• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Services & Fees - basic question.
2 2

4 posts in this topic

Hello,

New-ish member here with probably a easy question to answer.

I have sent seven books off for grading in the last six months,

3 x ASM 300

1 x ASM 361

1 x Bat Adven 12

1 x New Mut 98

1 x Nove 1

Generally happy with grades, they were around what I expected .

All these comics were sent to CGC by a comic shop. In the future I wish to send books off myself.

My question is how to assess what service I need to apply for and in turn the right fee.

(eg) is ASM 300 sent to Modern / Value / Economy / Standard.   

If its a poor copy would it go to modern as that's cheaper.

If it looks like it will be a good copy and worth more, then it goes to standard.??

Thanks for any help.

I send comics in myself, but not usually anything over a $200 raw value, and usually post 1975.  My understanding of the tier system is that you can send it in for the lowest it qualifies for, such as you mention on your ASM 300.  If you think it is a low grade, and under $200 value, it can go as a Modern. 

I mean, how do you know?  The prices go by grade, and THAT'S why you are sending it in - to get a grade!  But, if it was a Silver Age book, you have to start with the Value tier, just due to time period.

CGC will tell you, in general, it goes by your Declared Value on the form.  That's there so they know what to insure it for while in their possession.  If you have a comic that is worth $800, and submit it as Modern with a Declared Value of only $180, if something happens to it, you are only going to get $180 for it.  A bit of a risk.

Also, I believe they have the right to move a book to a higher tier if it is of obviously higher value.  Don't worry, they won't forget to bill you.

On 5/22/2020 at 2:15 AM, Gavin Rowlands said:

Hello,

New-ish member here with probably a easy question to answer.

I have sent seven books off for grading in the last six months,

3 x ASM 300

1 x ASM 361

1 x Bat Adven 12

1 x New Mut 98

1 x Nove 1

Generally happy with grades, they were around what I expected .

All these comics were sent to CGC by a comic shop. In the future I wish to send books off myself.

My question is how to assess what service I need to apply for and in turn the right fee.

(eg) is ASM 300 sent to Modern / Value / Economy / Standard.   

If its a poor copy would it go to modern as that's cheaper.

If it looks like it will be a good copy and worth more, then it goes to standard.??

Thanks for any help.

To be honest, I have sent all of these in high grades under the modern tier.  Yes, there is a risk that if it gets damaged while in their possession that they will only reimburse you for the max $200 but the thing that is going to kill you is the separate shipping charges if you split these up.  Like I mentioned in a previous thread, there's a low chance that they will bump you to a higher tier due to the higher grade received but they will still ship it to you together.  If you start guessing on the different tiers based on expected grade and it gets a lower grade, you're not getting that money back.

I have gotten 9.8s on all the above books while submitting under the modern tier and have never been bumped once.