• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

COMIC ART LIVE con - COMING NEXT WEEK!
2 2

148 posts in this topic

36 minutes ago, John E. said:

Did you just sell that McFarlane poster piece? I thought I checked your booth about an hour ago and it was unsold? Anyhow, I can't memorize everything I see.

You got a great price on that and the buyer got a great piece. There is a lot of production process on it that it doesn't feel like a "photocopy" at all. And that is such an iconic cover. I just bought the $1 reprint last December because I had to have a reading copy of it. Good work.

It actually sold earlier in the day, I just forgot to mark it as sold until later.

Malvin

Went through and dropped prices on some of the art that’s left— we have a couple of commission spots left too including TEAM FISH— both of us working on the same piece like we do with our comic work.  Come on by and say ‘Ello!

The online con has been great, especially for someone like me who’s in the UK.

We don’t seem to get many comic art dealers at our cons. So it’s been good to see some of the inventory that’s not on the websites or art that not accessible unless you’re physically at these US based cons. 

Based on the stats I was seeing, it looked like 217 pieces sold on the first day out of 2729 - so a little less than 10% of the art listed.  I sold four pieces on the first day which I guess is better than average.  

For the 2nd day, I'm dropping the prices on some of the pieces in my gallery "Chuck Costas' Cherry Blossom Explosion" to encourage some more sales.  Here's what's reduced:

• Joe Jusko Large Hulk Painting - Was $6,000, now $5,000
  • Mike Zeck/Phil Zimelman Large Iron Man Steel Terror Painting - Was $5,000, now $4,000
  • Cerebus #167 Cover – Was $6,000, now $4,000
  • Cerebus #108 Page 20 – Was $1,400, now $1,200

• Cerebus #166 Pages 18-19 – Was $3,000, now $2500

• Cerebus #233 Page 1 -  Was $1,100, now $1,000
  • Herb Trimpe Chicken Scratch Newspaper Strip Prelim - Was $75, now $45
  • John Buscema Two Double-Sided Prelim Pages (Conan & Shreiking Man/Cowboy) - Was $250, now $200
  • Batman/Scarecrow 3D #1 p. 35 by Carl Critchlow & Sal Buscema - Was $200, now $150
  • Man of Steel #94 p. 3 by Ron Frenz & Sal Buscema (Strange Visitor) - Was $150, now $100

You can find all my pieces here:  https://www.comicartfans.com/comicartlive/Booth.asp?bid=57

I was looking for some bigger pieces and just didn't see anything that caught my eye that was priced at a number I felt was reasonable.  I tried to negotiate on a couple of pieces but while getting close, just couldn't narrow the gap.  That said, I didn't find it all that frustrating because the best pieces seem to be moved privately or at auction, so it's ok to just wait.  I saw a couple of neat things that were 10k or better, but nothing that really grabbed me.  I guess when you don't spend 50 or 100k, there's always another opportunity waiting for you somewhere.  I heard from a few other collectors and it did seem that the bigger pieces were a lot of things that have been around the block or available.  I think the market takes care of the pricing, so if it's 'too high' you just move on, but I would have been happy to pay for pieces I really wanted, even if they were 'above market'.  

I got one nice "fresh to market" piece right in my nostalgia area.  Seller was reasonable in discussing price, even though I ended up paying a bit more than market value.  But that is to be expected when you thread nostalgia area, unfortunately.  So net net I am happy, thank you to the organizers, I hope it becomes a regular event, even after the COVID Emergency.

Carlo

5 minutes ago, Carlo M said:

I got one nice "fresh to market" piece right in my nostalgia area.  Seller was reasonable in discussing price, even though I ended up paying a bit more than market value.  But that is to be expected when you thread nostalgia area, unfortunately.  So net net I am happy, thank you to the organizers, I hope it becomes a regular event, even after the COVID Emergency.

Carlo

I wish it could be a regular event too, especially since I can't go to too many big cons.  However, I think even if we wanted to, future one's won't be as well attended as this one.  When things to back to normal (whenever that is..) there will be a major con every weekend (or other events) and there won't be as many sellers setting up, or buyers visiting. CAF, which is too bad.

