• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

COMIC ART LIVE con - COMING NEXT WEEK!
2 2

148 posts in this topic

28 minutes ago, ZimmermanTelegram said:

Will tomorrow feature new dealers and OA as well or is it a continuation of what’s there now?

I don't know. As far as I know if you didn't set up a booth already it may be too late. It's still a little ambiguous if we are allowed to switch out art after its sold. I may drop my prices tomorrow.

27 minutes ago, John E. said:

I don't know. As far as I know if you didn't set up a booth already it may be too late. It's still a little ambiguous if we are allowed to switch out art after its sold. I may drop my prices tomorrow.

I tried to remove a sold piece from my virtual booth, but the pieces seem to be locked down.

So don't expect anything new to walk into the room tomorrow.

I remember being blown away by the pricing the first tim3 I went to SAN Diego comic con.  2010 I think.  It was even worse the second and las5 time I went (2012).  I remember commenting to a good friend that I wasn’t a percentage out in my thinking but rather a factor.  I feel that some of the most sane pricing for this con comes from the dealers.  The private sellers want the cream, the cherry and the sprinkles for the next ten years in their pricing!  Can anyone explain $100k for a Quesada modern cover?

its all just nuts....

5 hours ago, Noob19 said:

Has anyone had trouble with communication? I've reached out on a couple pieces but not heard back. Not sure if my messages are not going through or the sellers are just preoccupied...

I tried to respond to everyone. a few of my pieces got a number of inquires, I take the first one but wait until payment goes thru before responding to others that the piece has sold. I looked thru all the art when it started at 7AM and responded to inquires after that. I ended up getting busy watching the SpaceX launch so that slowed down reponses.

Overall I liked how everything was setup. Alot of art I hadn''t seen but also stuff that has been posted before or in recent auctions. ALbert brought out the BIG guns. Too rich for me but still cool to see. I did see a few with "0" as the price. Not sure what happened. I sold a few pieces so al good.

Good job guys!

This was cool. I didn't buy anything, but fun to window shop.

There were 2 things that stood out to me. Slightly high price but pretty fair.

Shoutout to Ed McGuinness who actually decreased prices!

I think the 18 pieces of artwork limit was a great idea.

3 hours ago, John E. said:

That was an awesome panel you moderated with Mike Allred, @GotSuperPowers?

I thought I was going to have it playing in the background but I was hooked to my screen.

Thank you @John E., very cool of you to say.  Standing (sitting?) in front of a large group of people is not my thing, but Mike is so upbeat and enthusiastic about comics, art, anything pop culture, it's easy to let him talk!  And show off an amazing commission collection that we mere mortals can only dream of.  Miller, Mignola, Toth (he has two!), Frazetta, and the list goes on...

2 hours ago, John Bamber 1973 said:

Can anyone explain $100k for a Quesada modern cover?

its all just nuts....

Mr Bamber, I think it's fair to say that isn't a market price, more a "make it so I can't say no/make me rich" price.  I'd guess at ~$40k for the cover in the real world, but that's with an off-the-top-of-my-head number, no research.

A lot of really nice art and it's a great setup, so thanks to Bill Cox, but the prices are outrageous in a lot of cases. And, a lot of the art is art from dealer's sites that has sat for years. I was afraid that I was going to miss out on something by spending all my cash a week ago, but I made the right decision.

Veronica and I set up a booth — we sold some small pieces but took in so many commissions we had to close them for today.   We’ll do a few for tomorrow.   We have some low priced cover art up and I ended up buying two pieces of art and am seriously considering a couple more.  The panels were great— really felt like being at a show again.  Mega Kudos to Bill Cox for putting this together— it was really something.

6 hours ago, DJRome said:

I tried to remove a sold piece from my virtual booth, but the pieces seem to be locked down.

So don't expect anything new to walk into the room tomorrow.

I too have joined the crowd and dropped price on my remaining items, by around 10% or more

https://www.comicartfans.com/comicartlive/Booth.asp?bid=42

I'll probably upload something on my regular CAF Classified later too.

Edited by malvin

39 minutes ago, AndyFish said:

And he’s got some great stuff in his booth— I was close to pulling the trigger on the Don Newton pages you had up.

Thanks for noticing and the endorsement, Andy. Those pages were nostalgic ones, from my first Batman comic. Even without Bats on them, they were pretty cool. But alas, if I want to diversify my collection, I can't keep everything, says the non-lawyer and non-doctor. After an aggressive bid over a year ago, I was able to land the title splash to the book (click bait alert), so I think it was okay to let these go.

22 minutes ago, malvin said:

I too have joined the crowd and dropped price on my remaining items, by around 10% or more

https://www.comicartfans.com/comicartlive/Booth.asp?bid=42

I'll probably upload something on my regular CAF Classified later too.

Did you just sell that McFarlane poster piece? I thought I checked your booth about an hour ago and it was unsold? Anyhow, I can't memorize everything I see.

You got a great price on that and the buyer got a great piece. There is a lot of production process on it that it doesn't feel like a "photocopy" at all. And that is such an iconic cover. I just bought the $1 reprint last December because I had to have a reading copy of it. Good work.

I thought the con is very well done - in the early going, the site went down for a few minutes for me - but overall very smooth and I even felt a bit of that con pressure not to miss that perfect page - probably because I went through the booths once before I found the search function - that makes it less con like actually but easier.  I didn't realize that 3 pieces would be selected to be displayed but makes sense after seeing the user experience.

The time difference with Europe makes negotiation slow and awkward when multiple folk are after a deal on the same piece - but I'll see how that plays out to see what I end up selling.  On payment, I marked sold with email commit - not waiting for payment.  Perhaps, there should be an "On Hold" selection in addition to Sold?

On buying side, I got 2 pages that fit in my galleries nicely so that was cool

With Sales tax, the transaction costs are getting quite high so we should be able to do deals privately on most art...

Edited by mtlevy1

I was impressed with the platform speed and resiliency this morning. I'm sure there was a big spike in traffic. It performed pretty flawlessly on this end.

I think the addition of the live panels, commissions opportunities, and the start time (with Premium early entry) all gave the event a "real con" atmosphere. I think these could all be built on for future events. They were great ideas. Thanks to Bill and company!

Our best piece was scooped up before the show started so we didn't even get a chance to list it, another piece sold on regular CAF, and then a couple more today! (Thanks to everyone who bought from us!) We still have some DC and indie goodies up at all price levels--

https://www.comicartfans.com/comicartlive/Booth.asp?bid=176

Edited by BCarter27