• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zack Snyder's JUSTICE LEAGUE on HBO Max (2021)
1 1

590 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

PSA: Zhack Snyder, please stop using Leonard Cohen music in your s**t. Bad enough you nearly ruined Watchmen for all time, but you gotta keep doing it to “Hallelujah”? 

Do you not understand the significance of the track choice?

It's weird unless you realize that it literally is "hallelujah" for everyone who campaigned for the Snyder Cut.

55 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

PSA: Zhack Snyder, please stop using Leonard Cohen music in your s**t. Bad enough you nearly ruined Watchmen for all time, but you gotta keep doing it to “Hallelujah”? 

Watchmen is one of my top five favorite reads in comics (maybe top three) and I thought the movie was amazing. I agreed (at the time) that the squid being left out was probably for the best and wouldn’t translate well on screen. That is until I saw how awesome it was in HBO’s Watchmen. 

27 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I guess you have read all those posts too on social media they make without knowing the background here?

jayoliva.jpg.4cf5e92f2a99b951d20580031aac69ce.jpg

Jay Oliva, his friend, came to the rescue to make people aware - again.

The reason behind the songs inclusion doesn't necessarily make it a good song for the the trailer nor does it make it any less overused. It is a valid critique. I found its inclusion in Watchmen decent though (but I chalk that up to it matching the overall tone of the other music choices in the film, so it fit very perfectly)

I fully support and am perfectly happy to see him using a song that meant so much to his daughter, while also holding to the opinion that song is 100% played out and verging on becoming a cinematic cliche at this point (Alex Winter also posted on twitter that he thought that song was overused within the industry and got dog piled by Snyder fans until he removed the tweet - even though he wasn't directly criticizing the new trailer specifically.)

7 minutes ago, Sauce Dog said:

The reason behind the songs inclusion doesn't necessarily make it a good song for the the trailer nor does it make it any less overused. It is a valid critique. I found its inclusion in Watchmen decent though (but I chalk that up to it matching the overall tone of the other music choices in the film, so it fit very perfectly)

I fully support and am perfectly happy to see him using a song that meant so much to his daughter, while also holding to the opinion that song is 100% played out and verging on becoming a cinematic cliche at this point (Alex Winter also posted on twitter that he thought that song was overused within the industry and got dog piled by Snyder fans until he removed the tweet - even though he wasn't directly criticizing the new trailer specifically.)

I agree the song is overused but it really works for me here. But he’s definitely not allowed to use it ever again. Ever.

27 minutes ago, Sauce Dog said:

Hey, I would have liked a different soundtrack myself for this trailer. But I have to respect the fact Snyder went with a celebration of overcoming all the hurdles thrown in his way and the memory of his daughter over 'WHAT'S THE QUICK WIN' song to make this work.

As far as 'dog piling' taking place I think at this point they are so sensitive to anything negative because of all the negative thrown at Snyder and folks that appreciated his initial releases, they are giving back what they got early on. Even this educated reporter thought she was being funny during DC FanDome and had the masses come down on her. But then attempted to play it off as her toxic post was being attacked by toxic people - so they are in the wrong.

rachelmillman01.PNG.d2f106453bf3d637089bf36a6c03f3c5.PNG

People are tired of BS like this.

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

I guess you have read all those posts too on social media they make without knowing the background here?

jayoliva.jpg.4cf5e92f2a99b951d20580031aac69ce.jpg

Jay Oliva, his friend, came to the rescue to make people aware - again.

Okay, death in the family is a serious matter and something I respect. I didn't know anything about Snyder using the music to honor his daughter. At the same time, it's not my job to know the ins and outs of Snyder's life and reasoning behind the scenes. I'm speaking from the POV of a fan of DC's genius masterwork comics (Watchmen, Dark Knight Returns, All-Star Superman etc) and a fan of Leonard Cohen.

I'm still cranky from Snyder dumbing down Watchmen, arguably the greatest comic book/socio-cultural commentary/graphic novel ever, into a basic sexy glossy action movie (the opposite of Alan Moore's intentions) and dumbing down Side A of the masterworks of 60's/70's American rock music in the same movie. So to see him kind of do it again in that trailer, with no context of his daughter's death and again not my job to know that, is like reopening old fan geek wounds.

