• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just read Spawn #1 for the second time in 28 years...
1 1

32 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Mercury Man said:

I haven't bought a new Image comic in decades.

The 2012 revival of Prophet is amazing, both the writing and the art.

Fear Agent has surprised me big time. I heard it was good... It is... I love it when I find a comic that surprises me by how good it is. Right now I'm reading the whole thing.

Manhattan Projects... One of my all time favorites.  A rare combination of art and writing.  The colors are unforgettable.

God Hates Astronauts.  OMG. I follow Ryan Browne now so I can get a piece of all of his Kick Starter projects.  He is hilarious.  It's the only comic that makes me laugh out loud.  Ryan is crazy.

TWD held my interest for quite a while.

Peter Panzerfaust was cool.

I like Saga.  I'm slowly making my way through it.

I think that Image is one of the best publishers out there.

Oh yeah, Descender. That is some TOP quality sci fi.

Injection... on my shelf ready to read.  If you are into comics for the art and writing then you can't go wrong with Image, they are loaded with great titles.

19 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

The artist on the recent issues, Jason Shawn Alexander, is really good.

305 was his last issue. Among the Spawn fans on a FB group that I follow, he is only partially loved by fans of the title. After some Tan interim action, Ken Lashley takes over with 308

Edited by oldmilwaukee6er

I really enjoyed the bit where Ice cream man and local p-e-d-o Billy Kincaid is in hell. He's running around with other lost souls and he keeps waiting to prey on this smartass know it all young girl in the group. All the others get taken or killed by other worldly beings.  Finally when it is down to just those two, he makes his move. But to his surprise it's the violator's brother Vindicator! 

249694-83724-vindicator.jpg

On 5/21/2020 at 9:02 PM, bobotski said:

Read again through the first 25 issues and like on every book there's lamentation of the devil's trickery, and Wanda, and how he was a hotshot covert agent. Over and over and over again.

I get that it tries to paint his origin story, but each issue there's at least a full page paragraph dedicated to a summary of what was already said on prior issues. Art was gratuitous at best but pacing was really bad. It was ok back I guess then, but you're right, now I cringe.

Keep in mind that when Spawn first came out, everything wasn't reprinted in trades. And McFarlane at the time said there would be no second printings. So if you missed an issue, or were new to the series, unless you tracked down all of the back issues, you may not have had an idea of what was going on. I remember catching up on Claremont's run on X-Men back then, and in EVERY SINGLE ISSUE there's some character lamenting that they're just trying to get by in a world that fears and hates them. The point was to treat every issue like it's someone's first (because it likely was, in the era when every comic printed tens or hundreds of thousands of issues), but when read as a run, they come off as a team of whiners.

On 5/23/2020 at 1:19 PM, Artboy99 said:

I never really liked Spawn, I thought the story lacked substance: it was very one dimensional. As to Todd's art I appreciate it but I always felt it was "over-drawn". There has to be little scratchy lines in every surface.

Overall: meh

And he wasn't the only one guilty of that. Several well regarded 90s comic artists did the same thing unfortunately

1 hour ago, Jeffro. said:

And he wasn't the only one guilty of that. Several well regarded 90s comic artists did the same thing unfortunately

yeah I agree. Wasnt always the 90's though check this out, way over the top in my opinion.

detail.jpg

23 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

yeah I agree. Wasnt always the 90's though check this out, way over the top in my opinion.

detail.jpg

I loved McFarlane's Spider-man especially with all of the crazy webbing.

1 hour ago, Jeffro. said:

I also noticed that Neal Adams started putting more scratchy linework in his art as well back then.

Edited by Ken Aldred