• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie Sketch Cover Collector

4 posts in this topic

Been collecting original published comic art and looking to add sketch covers to my collection. Outside of published DC/Marvel...etc artist, who should I be looking into? Who specializes in this category of art?

1 hour ago, Blastaar said:

Been collecting original published comic art and looking to add sketch covers to my collection. Outside of published DC/Marvel...etc artist, who should I be looking into? Who specializes in this category of art?

Sketch cover artists can be found on most of these sites. You can start by scrolling through the 2020 and 2019 Sketch Cover Mega Threads in this forum and see who and what you like. Many of the artists can be contacted directly via Facebook or IG. The Signature threat also has various Sketch Ops in progress every so often. Facebook has MANY sites including Sketch Cover Fanatics, Comic Book Sketch Covers,  CGC Comics Fans and Sketch Prices boards.... you just have to start browsing. Be careful though....it is a deep rabbit hole once you start. :bigsmile:

34 minutes ago, Ron C. said:

Sketch cover artists can be found on most of these sites. You can start by scrolling through the 2020 and 2019 Sketch Cover Mega Threads in this forum and see who and what you like. Many of the artists can be contacted directly via Facebook or IG. The Signature threat also has various Sketch Ops in progress every so often. Facebook has MANY sites including Sketch Cover Fanatics, Comic Book Sketch Covers,  CGC Comics Fans and Sketch Prices boards.... you just have to start browsing. Be careful though....it is a deep rabbit hole once you start. :bigsmile:

Thanks. I already reached out to our friendly neighborhood FAKadar who I have long been admiring in these forums. I have collected some of the comic "legends" on sketch covers and to tell you the truth they are just kind of...blah, no personality. I really like the high quality wow factor ones seen all over this site but should I be watching out for anything? I've seen some photo realistic ones that seem impossible go for pretty cheap...are the artist really that good or is there a process they use to achieve the look?

Another option is to check out conventions that are near you or you are interesting in attending. Look at their artist alley and use the sites that @Ron C. recommended to see their other work and costs. Contact them to see if they're doing a list beforehand or what their process is for sketches.