• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mechanical Errors on New Slabs
2 2

28 posts in this topic

I have received 5 slabs back from CGC over the last 90 days and 4/5 of them had noticeable white scuffs, dots or streaks that appear to be on the inner well. The fifth one also had a scuff but it was smaller than a 1/4 of an inch and it was on a corner so I disregarded it. They diagnosed the problem as mechanical errors that occur from vibrations that occur while shipping the comics. To CGC's credit they have offered to reholder them for me at no charge and pay for shipping and the customer service has been excellent.

I am curious if other collectors are also receiving these streaks, dots and scuffs when they receive newly slabbed comics. If so, what percentage of your shipments are impacted? Have you had luck with customer service getting a complimentary re-holder?

Do some of you disregard the streaks or not check?

A damaged slab seems to impact fair market value on eBay,  mycomicshop and other venues so I am curious how others feel about this issue.

2116421177_InkedASM17Back_LI.jpg.cb6ae63f27f5ae7e9138cd5b10fa829e.jpgInkedASM 17 Front_LI.jpg

InkedASM 238 Back_LI.jpg

InkedASM 238 Front_LI.jpg

InkedUXM 266 Back_LI.jpg

UXM 266 Front Bottom.jpeg

UXM 266 Front Top.jpeg

Edited by PickleRick1216

This has been an issue with their slabs for months. At some point the cost of them reholdering these slabs, sometimes more than once, has to outweigh the cost of them just using a higher quality material. 

23 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

This has been an issue with their slabs for months. At some point the cost of them reholdering these slabs, sometimes more than once, has to outweigh the cost of them just using a higher quality material. 

Has this happened to you? If so, roughly what percentage of your submissions?

24 minutes ago, PickleRick1216 said:

Has this happened to you? If so, roughly what percentage of your submissions?

Over the last six months I would say about 50% of my received slabs have this type of scuffing, ranging from "Tolerable Amounts" to "Is This a Joke?".

2 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

hard to believe scuffs like that INSIDE the case are a result of shipping. 

The inner well is LOOSE inside the case now and causes those spots when vibrating during shipping.

The inner case didn't use to be loose.

The spots inside the case happen ALOT.

I guess they want to keep doing the same thing over and over and hope for the best.

I have a reholder that is on it's THIRD attempt because of the spots.

On books with dark or black covers the spots are pretty obvious.

2 minutes ago, Timmay said:

The inner well is LOOSE inside the case now and causes those spots when vibrating during shipping.

The inner case didn't use to be loose.

The spots inside the case happen ALOT.

I guess they want to keep doing the same thing over and over and hope for the best.

I have a reholder that is on it's THIRD attempt because of the spots.

On books with dark or black covers the spots are pretty obvious.

I have noticed the loose inner wells as well. Some seem to be looser than others. Several of mine slide around inside the slab and make an audible thud when hitting the side when the slab is rotated.

6 hours ago, PickleRick1216 said:

I have received 5 slabs back from CGC over the last 90 days and 4/5 of them had noticeable white scuffs, dots or streaks that appear to be on the inner well. The fifth one also had a scuff but it was smaller than a 1/4 of an inch and it was on a corner so I disregarded it. They diagnosed the problem as mechanical errors that occur from vibrations that occur while shipping the comics. To CGC's credit they have offered to reholder them for me at no charge and pay for shipping and the customer service has been excellent.

I am curious if other collectors are also receiving these streaks, dots and scuffs when they receive newly slabbed comics. If so, what percentage of your shipments are impacted? Have you had luck with customer service getting a complimentary re-holder?

Do some of you disregard the streaks or not check?

A damaged slab seems to impact fair market value on eBay,  mycomicshop and other venues so I am curious how others feel about this issue.

Since we're dealing with plastic, it's probably always going to be an issue to some degree. The difference can sometimes be whether the Quality Control person is able to catch the specific problem and have it corrected before the books are shipped. Please bear in mind that Quality Control at CGC is an extremely demanding job, since you have to be able to catch a number of potential problems and there is almost always a profound sense of urgency involved. IMO, it would be very difficult to diagnose a problem such as the inner well moving around within the holder, which would help explain why those books are slipping through the system. 

With that said, if you're not happy with the final product, I would strongly advise returning the books and allowing them to fix the problem...

Is it just me?  I don't give a rat's azz about light scratches, scuff marks or marks on the plastic that I will see at certain angles with a loupe. Have you seen how slabs are handled at shows?  They go up a wall, the come down a wall...some many, many times across multiple shows.  God forbid they're in a box and people peruse through them like, maybe, comic books?  People need to relax and live a happy existence - they're encapsulating the comic book with a protective hard shell that is exposed to the cruel world - it's doing wha it's supposed to.  I don't care if it's coming straight from CGC - the label on the slab is for the comic in it, not for the encapsulation.  The only exception that I will grant is if there's a poor encapsulation that either can damage the book (remember puddling?  or introduces foreign material into the slab - that, I agree, is poor QA.