• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you think will be the next HULK 181?
1 1

39 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Totally hear you, but the last few TMNT movies didn't set the franchise on fire, resulting in TMNT #1 surpassing Hulk #181.  There are several other forces at play here that factor into the realized sales

TMNT 1 surpassed IH181 how? Are you talking about that one crazy outlier $90K TMNT1 that was sold a few months back as the reasoning? If so don't forget that IH181 also has an outrageous outlier...that 9.9 that was sold for $150k. 

7 minutes ago, carefulsum said:

TMNT 1 surpassed IH181 how? Are you talking about that one crazy outlier $90K TMNT1 that was sold a few months back as the reasoning? If so don't forget that IH181 also has an outrageous outlier...that 9.9 that was sold for $150k. 

Firstly, let's have a fair comparison here.  There are no TMNT #1's in 9.9 so we cannot compare it to the Hulk 181 in 9.9.

That said, taking a look at the 9.8's the most recent sales data I have of TMNT #1 in 9.8 = $90K, and $52.8K.  Both sales in 2019. 

The most recent sales data I have on Hulk 181 in 9.8 = $31.2K and $37.2K.  Both sales in 2020.  90 day average = $31.2K

3 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Firstly, let's have a fair comparison here.  There are no TMNT #1's in 9.9 so we cannot compare it to the Hulk 181 in 9.9.

That said, taking a look at the 9.8's the most recent sales data I have of TMNT #1 in 9.8 = $90K, and $52.8K.  Both sales in 2019. 

The most recent sales data I have on Hulk 181 in 9.8 = $31.2K and $37.2K.  Both sales in 2020.  90 day average = $31.2K

So Highest paid for TMNT1= $90K... Second highest=$52.8k

Highest paid for IH181= $150k...Second highest= $59k (Comiclink auction 2019)

Based on these numbers I think IH181 is still BA top key.

2 minutes ago, carefulsum said:

So Highest paid for TMNT1= $90K... Second highest=$52.8k

Highest paid for IH181= $150k...Second highest= $59k (Comiclink auction 2019)

Based on these numbers I think IH181 is still BA top key.

If you wish to ignore same grade comparison, then yes, you are , in your own way, correct...at being incorrect 

1 minute ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

If you wish to ignore same grade comparison, then yes, you are , in your own way, correct...at being incorrect 

How is using highest price sold wrong in this comparison?

AF15 is SA top key not only because it has the first appearance of one of the most popular comic book character but ALSO it has sold for the highest amount vs any other SA book. 

IH181 is BA ".............verbatim...................................................................................................................................".but ALSO it has sold for the highest amount (regardless of grade) vs any other BA book. 

To me Werewolf By Night 32 is a time bomb waiting to explode....  That book was always pricey, even in the early 80's.   No movie anouncements at the time, just a pure cult following.  Great cover, cool looking character, and extremely hard to find in great condition.  Ask yourself, how many collectors were seeking high grade werewolf by nights back in the day?  Marvel horror titles were read an toss comics in the 70's...   Just imagine if Moon Knight becomes a household name... Huge demand and little supply equals Kaboom!   Before the doubters comment.. I remember people saying the GOTG movie was going to be a disaster... Then a talking tree, which only appeared in 2 comic books in 50 years, became a household name!   Just my thoughts....

Nick

4 hours ago, Valueguy Comics said:

To me Werewolf By Night 32 is a time bomb waiting to explode....  

Good one. What you said is dead on. It has jumped up some but all it takes is a movie. I can never hold onto this book though. Always able to sell it for well over value. Sucks because I love that book. I can't turn down a good profit though. 

On 5/27/2020 at 12:07 AM, littledoom said:

Who really cares about Cerebus in relation to Wolverine? Ask anyone on the street who Wolverine is and they know.. ask anyone who Cerebus is....

That's true but you never know.   Cerebus 1 is a historically important comic that led to the rise of independent artists ... its not popular now... but who can predict the future.  There is a lot going for it and there are not many copies.... if the ip ever gets animated... it could skyrocket its value. 

20 hours ago, carefulsum said:

Dude,  9.9 grades re exceedingly rare.  If a tmnt 9.9 showed up,  there's no question it would be higher then hulk 181 9.9.  

On 5/26/2020 at 11:50 AM, carefulsum said:
On 5/26/2020 at 6:54 AM, c_mkv said:

Already at $14.5k before taxes damn that's way too much for that book....just sayin

Why? After all, it is the first appearance of Wolverine. 

as others have already said, there won't be another. wolverine was THE character for my generation of reader (i'm 51) and the next younger one too. we still read comics voraciously in the 80s.

even if some newer character came along that was super popular in film, there is no longer a generation of kids that grew up reading his or her comics. harley quinn, for example, very popular in cartoons and film now. but her 1st appearance comic will never ever compete with hulk 181. nor will anyone else's.