• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The most controversial covers of the Bronze Age?
1 1

30 posts in this topic

What are the most controversial comic book & comic magazine covers of the Bronze Age? 

Mad Magazine 166 is my candidate for the comic book magazine and it’s an excellent example of why the lack of CCA censorship over comic magazines gave publishers a greater degree of freedom to publish stuff they couldn’t put in the comic book. This book has the history and to no one’s surprise, is an EC publication. Gaines took heat for publishing it and later sent an apology letter to subscribers. I would even say that Mad Magazine 166 could be the closest thing to a “Crime Suspenstories 22 of the Bronze Age.“ Mad Magazine 166 would have had the most controversial cover back in the precode era and there’s no doubt Senator Kefauver would have asked  Gaines about it when the EC Comics publisher testified before the Senator’s committee back in the mid-1950s. The Bronze Age had its original “Precode” books. Another reason why it’s one of the greatest eras for comic books and comic magazines!

58DDE42E-D65B-4502-9DB2-46793A85F89D.jpeg.2d92f9d9541bd428dd66270e01c9b7e6.jpeg

Thanks,

john

That's the one I posted in a "covers with hands" thread.

For that genre, it's a classic.  

Edited by Ken Aldred

My vote would go to Lois Lane 106 where she goes into a machine and comes out black (African-American). Ive had several copies because it is early Rose & Thorn, but every time I see it I’m like, jeez . . .

6 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

My vote would go to Lois Lane 106 where she goes into a machine and comes out black (African-American). Ive had several copies because it is early Rose & Thorn, but every time I see it I’m like, jeez . . .

IMG_9003.thumb.jpg.3ac4b19416d08c57f179b96771e3b457.jpg

IMG_9004.thumb.jpg.14d4b7701914b2170fb8e148c1af25cc.jpgIMG_9005.thumb.jpg.29dc9853fa67c5bc918222844debbe20.jpgIMG_9006.thumb.jpg.5bcc1c40414c8fcdde511d72bc26783f.jpgIMG_9007.thumb.jpg.538c85a7ee563bd12f6de57031e88844.jpg

Side note: this may very well be the final appearance of the Transformoflux. It's locked away for good in the Fortress of Solitude.

Don't want to be messing with that gizmo again. :eek:

4 hours ago, seanfingh said:

One of my favorite issues for both of those stories.

12 hours ago, steveinthecity said:

Are we excluding UG’s, National Lampoon, etc?

image-20150609-8674-iekxim.jpg?ixlib=rb-

I actually think that one generated LESS controversy than National Lampoon frequently did, actually.  As near as I can tell it's been considered a classic roughly since day one, and one of the all time great magazine covers.

The issue has a new Neal Adams Deadman story, so I could definitely go either way with including it among comics.

Edited by OtherEric

I know not what was really asked and this is not overtly controversial.  Is the legend true?  Sometimes I see it, sometimes, not.  I know it has been discussed but I have been in GA books for so long now.  And for some reason, I thought OSPG noted it?

Ka-Zar_Vol_1_1.jpg

8 minutes ago, namisgr said:

Although it seems tame by later standards, it was a big deal at the time when Marvel decided to publish their flagship title without Comics Code Authority approval.

ASM98.thumb.jpg.4e8d7ee9e701950cc5c0ea521a6ce55b.jpg

Yes - this was super controversial!