• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Am I the only one who finds the Comic Connect grades on raw off?
3 3

52 posts in this topic

Wow, that’s a lot of variation.

I’ve got 1,300 (ish) mostly Marvel Silver/Bronze Age Books that were bagged/backed/boxed back in the late 70s.

I’ve graded all of them based on the evolving standards over the years, but am not sure if the many 9.2, 9.4, 9.6, 9.8s I have are appropriately graded. I think I’m too hard on very small flaws on 45 to 55 year old books.

Thoughts?

I think Metro must have some sort of business model with the overgraded raw books. Maybe 99% of the customers never return the books, and they just have to deal with those who do. Steve and Vinnie are too smart to not know that their grades are off. I wonder what grade CGC.would give to that Marvel Family? :fear:

There was a member here(he hasn't been around in a long time) who bought a restored Marvel Mystery 9 from Metro. The "restoration" turned out to be all four corners of the book trimmed. He couldn't get a refund because he was past the time limit, and Metro said they disclosed because the book was listed as "restored". I think they've gotten better with disclosing exactly what kind of resto was done to books since then.

21 hours ago, Yajusgotta said:

Wow, that’s a lot of variation.

I’ve got 1,300 (ish) mostly Marvel Silver/Bronze Age Books that were bagged/backed/boxed back in the late 70s.

I’ve graded all of them based on the evolving standards over the years, but am not sure if the many 9.2, 9.4, 9.6, 9.8s I have are appropriately graded. I think I’m too hard on very small flaws on 45 to 55 year old books.

Thoughts?

I think being conservative is the way to go. Grading is subjective so if you see a flaw that might bring the grade down, the particular grader might feel the same. From reading these boards, there are too many people who think they'll get 9.8s and don't. 

On 5/20/2020 at 9:54 AM, William-James88 said:
On 5/20/2020 at 9:45 AM, www.alexgross.com said:

i only ever buy raw books in person at conventions (remember those?) 

What's that?

These things where you dress up in a costume and pay $ to get c and d list celebrities autographs.

Yeah they over grade big time. Just shows how many comic buyers are clueless or they wouldn't sell many raw books.

Edited by Myowncollector
Add more

Good stuff here. I have my own guidelines for my personal collection, but if you are selling to others you should use cgc or overstreet. People aren't going to or want to hear about your stores guidelines. Overstreet used to be a lot stricter, at some point they adapted to cgc it seems. Cgc might not publish their standards but if you have owned a few hundred or thousand slabs you know what they are if you pay any attention to the books inside the slab. 

Really though if they 1. Take good photos and disclose hard to see defects or 2. I can return the book if the grade isn't what they claim. It doesn't matter what grade they call it.

20 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

I think Metro must have some sort of business model with the overgraded raw books. Maybe 99% of the customers never return the books, and they just have to deal with those who do. Steve and Vinnie are too smart to not know that their grades are off. I wonder what grade CGC.would give to that Marvel Family? :fear:

There was a member here(he hasn't been around in a long time) who bought a restored Marvel Mystery 9 from Metro. The "restoration" turned out to be all four corners of the book trimmed. He couldn't get a refund because he was past the time limit, and Metro said they disclosed because the book was listed as "restored". I think they've gotten better with disclosing exactly what kind of resto was done to books since then.

not really :(