• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Submitting Mags to CGC
3 3

221 posts in this topic

So the only time I ever submitted to CGC was during a show where I dropped them off. Just looking for some pointers to you folks that do this regularly. First, I assume it makes sense to pay for the premium membership as I will have at least $150 in grading fees and you get that as a credit plus I will get 10% off grading fees. Or am I missing anything?

Second, any tips on shipping? The only time I have ever shipped comics is when I was doing a raffle prize or gift exchange so I was never crazy paranoid about packing. 

Anything else?

Turn around times are so good right now I think I have to bite the bullet and do this. If I wait for shows to open back up there is going to be a tidal wave of submissions. 

Thanks

Yeah, don't tape the cover side, lame.

Also, put 2 comics face to face, nothing to indent that way.

A board between them to be extra safe, or if you have an odd number of books. Never face the books out, that's just asking for a lower grade.

Good luck with your submission. My personal experience is a little hit and miss. I’d check with CGC on how many slabs can be shipped back per box (I know it’s 25 with comics) and try to submit the maximum to save some shipping costs. Also, it’s relatively costly to press and slab mags so I’d be really picky. A 9.0 is a beautiful mag but for most Gpa is below slabbing costs. Ship usps registered and make a nice bundle Or numerous smaller bundles using lots of extra backeR boards. I love using frog brand painting tape as it secures nicely and comes off backer boards and bags easily. 

8 hours ago, wombat said:

Thanks. I don't like the idea of putting any kind of tape on the front of a comic. Maybe do that but on the back. 

When I ship comics I always put all the comics - even if it’s just one comic - in a second bag so the tape is making contact with the second bag, not the bags the comics are in. Plus, it’s the second bag that’s keeping all the comics together, not tension from the tape. The tape just keeps the bundle secured to the protective cardboard. 

2 hours ago, Makmorn said:

Yeah, don't tape the cover side, lame.

Also, put 2 comics face to face, nothing to indent that way.

A board between them to be extra safe, or if you have an odd number of books. Never face the books out, that's just asking for a lower grade.

Yeah, I've received packages where the books were taped together but they weren't in bags...  doh!

2 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

Good luck with your submission. My personal experience is a little hit and miss. I’d check with CGC on how many slabs can be shipped back per box (I know it’s 25 with comics) and try to submit the maximum to save some shipping costs. Also, it’s relatively costly to press and slab mags so I’d be really picky. A 9.0 is a beautiful mag but for most Gpa is below slabbing costs. Ship usps registered and make a nice bundle Or numerous smaller bundles using lots of extra backeR boards. I love using frog brand painting tape as it secures nicely and comes off backer boards and bags easily. 

I'm probably going to have about 5 magazines max. And for the most part they are for me so I'm not really concerned about if the money is worth it. They aren't stinkers, but there is nothing crazy. I few higher grade blazing combats, a Savage Tales and maybe one or two more. I hadn't considered pressing. To be honest I have no idea how to figure out if that would be helpful or not. 

5 hours ago, wombat said:

I'm probably going to have about 5 magazines max. And for the most part they are for me so I'm not really concerned about if the money is worth it. They aren't stinkers, but there is nothing crazy. I few higher grade blazing combats, a Savage Tales and maybe one or two more. I hadn't considered pressing. To be honest I have no idea how to figure out if that would be helpful or not. 

To evaluate for a pressing, consider books that look really sharp (great color, gloss and printing register) except they have defects that don't break color (such as bends, dents and other non-color breaking defects). Make sure the spines and the staples are strong enough to withstand the rigors of pressing. In addition, I've heard that squarebound mags aren't the best candidates because it's often difficult to remove flaws near the spine, and early Famous Monsters mags aren't good candidates due to the fragile nature of the spine (the spine could split under pressure). I hope this helps, and good luck...

21 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

To evaluate for a pressing, consider books that look really sharp (great color, gloss and printing register) except they have defects that don't break color (such as bends, dents and other non-color breaking defects). Make sure the spines and the staples are strong enough to withstand the rigors of pressing. In addition, I've heard that squarebound mags aren't the best candidates because it's often difficult to remove flaws near the spine, and early Famous Monsters mags aren't good candidates due to the fragile nature of the spine (the spine could split under pressure). I hope this helps, and good luck...

Thanks. Appreciate it. 

21 hours ago, Number 6 said:

When I ship comics I always put all the comics - even if it’s just one comic - in a second bag so the tape is making contact with the second bag, not the bags the comics are in. Plus, it’s the second bag that’s keeping all the comics together, not tension from the tape. The tape just keeps the bundle secured to the protective cardboard. 

Glad to hear sonmeone else does this!