• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is an art print considered original art?
1 1

8 posts in this topic

I know nothing about original art collecting, so forgive my ignorance...

I recently discovered art prints, and was wondering, are they considered original art? 

Thanks in advance, guys!

Ehh, generally I’d say no. A print is exactly that - a print / copy of an original art piece. Sometimes they’re limited, sometimes remarked, but they’re still copies. 

But as always, buy what you like. Or can afford. A $150 print of Bernie Wrightson’s Frankenstein would probably make a lot of people happier than dropping a mil on the original. 

No. Original art refers to the one of a kind art originally drawn by the artist for production of a comic. There are a lot of mediums and forms it can come in (e.g.; pencil only, ink on blue line, pencil + ink, painting, etc), so it can get a little confusing. Anything mass produced isn’t original art, but is still cool!

7 hours ago, Comixroc said:

I know nothing about original art collecting, so forgive my ignorance...

I recently discovered art prints, and was wondering, are they considered original art? 

Thanks in advance, guys!

Generally, no. A print is a print. There is a growing number of artists who only work digitally, and will offer one-off prints saying they are original art. Collectors still generally treat them as prints, but that may one day change.

In the digital age, if you hire a digital artist to create a work of art for you and you both agree that it will only be printed the one time, then that is the original.

I'm a traditional art honky, but this is a new era and we need to adapt to the changing tide.

5 minutes ago, Masochism said:

In the digital age, if you hire a digital artist to create a work of art for you and you both agree that it will only be printed the one time, then that is the original.

What if he lies and prints another one?

6 hours ago, Masochism said:

I'm a traditional art honky, but this is a new era and we need to adapt to the changing tide.

I disagree. I want to see original lines, knowing it was a real pen, pencil or marker. So no, I will continue to pass. And so will quite a few others on this board. 

Let me add that the artist owns the copyright, and he can legally print as many as he wants no matter what he agrees by contract (without an actual assignment of all ownership rights, which is different). The artist could get sued by the original purchaser for breach of contract, but who the heck is going to do that over the purchase of a print for a few hundred dollars? The damages calculations between copyright infringement and contract breach are different.

Edited by Rick2you2