• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Netflix's OLD GUARD starring Charlize Theron (2020)
1 1

35 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Perry Mason

Warrior Nun

Snowpiercer

The Great

Cursed

Penny Dreadful: City of Angeles

Brave New World

I Know This Much Is True

Stargirl

Hightown

Mythic Quest

Da 5 Bloods

You could be right. Nothing new. What a drought. You forgot 'Even the Transformers get a lot of theater visits: that don't make them good' argument.

(:

Mythic Quest was pretty good but that came out months ago. The Young Adult media stuff I’m really not that into (anything CW for example) but to each their own. 

Perry Mason was OK too (just watched the first episode) but I’m going to wait until it’s all done to Binge watch.

I’ll probably get heat for this but I really thought Snowpiecer was dumb.:roflmao:. A freakin train :facepalm:

28 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:

Mythic Quest was pretty good but that came out months ago. The Young Adult media stuff I’m really not that into (anything CW for example) but to each their own. 

Perry Mason was OK too (just watched the first episode) but I’m going to wait until it’s all done to Binge watch.

I’ll probably get heat for this but I really thought Snowpiecer was dumb.:roflmao:. A freakin train :facepalm:

Hey, I get it. Not every show works for every viewer. And it shouldn't have to.

The same goes for The Old Guard. For some it was a lot of mindless fun and action. For others they needed more depth. And that's okay. But to say nothing else has come out, and therefore that is why 70 (+) million households tuned into it - that's quite the leap to speak for all those households.

10 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Perry Mason

Warrior Nun

Snowpiercer

The Great

Cursed

Penny Dreadful: City of Angeles

Brave New World

I Know This Much Is True

Stargirl

Hightown

Mythic Quest

Da 5 Bloods

You could be right. Nothing new. What a drought. You forgot 'Even the Transformers get a lot of theater visits: that don't make them good' argument.

(:

I loved Mythic Quest.  Did you see the special that came after the initial series run a couple of months ago?

22 minutes ago, piper said:

I loved Mythic Quest.  Did you see the special that came after the initial series run a couple of months ago?

No - I'm sorry. Nothing new has come out in recent months other than The Old Guard.

(:

Now, the real answer. There is so much content still coming out VOD movies or streaming shows, I am still behind on shows like I Know This Much Is True and Perry Mason. Mythic Quest hasn't made my list yet. Which means if I even started now, I am at the beginning.

14 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

No - I'm sorry. Nothing new has come out in recent months other than The Old Guard.

(:

Now, the real answer. There is so much content still coming out VOD movies or streaming shows, I am still behind on shows like I Know This Much Is True and Perry Mason. Mythic Quest hasn't made my list yet. Which means if I even started now, I am at the beginning.

You will laugh hysterically.  It's very good.

4 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

I thought Old Guard was just terrible. Poor dialogue, weak acting, uninspired.

While not quite terrible, I did think it was rather mediocre.  Agree with the poor dialogue and weak acting even from Charlize who I generally really like.  I was expected a performance from her like Furiosa in Mad Max but didn't see anything like that. 

3 hours ago, Keys_Collector said:

While not quite terrible, I did think it was rather mediocre.  Agree with the poor dialogue and weak acting even from Charlize who I generally really like.  I was expected a performance from her like Furiosa in Mad Max but didn't see anything like that. 

Have you seen her in Atomic Blonde? That's worth your time.

Netflix, in its third quarter earnings report Tuesday, touted “The Old Guard” as its most popular title of the summer quarter.

According to the streamer, 78 million subscriber households tuned in to watch the action thriller, directed by Gina Prince-Bythewood and starring Charlize Theron, in its first four weeks on the platform.

Other Netflix original features that proved popular included Jamie Foxx starrer “Project Power,” which drew 75 million households in the same time frame, and “The Kissing Booth 2” drawing 66 million households in its first 28 days.

The service predicts that “Enola Holmes,” starring Millie Bobby Brown and Henry Cavill, will attract 76 million households in its first four weeks.

These metrics, of course, are self-reported, and based on the number of member accounts that have watched a given show or movie for a minimum of just two minutes, an  in-house calculation Netflix asserts is a better reflection of popularity than average time spent viewing, which is how the television business traditionally measures viewership.

On the TV side, 50 million households viewed the first season of “Cobra Kai” when it debuted on the streamer — after first being released on YouTube’s premium service in mid-2018 — on Aug. 28, said Netflix, using the figure to bolster the assertion that the streamer can amplify second-run programming. “Schitt’s Creek,” which swept the comedy category at the Emmys this year, and “Lucifer” are both also popular shows on the service, said the company in its earnings report.