• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you think will be the next HULK 181?
1 1

39 posts in this topic

As bronze age comics become more expensive and sought after it is evident that HULK 181 is now the gold standard. What comic do you think might reach that? MARVEL SPOTLIGHT #5? WEREWOLF BY NIGHT #32? BATMAN #232? SPIDERMAN #129?

I kinda' like Werewolf by Night 32...but it really depends on how Moon Night is developed on screen. Popularity and demand chases what's on the screen. It can't be a one or two flash in the pan movies, or a season on NetFilx...he's going to have to be around for awhile. Another candidate would have to be Green Lantern 76. What that comic has going for it is not many copies available comparatively to 181. Not the first appearance of any character, but amazing art on a comic which at the time was not selling all that well.

On 5/22/2020 at 10:16 AM, seanfingh said:

None. They all had the same chance over the last 45 years to be the big book, and they are not, nor will they be.  End of thread.

This ^^^

It's like asking "what SA book will be the next AF15?" or "what CA book will be the next ASM300?" 

Some things just are, and always will be. 

6 hours ago, NP_Gresham said:

The Star Wars #1 35 Cent variant already IS hulk #181 in value.

The limited supply and ongoing demand should push it even higher.

Once again, I have a question about collecting. Please note that I am not denigrating how people or any one person collects comics.

Why would Star Wars #1 35 Cent variant be important to a collector? Is it just because it's rare and worth a lot of money? Is it a sense of completeness, wanting to have both versions (30 and 35 cents) so you feel your collection is more complete?

I'm not criticizing, I'm just curious.

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2020 at 12:07 AM, littledoom said:

Who really cares about Cerebus in relation to Wolverine? Ask anyone on the street who Wolverine is and they know.. ask anyone who Cerebus is....

Yes, you're correct about that, but let me flip your question around with this: who cares about asking anyone on the street?  Are they the ones willing to pay stoopid money for comics?  I don't think so. 

Its the comic collectors/speculators who push forth the price increases, and currently, the majority of the movers and shakers are in their 40s- late 50's.  They remember the 1980's B&W Boom (and bust), and Cerebus was a huge part of that, second only to TMNT #1.  The only reason I didn't list TMNT #1 as the book to be the next Hulk 181 is because its already surpassed it.  Hence, my selection of Cerebus #1

19 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Yes, you're correct about that, but let me flip your question around with this: who cares about asking anyone on the street?  Are they the ones willing to pay stoopid money for comics?  I don't think so. 

Its the comic collectors/speculators who push forth the price increases, and currently, the majority of the movers and shakers are in their 40s- late 50's.  They remember the 1980's B&W Boom (and bust), and Cerebus was a huge part of that, second only to TMNT #1.  The only reason I didn't list TMNT #1 as the book to be the next Hulk 181 is because its already surpassed it.  Hence, my selection of Cerebus #1

true.. but no movie producers are making an aardvark movie ... Logan really pushed 181 prices through the roof.

1 minute ago, littledoom said:

true.. but no movie producers are making an aardvark movie ... Logan really pushed 181 prices through the roof.

Totally hear you, but the last few TMNT movies didn't set the franchise on fire, resulting in TMNT #1 surpassing Hulk #181.  There are several other forces at play here that factor into the realized sales