtube.

I ment I missed most of the episode live and I wasn't able to ask questions. I always watch the posted videos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
173 posts

Now I know I should bring a lucky quarter with me whenever I go to conventions!

But seriously, that was a great episode!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,746 posts

Scott was the largest modern era dealer at the time. I do recall the coin flip stories.

I also recall him repping Bolland and bringing over all those Animal Man covers to SDCC.  I was familiar with Bolland's work on Judge Dredd but Animal Man was not a title I followed. IIRC Prices were between US$500 - US$1000.  Unheard of at the time.

When Scott left for Wildstorm, that opened the door for Albert, (and others), to expand exponentially.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
646 posts
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, NelsonAI said:

I also recall him repping Bolland

Yeah.  I really remember he had Bolland's Sgt Rock pinup hanging a show.  Still one of the best things Bolland ever did for DC.  Amazing piece.  Unfortunately it had already sold to the guy helping him at the show, that's why it was still up there.

Scott also handled art for Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez.

Scott was also selling Bruce Timm's art before Albert.  I remember he had a ton of Timm's girl drawings for sale at one SDCC.  There was this one guy snatching up a bunch of the best ones.  I was lucky enough to get just one back then.

The first Watchmen page I ever saw for sale was listed by Scott in the CBG.  It was the silent page in Watchmen 1 where Rorschach finds the Comedian's secret closet and lays out his costume.

Edited by Will_K

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
714 posts
On 10/2/2020 at 9:23 PM, gumbydarnit said:

Judging from this podcast and his Felix Lu podcast appearance, Scott Dunbier seems like a fun guy to hang out with at a con, a good dude with good stories and one heck of a interesting career in comics. Plus a big thank you goes out to him for his beautiful Artists Editions!
 

Raising a virtual glass to Mr Dunbier!

After the show ended last Tuesday and just us 5 guys were there still...SCOTT and I did a QUARTER COIN FLIP on CAMERA and we bet for DINNER in San Diego next year..(If we even have the con) I let SCOTT call it in the air... He called his proverbial "TAILS" and I had my camera watch the quarter fall live, and it came up HEADS! So Scott will be treating me to a nice Brazilain Barbecue (if its open) for San Diego Con 2021!  LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,599 posts
On 9/18/2020 at 4:32 PM, glendgold said:

Maybe even Sal Buscema money.

5E5403DE-7B6D-49BB-B1A5-35CA55396A90.gif.c8e887ec63f2daa6567e5a44d8ac19aa.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,934 posts
Posted (edited)

Wait a minute. During ComicArt Live Episode 16 did Ray Cuthbert actually say??? ( 14:17-14:37) concerning San Mateo Art ( Los Bros ) in 1986 that

1) While inquiring about a page he wanted he was.....:takeit:.....

 a) told the page had already sold and was steered towards two other pages he did not ask for? :(

 b) The following Catalog (San Mateo- Los Bros) came out with the same page Ray originally wanted, told was already sold, now listed at a higher price?

The legend grows.:facepalm:

Edited by grapeape

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,177 posts

As long as you've been around, that was news to you? Really?
Stuff like that has been one of their bread and butter moves for decades. Dozens and dozens of stories like that out there. All have been distilled down into that classic phrase "I gotta go ask my brother."

Tales of bait and switch. Of bouncing prices. Of pieces for sale that were suddenly not for sale. Of pieces marked with one price and then not the real price. Of telling one person one price, then upping it, then upping it again, then selling to someone else for less than price #1 all at the same show, etc. and so on. It makes no sense. Don't try and understand. Truly an enigma worth avoiding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,582 posts
1 hour ago, ESeffinga said:

Stuff like that has been one of their bread and butter moves for decades.

The earliest tale I've heard is of San Mateo catalogs ordered in the late 70s or very early 80s out of OPG (or was it CBG?) and never received. Not just one guy, many. Booming business back then at a buck a clip ;) , then they got "greedy" and ruined everything lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,934 posts
5 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

As long as you've been around, that was news to you? Really?
Stuff like that has been one of their bread and butter moves for decades. Dozens and dozens of stories like that out there. All have been distilled down into that classic phrase "I gotta go ask my brother."

Tales of bait and switch. Of bouncing prices. Of pieces for sale that were suddenly not for sale. Of pieces marked with one price and then not the real price. Of telling one person one price, then upping it, then upping it again, then selling to someone else for less than price #1 all at the same show, etc. and so on. It makes no sense. Don't try and understand. Truly an enigma worth avoiding.

ESeffinga you know how I roll. Of course I know their shenanigans. It’s just a revelation every time a new example of the hijinks is revealed. I mean, I’m cruising along, enjoying Ray’s stroll down memory lane. Then bam!!! You’ve been “Donellyed” Another victim experiencing the trail of tears 😭 art Tom foolery.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
340 posts
9 hours ago, vodou said:

The earliest tale I've heard is of San Mateo catalogs ordered in the late 70s or very early 80s out of OPG (or was it CBG?) and never received. Not just one guy, many. Booming business back then at a buck a clip ;) , then they got "greedy" and ruined everything lol

Well I ordered their catalog in the late 70s. I still have it here. I've attached photos. It took around 80 days to get the catalog. I wrote to complain and they said they mail bulk rate and they had to wait until 100+ catalog requests came in and I had just missed the last one.

I said to myself if they take almost three months to send a catalog,  I don't think I'm going to get any kind of customer service if I order something, so I didn't. 

 

 

IMG_8447.jpg

IMG_8449.jpg

IMG_8448.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,582 posts
33 minutes ago, artcollector9 said:

Well I ordered their catalog in the late 70s. I still have it here. I've attached photos. It took around 80 days to get the catalog. I wrote to complain and they said they mail bulk rate and they had to wait until 100+ catalog requests came in and I had just missed the last one.

I said to myself if they take almost three months to send a catalog,  I don't think I'm going to get any kind of customer service if I order something, so I didn't. 

 

 

IMG_8447.jpg

IMG_8449.jpg

IMG_8448.jpg

That was probably the last time anybody saw "firm" prices from them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,934 posts
2 hours ago, vodou said:

That was probably the last time anybody saw "firm" prices from them.

If I’d ordered “Superman hitchhiking”back then it would probably arrive by this Christmas?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,280 posts
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, vodou said:

That was probably the last time anybody saw "firm" prices from them.

When I bought the Wood All-Star calendar art From Woody at the Seuling NYCC back in 1977, there was a border on the art.

Years later when I reacquired it, the “Double D” bros. trimmed the art to the border.

Edited by artdealer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,748 posts
19 hours ago, vodou said:

The earliest tale I've heard is of San Mateo catalogs ordered in the late 70s or very early 80s out of OPG (or was it CBG?) and never received. Not just one guy, many. Booming business back then at a buck a clip ;) , then they got "greedy" and ruined everything lol

I ordered one of their catalogues and it took 3 years to get it. I lived 20 minutes from their store and remember paying for the catalogue and waiting and waiting. I had been to their store in San Mateo a number of times. One day I was there and they had brought their original comic art collection to the store. Piled up on long boxes of comic books throughout the stores. I spent the afternoon looking thru the collection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
2 2