• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moving A Collection Coast To Coast (U.S.)
1 1

20 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, Will_K said:

I guess this is new ??  Didn't you just finish a man cave / comics reading room ?

Why shiver in my cave when I can bathe in the sun? But I'll be sad to leave it. I was VERY thankful to finish it off before all this started though, and I've been making good use of it. I hope it finds a good home. 

I brought a small collection cross-country with me about ten years ago and like you I carried most of the OA on the plane with me. Some pieces that weren't very valuable I shipped. For the bronze, I might suggest (knowing full well that the coronavirus could make this tricky) finding a shipper who specializes in art. It won't be cheap to pack and ship it but if it's valuable and/or delicate, they know what they're doing and won't balk at you insuring it for full value. (Needless to say, check them out thoroughly first.)

I believe US Postal Registered mail shipped by truck is a viable option.  I think you can get insurance if each item is less than $25K.

It takes longer to arrive but with registered mail, they take tracking more seriously than just certified delivery with insurance.  Cheaper than professional art movers but you do have to package everything yourself.

Ask your local postmaster for info on rates, package dimension limitations, etc.

Good luck.

Cheers!

N.

We’ve settled on the San Diego area - I figured there’s a good chance there are a few boardies from that area (😉) - if there is anyone with young kids that can talk about the SD neighborhoods, please shoot me a message - we’d love some info. Thanks! 

M

Try the real estate website Trulia, (which got bought out by Zillow but still operating independently).

When you look up a house, it gives you a map of the neighborhood.  You can then select schools and crime to evaluate the area.

Schools are ranked 1 - 10.  Crime is color coded based on police reports.  When I say color coded, I mean green, red, etc. so you can get a visual of the neighborhood.  Lol.

All the best.

Cheers!

N.

2 hours ago, dichotomy said:

We’ve settled on the San Diego area - I figured there’s a good chance there are a few boardies from that area (😉) - if there is anyone with young kids that can talk about the SD neighborhoods, please shoot me a message - we’d love some info. Thanks! 

Sorry. No kids. I can only recommend breweries. :hi:

On 5/22/2020 at 8:23 AM, dichotomy said:

Why shiver in my cave when I can bathe in the sun? But I'll be sad to leave it. I was VERY thankful to finish it off before all this started though, and I've been making good use of it. I hope it finds a good home. 

What coast are you moving to?

Oops, miised the earlier post. never mind.

Edited by Brian Peck