• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much does color touch affect value?
1 1

17 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

True. A bit of a leading question I guess. I would say fairly well done amataur but most of the spine. Does this help?

100%!

I would put this under the "worst case scenario". As in, if highest percentage drop for a restored copy is 60%, then I would expect this to sell for that 40%.

Keep in mind that I am no expert on this stuff, though. Amateur + "a lot" = bad news for resale.

Gotcha. I figured as such. It is just so pretty otherwise. A real shame. It is such an eye popper, 

Now to my next point. I have a nice presenting 3.0 unrestored. Not as nice color wise. If I were to sell one, would the lower grade one be the one to keep?

I don’t buy many restored books but sometimes ones just pop up at a price it’s hard to turn down.

Just now, Robot Man said:

Gotcha. I figured as such. It is just so pretty otherwise. A real shame. It is such an eye popper, 

Now to my next point. I have a nice presenting 3.0 unrestored. Not as nice color wise. If I were to sell one, would the lower grade one be the one to keep?

I don’t buy many restored books but sometimes ones just pop up at a price it’s hard to turn down.

I would keep whichever one you like more. Absolutely nothing wrong with restored books.

2 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I would keep whichever one you like more. Absolutely nothing wrong with restored books.

Thanks. I agree but usually, I prefer un-restored. I’m thinking. I just keep them both. I don’t really need two and if I sold one, I could get something else I need as well. I know, not a bad problem to have...:roflmao:

8 minutes ago, csaag said:

For 1 single data point - I just saw a CGC 7.0 purple, due to C-1,  X-Men 94 sell for $275 on Ebay

Blue 7.0 universals recently sold on Ebay seem to be around $400  That's about a 30% drop

Thanks. I figured the drop would be more. But we are both talking about a key which might be the reason the drop would be less.

My starting point for minor resto like tear seals and small amounts of c.t. is to cut the grade in half (and round up if need be) to figure approximate FMV, and then adjust to consider factors like how would the restored grade have been impacted without the resto, the quality and amount of the work, potential for reversal, scarcity of the book, eye-appeal and demand for the book. When you get to the lowest and highest grades, the math may not work as well, but from 4.0-8.0 it often does.

The bleed through on the spine you show speaks to amateur work that may be considered just a bit more than "minor", and the tape undercuts the potential for a 6.0 grade. VoH #35 is in demand, but it's not particularly scarce, so midgrade copies can easily be found without color touch. If it has 6.0 eye-appeal and structure, then my guess is the value would be in the neighborhood of an unrestored 3.0, possibly closer to a 4.0 with a buyer who values eye-appeal. 

My personal preference as a collector would be for a 6.0 with minor and hard to see resto that looks good in mylar over a 3.0 with notably inferior eye-appeal, at the same price, but such a book is probably a bit more difficult to sell down the road, and if one prefers their books slabbed, will carry the distraction of the purple label. 

Edited by rjpb

6 hours ago, csaag said:

For 1 single data point - I just saw a CGC 7.0 purple, due to C-1,  X-Men 94 sell for $275 on Ebay

Blue 7.0 universals recently sold on Ebay seem to be around $400  That's about a 30% drop

Lower cost mid-grade resto books sell at less of a discount, in general. I sold a SS1 6.0 with color touch for $400, and oddly enough, an X-Men 94 7.0 with color touch for $300.

But a TTA 27 9.0 with color touch that I had went for a little over $6000. That’s upwards of a 90% discount. 

Obviously the purple label brings down the sale price. However that just allows me to buy it cheaper lol.

As for how much, I haven't looked at enough restored books to really tell, and I don't really think some minor color touch on the cover should drop prices drastically.