Mr. Snyder could maybe use a private session with the Ancient One. It's not about you, Zack.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

3 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Okay, death in the family is a serious matter and something I respect. I didn't know anything about Snyder using the music to honor his daughter. At the same time, it's not my job to know the ins and outs of Snyder's life and reasoning behind the scenes. I'm speaking from the POV of a fan of DC's genius masterwork comics (Watchmen, Dark Knight Returns, All-Star Superman etc) and a fan of Leonard Cohen.

I'm still cranky from Snyder dumbing down Watchmen, arguably the greatest comic book/socio-cultural commentary/graphic novel ever, into a basic sexy glossy action movie (the opposite of Alan Moore's intentions) and dumbing down Side A of the masterworks of 70's American rock music in the same movie. So to see him kind of do it again in that trailer, with no context of his daughter's death and again not my job to know that, is like reopening old fan geek wounds.

Mr. Snyder could maybe use a private session with the Ancient One. It's not about you, Zack.

You really rush in to make these statements, don't you?

BECAUSE OF THE LONG ROAD IT TOOK TO GET HERE -and- TO HIS DAUGHTER'S MEMORY

You are being blind to all the personal character attacks Snyder has experienced, in addition to the career hurdles due to WB overreacting to blogger and critic demands.

23 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

...Snyder dumbing down Watchmen, arguably the greatest comic book/socio-cultural commentary/graphic novel ever, into a basic sexy glossy action movie (the opposite of Alan Moore's intentions) and dumbing down Side A of the masterworks of 60's/70's American rock music in the same movie...

This is so wrong that I can't even fathom how someone could come to such a conclusion.

(shrug)

Zack Snyder has revealed that Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" was chosen for the Justice League Snyder Cut's trailer two years ago.

Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" had been selected for the trailer for the Justice League Snyder Cut two years ago. After the failure of its theatrical version of Justice League, a long, determined fan campaign would swiftly rise for Snyder's original cut of the film to see the light of day. This past May, that campaign finally crossed the finish line when it was officially announced that the Snyder Cut will finally be released on HBO Max in 2021.

In the aftermath of Snyder's departure from Justice League, the movie's massive retooling would result in the version released into theaters being essentially a different film altogether from the one directed by Snyder. Though there was consistent doubt that the Snyder Cut would ever actually be released, the fact that it is indeed coming to pass is a truly historic development. With the Snyder Cut's trailer including "Hallelujah", the song is a decidedly fitting soundtrack to celebrate the film's coming debut with.

During an appearance on The Reel in Motion podcast, for which Screen Rant's Stephen Colbert was also present, Zack Snyder revealed "Hallelujah" was the chosen song for the trailer for quite a long time, stating "It was on two years ago." Snyder further elaborated that "It's something that I just felt like, you know, was right for this", while also stating that "It has significance beyond just the movie." Looking deeper than the song being a celebration of the fact of the Snyder Cut's release itself, it is easy to understand the affinity that Snyder holds for it.

"Hallelujah" was also included in Snyder's 2009 superhero movie Watchmen, so his decision to bring it back to the marketing for his cut of Justice League feels emblematic of Snyder's career as a superhero filmmaker coming full circle. Additionally, the lyrics of the song are rife with Biblical references that also curiously parallel Snyder's experiences in the DCEU with Man of Steel and Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. By including "Hallelujah" in the Snyder Cut's first proper trailer, Snyder is also presenting a symbolic picture of the long road his version of Justice League has taken to finally being given the greenlight.

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Hey, I would have liked a different soundtrack myself for this trailer. But I have to respect the fact Snyder went with a celebration of overcoming all the hurdles thrown in his way and the memory of his daughter over 'WHAT'S THE QUICK WIN' song to make this work.

As far as 'dog piling' taking place I think at this point they are so sensitive to anything negative because of all the negative thrown at Snyder and folks that appreciated his initial releases, they are giving back what they got early on. Even this educated reporter thought she was being funny during DC FanDome and had the masses come down on her. But then attempted to play it off as her toxic post was being attacked by toxic people - so they are in the wrong.

rachelmillman01.PNG.d2f106453bf3d637089bf36a6c03f3c5.PNG

People are tired of BS like this.

I totally respect his choice for the reasons he had, so I'm cool with how he made it work for the trailer...regardless if I think it was overall a dumb music choice. His personal reasons and opinions are his own, but nobody has to think it was a good idea. 

