• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mechanical Errors on New Slabs
2 2

28 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, JazzMan said:

Is it just me?  I don't give a rat's azz about light scratches, scuff marks or marks on the plastic that I will see at certain angles with a loupe. Have you seen how slabs are handled at shows?  They go up a wall, the come down a wall...some many, many times across multiple shows.  God forbid they're in a box and people peruse through them like, maybe, comic books?  People need to relax and live a happy existence - they're encapsulating the comic book with a protective hard shell that is exposed to the cruel world - it's doing wha it's supposed to.  I don't care if it's coming straight from CGC - the label on the slab is for the comic in it, not for the encapsulation.  The only exception that I will grant is if there's a poor encapsulation that either can damage the book (remember puddling?  or introduces foreign material into the slab - that, I agree, is poor QA. 

That's all well and good until a customer wants a refund because of said issues. 

As long as people tolerate this stuff and keep sending them submissions, they will never make changes and why should they when the gravy train keeps rolling in? As soon as it starts to affect their bottom line then you betcha they will make changes. I keep hearing that the primary competition has better slab quality and I'm starting to believe that. 

Edited by Jeffro.

I just received the three books that I sent back to CGC for complimentary re-holder due to mechanical error scuffs, scratches and circular scuffs. All three had more scuffs, scratches and circular scuffs and two of the three look slightly worse than when I sent them back for re-holdering.

I'm sure that CGC would agree to re-holder them a third time but I don't have a high degree of confidence that they would come back any better than they are now.

Same here. I am sending back. They said it was due to "vibrations" in transit. The back covers look ok. I am pretty disappointed. My value tier arrived okay, but the modern came this way. The certification is supposed to extiguish any question of the grade. If I want to sell these one day I want to sell "Certified 9.8", not a "9.8 but sorry crud inside the case". Hopefully it will get fixed.

IMG_7210.JPG

IMG_7215.JPG

IMG_7216.JPG

IMG_7213.JPG

ZOMBIE TRAMP #57 9.8 (3).JPG

I wonder what the average level of damage is for sending a book back and forth.  It's not zero.

I'm with the guy who says he doesn't care that much about holder imperfections.  If the book is safe and the crappy holder isn't too crappy I'd let it be.  Every round trip that book makes is like running a gauntlet. The book WILL eventually get killed in the back of a big rig truck piloted by a meth addict.