Malvin

I was quite pleased with Comic Art Live. Actually I enjoyed it more than most art cons. Usually when I buy art I am not looking for any particular artist but just searching for something that grabs me at a price I am happy with. After a while such a physical search can get tiresome. Here I could search for the art types I am interested in (covers and splashes). The price ranges for the search really did not work for me but I actually enjoyed going through the high end items which were out of my range. I picked up a few things on the first day but unfortunately one of them was bought just ahead of me. Because of that I came back today and picked up a few more pieces. In the end I picked up more, both in terms of number of pieces and money spent, than at regular cons (where it is not unusual for me to come back empty handed). Some of my new acquisitions were by artists I was not previously familiar with, which is always a plus for me.

I enjoyed the Con and picked up a piece from my want list -- while missing out on a few other things.  It was also cool seeing some of the higher end art (such as that amazing Wrightson House of Mystery cover Albert was selling) even if most of it was out of my price range.   I held off on selling anything (still reluctant to visit the Post Office), but would definitely participate in the future.  A few thoughts for future cons:

1) It would be nice for dealers to be able to cycle artwork between days -- so that there would be a new supply of pieces on Sunday morning.  

2) On a similar note, it might also be good for commission lists to start a few hours before or after the art for sale postings to give people time to focus on one or the other. 

3) It might also be nice for people to see how many art requests are already pending for a piece (basically a counter that would increment when someone submitted the request form).  This would help to avoid wasting time requesting pieces with multiple requests already pending.  (Maybe there could be an option for a dealer to reset this counter on a piece if a deal doesn't go through.) 

Edited by tlatner

5 hours ago, malvin said:

I wish it could be a regular event too, especially since I can't go to too many big cons.  However, I think even if we wanted to, future one's won't be as well attended as this one.  When things to back to normal (whenever that is..) there will be a major con every weekend (or other events) and there won't be as many sellers setting up, or buyers visiting. CAF, which is too bad.

Malvin

I think you're wrong there, Malvin. When Cons come back I don't see them being the same at all. For the next year or two (or forever) most will be limited by 50% occupancy or worse, which means many Sellers aren't going to take the time and spend the money to go to all shows if the buyers are not there, and the buyers wont attend because the sellers wont be there. Artists are finding it easier to sell online in many different ways and don't want to expose themselves to health risks when they can make just as much money from home. I love in-person Cons, but I simply don't see things getting back to normal anytime soon, and whatever normal will be in a year or two wont be anything like we were accustomed to.

2 hours ago, tlatner said:

2) On a similar note, it might also be good for commission lists to start a few hours before or after the art for sale postings to give people time to focus on one or the other. 

I liked everything together because it was like a normal con. Gotta prioritize, which generally leaves something else open so others can try to get stuff. 

2 hours ago, tlatner said:

I enjoyed the Con and picked up a piece from my want list -- while missing out on a few other things.  It was also cool seeing some of the higher end art (such as that amazing Wrightson House of Mystery cover Albert was selling) even if most of it was out of my price range.   I held off on selling anything (still reluctant to visit the Post Office), but would definitely participate in the future.  A few thoughts for future cons:

1) It would be nice for dealers to be able to cycle artwork between days -- so that there would be a new supply of pieces on Sunday morning.  

3) It might also be nice for people to see how many art requests are already pending for a piece (basically a counter that would increment when someone submitted the request form).  This would help to avoid wasting time requesting pieces with multiple requests already pending.  (Maybe there could be an option for a dealer to reset this counter on a piece if a deal doesn't go through.) 

2) I have gotten similar feedback. My issue is trying to keep the times fair for everyone globally. We could do that on a Friday night, but everyone in Europe would be at a disadvantage.Try 6pm EST so it's around midnight in Europe, then everyone on the West Coast is still at work. My goal is to ensure everyone coming has a chance to get exactly what they want without being shut out, so timing is really important.

3) I do like this idea. Shows interest. Might be fun to be able to order the search by "Most Emailed".