That still doesn't excuse the dog piling, its wrong whomever does it, so 'giving back what they got early on' is simply hand waving away their toxicity (and makes it sound like Snyder fanatics haven't been doing this from day 1). Also, stating an opinion isn't the same as dog piling a single account who you don't agree with. That example you posted was perfectly within her rights to say that, regardless of how crass and dumb it was, but the reaction of a fanbase attacking her afterwards is reflects on that fanbase (once again, regardless who does it...its wrong)

8 minutes ago, Sauce Dog said:

I totally respect his choice for the reasons he had, so I'm cool with how he made it work for the trailer...regardless if I think it was overall a dumb music choice. His personal reasons and opinions are his own, but nobody has to think it was a good idea. 

That still doesn't excuse the dog piling, its wrong whomever does it, so 'giving back what they got early on' is simply hand waving away their toxicity (and makes it sound like Snyder fanatics haven't been doing this from day 1). Also, stating an opinion isn't the same as dog piling a single account who you don't agree with. That example you posted was perfectly within her rights to say that, regardless of how crass and dumb it was, but the reaction of a fanbase attacking her afterwards is reflects on that fanbase (once again, regardless who does it...its wrong)

Since Day 1? Think about how much drama you just baked into that statement. You have a quote from DAY ONE demonstrating they went overboard to someone's negative opinion of Snyder's production?

See, as reasonable as you are attempting to treat this situation you fell into the very same trap with that comment. Right? And her post to take a nasty shot at Snyder and then later on stating they were being toxic - not her. Come on. That is BS.

"Every action deserves an equal reaction."

Let's be honest, most Snyder :slapfight: start with some dingus who "hates" him just chiming in their useless 2c. It's tantamount trolling. Let people enjoy stuff.

I don't go to the Vegan Market and complain that they don't sell meat. Did I already use this analogy?

32 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

"Every action deserves an equal reaction."

Let's be honest, most Snyder :slapfight: start with some dingus who "hates" him just chiming in their useless 2c. It's tantamount trolling. Let people enjoy stuff.

I don't go to the Vegan Market and complain that they don't sell meat. Did I already use this analogy?

The hate that has been directed at Snyder is not healthy mental behavior. Especially the cracks about his mother and later about his daughter's death.

snyderhater001.thumb.png.264d08bfcca5b794a4b4a1b70c417b10.png

Snyderhater200520.JPG.e8619e58dfa1e6bba5ccd0cc3e00c5ff.JPG

3 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Or...

zacksnyderhate01.png.a5867bbfde4cee20b3b9dec9406acd7a.pngzacksnyderhate02.png.2794c2f39eacdd0b3a8267c6a9d67170.png

Hey, but Snyder fans brought the toxic since Day 1, right? (:

For someone so awful, all of the actors and actresses he works with absolutely love him. He seems like a demanding director, so I consider that a fairly great feat. No one had to say a single nice thing about him after he left JL, but he's received nothing but praise for his work.

People are so damn distorted. "I don't like his movies, so he's garbage!" Mental derangement.

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

Since Day 1? Think about how much drama you just baked into that statement. You have a quote from DAY ONE demonstrating they went overboard to someone's negative opinion of Snyder's production?

See, as reasonable as you are attempting to treat this situation you fell into the very same trap with that comment. Right? And her post to take a nasty shot at Snyder and then later on stating they were being toxic - not her. Come on. That is BS.

First, hyperbole, but I also don't expect people to care so much they keep troves of screenshots for such things (I've had personal experience with in discussions over MoS and Suckerpunch which I tend to think of as pre-dating the current Snyder fandom which feels unique surrounding JLSC, which every fandom has, be it Star Wars or whatever). Of the top of my head I would say the negativity sent over to Diane Nelson when he was trying to support Joker wasn't a good look for Snyder-fans (I actually don't like this 'blanket' fan label, it seems to now only mean to refer to those fans being highly vocal about the Snyder-Cut and not his full body of work) 

My personal opinion with all this dog piling (regardless of side) is that if you don’t like the person or their opinion, don’t follow and don’t interact - easy. If fans feel they need to defend a work against every random critique, valid or dumb, then that is their choice on how they respond (Someone takes a 'nasty shot' at Snyder then the reaction to that is not in their court - Snyder fans could literally just ignore it or laugh it off. The response is toxic, even if the OP was also being toxic - that doesn't excuse anything)

I don’t like his body of work (except Watchmen) and some choices he makes in that content, and at the same time still also be super excited for more JL/DC content, but also not go out of my way to drive toxicity towards people with differing opinions. It's really easy to do that. Don't like what those people on Twitter are saying - add them to your block list and don't interact with their feeds. It's easy.

Edited by Sauce Dog