• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zack Snyder's JUSTICE LEAGUE on HBO Max (2021)
1 1

590 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Honestly 

He looks exhausted 

Sounds like it's a race now with Ava to get Darkseid out!

I can only image the pressure that now comes to pulling this together, to include calling people back that moved on to other projects.

To the delight of DC fans everywhere, the Justice League Snyder cut is coming to HBO Max. But how does this version set up a Justice League 2?

Here's how the forthcoming Snyder cut sets up a Justice League sequel. Such was the dissatisfaction DC fans felt following the release of 2017's Justice League, a dedicated movement was formed to lobby for the release of Zack Snyder's original version. Warner Bros. had already altered Snyder's vision for Justice League after the underwhelming reception afforded to Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice, but when the director departed the post-production process due to personal circumstances, Joss Whedon was drafted in, and sweeping changes were made to the Justice League Snyder had filmed.

Fortunately, that campaign was successful and Zack Snyder's Justice League will land on the HBO Max streaming service in 2021, but thanks to numerous leaks, reports and reveals from Snyder himself, fans already have at least some idea of what the Snyder cut will entail. Among the biggest differences Warner Bros. and Whedon made to Snyder's Justice League are a completely different resurrection for Superman, the addition of Darkseid and a far darker tone. Another major alteration is Justice League's transformation from a shared universe film that harks back to previous releases and sets up future sequels to something more self-contained.

The Introduction Of Darkseid

he big setup for Justice League 2 in Snyder's story was the reveal of Darkseid as an overarching villain. Batman V Superman begins teasing a larger evil presence lingering in the background and Darkseid's arrival was originally intended to pay off these hints. Instead, the theatrical Justice League omits Darkseid almost entirely and retcons the subject of those early warnings to Steppenwolf, who acted as the sole enemy in the League's first mission. While the Snyder cut keeps Steppenwolf as a main antagonist, his connection to Darkseid would've been much more overt. After the Justice League finally (and brutally) defeat Steppenwolf, his master would arrive via Boom Tube, with Darkseid revealing himself as the DCEU's big bad.

Darkseid's presence in Justice League wouldn't have just been a final sting either; the villain was voiced by Ray Porter and referenced throughout the film. For example, the opening flashback to Steppenwolf's initial invasion of Earth would've shown Darkseid leading the attack, doing battle against the likes of Ares whose role was dramatically cut back for the Whedon scene. Jesse Eisenberg's Lex Luthor reportedly also enjoyed a bigger part in the Justice League Snyder cut, and his ominous jailbird ramblings would portend Darkseid's eventual arrival, as first seen in Batman V Superman.

Darkseid would've then formed the basis of Justice League 2, providing the DC team with a bigger challenge. However, in their post-Batman V Superman shuffle, Warner Bros. evidently decided to cash-out of their shared universe and focus on less interconnected stories. While this approach has arguably been beneficial to the DCEU on the whole, it did leave Snyder's Darkseid setup woefully unfulfilled.

The Knightmare Storyline

Another key DCEU Snyder storyline axed in post-production was Justice League's continuation of the Knightmare material. In Batman V Superman, Bruce Wayne sees an apocalyptic future where Superman is evil and Earth has been pounded into a desolate wasteland, while Barry Allen arrives from the future to send Bruce a warning. These scenes were the first real indications of Snyder's multi-movie plans, but Justice League drops the plot entirely, leaving fans to assume Bruce had just been reading too many comic books before bed, perhaps.

Predictably, the Snyder cut would've continued to develop those Knightmare sequences, which would come to prominence fully in a Justice League sequel. As confirmed by Snyder on his Vero account, his intention for the flashback invasion was to set up the Anti-Life Equation. This cosmic power to dominate entire worlds would've served as both the means and motivation for Darkseid's invasion of Earth. The villain comes to our humble planet in order to finish the Equation and then uses it to subjugate the Earth's population, creating the Knightmare world Bruce Wayne had glimpsed previously. The Anti-Life Equation would essentially act as the DCEU's Infinity Stones, and Justice League would set the math problem up by showing symbols scorched into Earth's ground.

On 5/26/2020 at 7:08 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

As it has been mentioned by others on social media:

If you want(ed) the Snyder Cut, do not pirate it. Sign up for HBO Max (or buy media) when it drops. If they don't see a meaningful financial reaction to this project, then they (studios) are not gonna care about fandom outcry. They need an incentive.

I already have Amazon Prime and Netflix - don't really care for any other streaming service and I already get HBO with my cable however, I am ordering HBO Max when this gets released. I agree, we need to make them see the benefit in taking this route.

This is the most exiting movie news since the first Spider-man movie was released.

With HBO Max now out, The Verge talks to AT&T’s Otter Media division CEO Goncalves about the latest player in the streaming wars. Of course, the subject of the Snyder Cut is discussed, with the outlet raising concerns about how giving in to the Release the Snyder Cut movement sets a dangerous precedent when it comes to demanding things from studios, evidenced by the growing calls for David Ayer's cut of Suicide Squad to be released after Snyder's Justice League. Goncalves defends their decision by pointing out how it's important for them to listen to their consumers.

"Look, definitely not a precedent."

"And you’re right. There’s different types of fandoms. There’s the fandom you just described, and there’s other fandoms. My reference to the fandoms is the fact that we’re in a space where consumers are loud. Consumers guide, and we absolutely have to listen as an industry. I had a boss that once said, 'Industry and consumers aren’t always aligned, but consumers do tend to win'. It’s a fine balance. And I think when it comes to video, when it comes to entertainment, when it comes to content, consumers have never had more choice, and they’ve never had more of a voice. But that doesn’t mean that we will go and invest our dollars in every single fandom that exists."

"But I think the reference to the Snyder Cut and the Friends fandom is the fact that consumers are speaking, and we have to listen. It doesn’t mean that we’re going to go redo every movie ever made. But I think that we definitely have to have our ear to the ground. And I think we do."

"I just go back to look at the buzz that the Harry Potter library brought us yesterday. It was a wonderful surprise and delight. It’s because consumers are passionate about these franchises."

From a business perspective, it does make sense for HBO Max to capitalize on the clamor for Snyder's Justice League, especially considering the current status of Hollywood. While the platform offers a wide range of movies/TV shows, it's lacking in original content, and at this point, they're unable to greenlight anything given the restrictions in production. Depending on how extensive additional work for the new Justice League will have, it can essentially be an entirely different thing from its theatrical counterpart. Much of the shots needed have been filmed and can be worked on by VFX studios. Any additional work can be incorporated later on, the important thing is that there's progress made even with shelter-in-place mandate.