• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tape on spine; not restorative, rather preservative
1 1

3 posts in this topic

I know that tape on comic books is usually a death sentence, but I am very curious about something like this. The original owner decided to (very neatly and well done) put tape along all the spines of his comic books. He did this not to fix a flaw or a bad spine, but rather to preserve an already nice spine. As you you can see, the spine is very nice indeed.

So my question is, this is an otherwise very nice comic book; great color and gloss, pages are off white, etc. How does this tape affect the grade?

20200522_122743.jpg

20200522_122831.jpg

I'm sorry to report that CGC seems to be pretty tough on tape, especially when it's applied to the full length of the spine. I did a little research, and the highest grade I could find for a comic with that much tape on the cover was 3.5. 

Given that this book looks pretty nice, you may do a little better, but most collectors won't be interested in books with this much tape...sorry. 

Edited by The Lions Den

55 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

I'm sorry to report that CGC seems to be pretty tough on tape, especially when it's applied to the full length of the spine. I did a little research, and the highest grade I could find for a comic with that much tape on the cover was 3.5. 

Given that this book looks pretty nice, you may do a little better, but most collectors won't be interested in books with this much tape...sorry. 

Awesome, thank you. I guess they will make great readers! And Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen #134 and New Gods #1 was part of that collection lol.