• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman vs Thor
2 2

226 posts in this topic

Just now, Hollywood1892 said:

Absolutely 

If he is undefeatable what is the point of putting him into comics? He will always come out on top, to me that is boring

:roflmao:

May wanna try reading a few comics with Superman in them, because this isn't true.

This is a discussion about WODC Superman vs MCU Thor. Just because MCU Thor can't beat Superman, you wanna call him "a cancer to comics"?

Every hero always "comes out on top". What is the point of any comic book story, then?

"If god is all-powerful, then cannot be all good. If he is all-good, then he cannot be all powerful." Superman is the ultimate ideal to strive towards.

18 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

"If god is all-powerful, then cannot be all good. If he is all-good, then he cannot be all powerful." Superman is the ultimate ideal to strive towards.

The whole Ubermensch theory...

You do realize the ridiculous nature to strive towards 'Superman'? Human beings will never evolve to shooting red lasers out of our eyes or leaping over tall buildings...the problem with that type of focus is it all pertains to physical incapacitation, nothing to do with morality (which in essence the whole ubermensch thesis was about) from a moral perspective Superman was an arrogant full blown jerk who saw himself as above everyone else, not lofty ideals I would strive towards. In my opinion that type of Hubris leads to catastrophic events.

Superman is not a utilitarian idealist as much as would lead you to believe in the comic books, he doesnt save people for the sake of the greater good, he saves them for self serving purposes, like self recognition...people know who Superman is, which is different then knowing of someone...imagine all these events took place and someone magically rescued them, but nobody ever knew who this someone was, no one ever saw them...

Edited by Hollywood1892

I have seen Thor do some things with magic that would be difficult for Superman to deal with. For example: Thor could magically transport Superman to a different location / reality where Superman is not affected by Earths yellow sun.

Thor can summon lightning at will and it definitely affects Superman.

15 hours ago, Comics4All said:

Thor's  chance is to use his lightning (most likely magical) the way Captain Marvel did to him in Kingdom Come.

However,  if Superman can gather his wits while being bombarded by the lighting & use his super speed, I think he overpowers Thor! 

Thor has better hair than Clark, mullet or no mullet! lol

Thor has salon quality hair!!! 

Thor can control (regular) lightning. Captain Marvel is transformed by magical lightning bolts.

26 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Superman is not a utilitarian idealist as much as would lead you to believe in the comic books, he doesnt save people for the sake of the greater good, he saves them for self serving purposes, like self recognition...people know who Superman is, which is different then knowing of someone...imagine all these events took place and someone magically rescued them, but nobody ever knew who this someone was, no one ever saw them...

Why would you need to imagine something that actually happens in the comics?

34 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

The whole Ubermensch theory...

You do realize the ridiculous nature to strive towards 'Superman'? Human beings will never evolve to shooting red lasers out of our eyes or leaping over tall buildings...the problem with that type of focus is it all pertains to physical incapacitation, nothing to do with morality (which in essence the whole ubermensch thesis was about) from a moral perspective Superman was an arrogant full blown jerk who saw himself as above everyone else, not lofty ideals I would strive towards. In my opinion that type of Hubris leads to catastrophic events.

What's ridiculous about trying to be/do the ultimate "good"...? You clearly misunderstand the ideology of Superman. It's not about striving to be a Kryptonian on Earth. It's being a Superman - the "ultimate Boy Scout".

You've convinced me that you have never read a Superman comic.

23 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Why would you need to imagine something that actually happens in the comics?

Imagination...the entire scope of comic books

That is like saying, why would you need to imagine something that actually happens in Star Trek

Where do you think the idea for the cell phone was born?

@theCapraAegagrus was suggesting we strive to become more like Superman  that desire is born in the mind, exactly where imagination stems from

Edited by Hollywood1892

6 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I've read a couple, at a very young age before I was introduced to the disconnected cruelty of the world

I would suggest a refresher course, then. Your understanding evolves as you age/mature. "Wisdom" and all that.

You don't even have to read a comic book. Man of Steel perfectly portrays a modern Superman origin story while remaining faithful to his character. He does the "right thing" without personal gain/recognition for more than 30 years before donning a recognizable outfit.

You don't have to like Superman, but right now you don't appear to understand him. "People hate what they don't understand", as Martha Kent says.

2 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

What the Hel? No, he isn't.

Yes, he is.  

Think about his original design.  He was designed to always be above and beyond any situation, physically.  

The fact that nothing can kill him (so long as he’s at full power) is just bad writing.  Why do you think The “death of Superman” sold so well?  People were curious about not only who, but what could possibly take down Clark.  

My brother and I have had this conversation a million times over.  Can Hulk beat him?  No.  Can Thor beat him?  No.  Can Silver Surfer beat him?  No.  Can Zod beat him?  No.  Can Galactus beat him?  No.  Can the beyonder beat him?  No.  Can Darkseid Omega beams beat him?  No.  Can the Sword of Omens beat him?  No.  Can Gokou beat him?  No.  WTF????  L A M E.

We’d be playing with our “Super powers” collection as kids, and no matter what was thrown at Superman it would bounce off that stupid “S” on his chest.  “It’s Superman!  Nothing can hurt him!”  FOH.

...yes, I am emotionally damaged because of Superman’s invulnerability.😅

...rant over...🤨

Just now, Comixroc said:

Yes, he is.  

Think about his original design.  He was designed to always be above and beyond any situation, physically.  

The fact that nothing can kill him (so long as he’s at full power) is just bad writing.  Why do you think The “death of Superman” sold so well?  People were curious about not only who, but what could possibly take down Clark.  

My brother and I have had this conversation a million times over.  Can Hulk beat him?  No.  Can Thor beat him?  No.  Can Silver Surfer beat him?  No.  Can Zod beat him?  No.  Can Galactus beat him?  No.  Can the beyonder beat him?  No.  Can Darkseid Omega beams beat him?  No.  Can the Sword of Omens beat him?  No.  Can Gokou beat him?  No.  WTF????  L A M E.

We’d be playing with our “Super powers” collection as kids, and no matter what was thrown at Superman it would bounce off that stupid “S” on his chest.  “It’s Superman!  Nothing can hurt him!”  FOH.

...yes, I am emotionally damaged because of Superman’s invulnerability.😅

...rant over...🤨

No, he isn't. He literally jump-started the superhero comic genre.

You are observing his creation/existence incorrectly; He's not like typical characters for a reason. He represents an ideal.

You may might wanna watch the Goku vs Superman Death Battle videos to understand what Superman was written for.

All things equal, Zod actually could beat Superman. Darkseid is more OP than Superman.

Has Thor ever fought Gladiator.  I know he's skirmished with Hyperion who was his universes Superman knockoff.

On the other hand, Superman has made short work of Hercules on a couple of occasions.

I'm just not seeing it.

13 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

No, he isn't. He literally jump-started the superhero comic genre.

You are observing his creation/existence incorrectly; He's not like typical characters for a reason. He represents an ideal.

You may might wanna watch the Goku vs Superman Death Battle videos to understand what Superman was written for.

All things equal, Zod actually could beat Superman. Darkseid is more OP than Superman.

Ok, if he’s an “ideal”, and an “ideal” cannot be defeated or destroyed....🤔🤔🤔🤔, that means he can never be beaten.