• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

COMIC ART LIVE con - COMING NEXT WEEK!
2 2

148 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Bill Cox said:

Emphasis on "they sold". :)

for sure, I'm pleased with my sales.  Only one piece had multiple inquiries right away.. which is a sign that my price was too low, the rest pretty much only had 1 bite.

Overall 13 of my pieces sold (assuming everyone pays) and I am pleased.  I did not mind digging them out from where I had stored them. :P

Malvin

5 minutes ago, malvin said:

for sure, I'm pleased with my sales.  Only one piece had multiple inquiries right away.. which is a sign that my price was too low, the rest pretty much only had 1 bite.

Overall 13 of my pieces sold (assuming everyone pays) and I am pleased.  I did not mind digging them out from where I had stored them. :P

Malvin

This is a learning process for us all. I hope to do a full review of sales so I'll be able to give exhibitors for the next show a better understanding of what to bring, at least as it relates to sales during this show. It's all guesswork at the end of the day.

2 hours ago, malvin said:

I did not mind digging them out from where I had stored them. :P

Malvin

In various undisclosed and underground locations around Canada I’m sure (:

Overall I thought it was great as both a buyer and seller-

I would have liked the ability to tag or que a piece I looked at and wanted to go back to - or a dealer I liked (during the premium time I had like 10 tabs of caf opened lol)

Also would have loved what someone said earlier about a notifications on pending emails on a piece. Being on a budget I had to wait for responses on pieces before moving onto other pieces and that wait definitely caused me to miss out on the next piece up when the domino's started falling.  

But Thank you @Bill Cox for putting this together! 

This was a great inaugural event.

It as nice to have the ability to sort by price and vendor type.  It was helpful to search by keywords typing in artist names, titles or characters.

I do like the 18 piece limit, forcing sellers to showcase their "best of the best" - and I feel, if a seller has more than 18 pieces, that's what their CAF Gallery is for and where additional merchandise can easily reside and be accessed.

I do like the fact that every seller I encountered was friendly and prompt with responses.  They were very professional as well.  In relation to that, if this does grow, I'd love to see Premium CAF members start to get "feedback ratings" where a buyer can leave a simple verified positive experience vote, so that there's a certain level of assurance to buyers that the seller is on the up n' up.  It's hard for some to just trust paying cash in advance $3,000 or more, and would be nice if CAF developed a system outside of CAF Live to evaluate sellers to instill that confidence it's a trusted seller.  Not as complex as reviews or anything other than some sort of voting system that isn't easy to fraudulently manipulate.

I do hope that CAF Live doesn't occur with frequency, not for any other reason that if it becomes a routine ritual, it will diminish the value of making this something special to look forward to.  I think quarterly is the most frequently this should happen.  Monthly would be an overkill and Weekly would simply be fruitless.   

I enjoyed the event a lot- my first con, albeit digital and a year into the hobby. I was a little slow on the Paolo Rivera Silver Age inside cover piece and missed out, so no new art for me this round. Maybe next year/in August, if there's a round two.

I totally agree with those that mentioned wanting an auction that either capped off the event or ran throughout the duration of it.

I'm new to negotiating with dealers, never having been to an in-person con before, and spent a lot of the time I would have spent making offers on items trying to read up on what's appropriate, what's the bar for a fair offer less a dealer's markup, etc... and by the time I felt like I had the ropes, several of the pieces I'd hoped to inquire about were gone. Good learning experience for me! Always hate missing out on stuff and the dreaded regrets, but thanks so much to Bill for organizing it and letting us hear from some great creators. Hope to one day meet all of you that attended at a con in person!

14 hours ago, malvin said:

Easier said than done.  Many of my pieces I did not take out from storage and only did so after they sold.

Malvin

I'm suggesting optional here.

If you can't take the time to pull 18 pieces from storage to effectively promote as much as possible, then that's your risk of losing the sale to someone else that is 1% more motivated lol

All good in my book, both the doing and not doing. Not all art needs any promotion, some sells easily as exactly what it is to those that know what they're looking at with a straight flatbed scan.

11 hours ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

Also would have loved what someone said earlier about a notifications on pending emails on a piece. Being on a budget I had to wait for responses on pieces before moving onto other pieces and that wait definitely caused me to miss out on the next piece up when the domino's started falling.  

This is exactly the same problem I have with Felix "drops".

It's also exactly why I no longer participate in those "drops" anymore, just a PITA to me. Exception: Tradd Talent sale a week ago...that was a book I needed a piece from and I got it (x3!)

It is what it is until someone slightly smarter than the rest of us (me included!) figures out something better :)

The feedback system is a neat idea. I would give one seller a 10/10 and another zero/10.

Overall, a stellar job by Bill and team on execution and stability of the platform!

Fun event! Sold 5 smaller pieces. It’s funny that people dislike sellers wanting PayPal friends/family and that PayPal fees should be added to the price. Most buyers offer less than the asking price and want shipping included. So the request is for a discount, free shipping and cover the PayPal fee. Basically that’s being poked in three directions lol 

58 minutes ago, AnkurJ said:

Fun event! Sold 5 smaller pieces. It’s funny that people dislike sellers wanting PayPal friends/family and that PayPal fees should be added to the price. Most buyers offer less than the asking price and want shipping included. So the request is for a discount, free shipping and cover the PayPal fee. Basically that’s being poked in three directions lol 

PayPal Goods & Services is a fairly critical and priceless measure of protection for buyers making significant purchases. Otherwise, yes, the rest is price soup.

I didn't participate directly even though I am a premium member, but I did use the extra traffic to throw a few pieces up for sale. Many of them sold so i was happy. My general rule is try to only sell fresh (or at least not shopped to death) material for just a bit under established market value. It tends to straighten things out and keeps games to a minimum and it proved effective again this weekend.

There are 3 shows just off the pacific ocean near LA. There are 3 shows off the Atlantic ocean near NYC...and that's it. I travel multiple times a year to these types of specialized shows, from the Midwest, which most regional collectors like me talk about but just never do. Having an online the show like this fills the gap for those collectors considering its unlikely those thousands of well off engaged collectors will ever get an art show within traveling distance of them.

Even after the coronavirus situation settles, I think online shows like this should be continued to engage with them.

On 5/31/2020 at 5:50 PM, Bill Cox said:

If a piece is moved from for sale to sold, there is a vacant spot. It would be cool if a new piece could be added so the seller is back up to 18 pieces. Kind of like  when a dealer sells a wall piece at a con, he replaces it with another. This will have the added benefit of buyers coming back again and again to see what's new.

For that matter, perhaps have a "newly added" search function once the show starts that will list any pieces added after the event begins!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The issue there is that Exhibitors will move things to SOLD just to cycle their artwork even when it didn't sell, just to keep things fresh. You know as well as I do they'd mark something sold just to put the same piece back up there. I've heard from many many sellers that items sold in their Classifieds as a result of having a booth, or sales that happened with Dealers on their sites because they had a booth. I think having a limit was the right approach. While we'll consider plenty of things for the next one that's my least favorite idea. I'd much prefer to create a way to have a list of price reduced items on day two (scheduled), and create other sales opportunities. Who knows? But I thank everyone for checking it out and giving me tons of feedback to digest via email, here and socially. I've got days of research ahead of me!

It sounds like in the podcast this week you are coming around to my idea (with help from Glen)! (thumbsu

Edited by Timely

I did not set up as a collector or as a rep. I also did not do any shopping. Not because I didn't want to ... I was getting married this weekend. Bill, I will email you about not consulting with me for the timing of this event ;) 

After reading this thread, it sounds like this was a well-formed and thought out live con event. I will try to watch any videos to do additional catch up and will plan to attend in the future. 

I did get some updates and a few pieces that would likely have been of interest, but they were priced a bit aggressively so I don't feel like I missed anything. 

Question: are we able to set up as a collector and a rep/dealer? I'd like to potentially do both if possible. 

Collector Note: anyone looking to sell nice Hulk art gems that didn't move during the show, please feel free to reach out to me. Sounds like Hulk 227 pages did not show up at the con so if you have more(more), let me know!

Rep Note: I would have done some JadeGiant Comic Art sales, commissions, etc. and I will be opening a Joe Bennett commission list soon so feel free to reach out if something from him interests you. 

1 hour ago, JadeGiant said:

Question: are we able to set up as a collector and a rep/dealer? I'd like to potentially do both if possible. 

One of our mutual friends did this, Dave.

Oh, and congratulations!

Edited by Doc McCoy

38 minutes ago, Doc McCoy said:

One of our mutual friends did this, Dave.

Oh, and congratulations!

I asked Bill about this and he told me that you had to choose between setting up as a dealer or a collector.  You were not allowed to do both.  If your friend did this, then he got away with it but it's not what Bill wanted.

55 minutes ago, glenbru said:

I asked Bill about this and he told me that you had to choose between setting up as a dealer or a collector.  You were not allowed to do both.  If your friend did this, then he got away with it but it's not what Bill wanted.

No idea.  I was told he was setting up to sell his own personal art as a collector and the art of those he represents as a dealer.  If he wasn't supposed to, more than likely, he didn't know.  You know what they say though, better to ask forgiveness than permission. (shrug)

Edited by Doc McCoy

1 hour ago, glenbru said:

If true, I think this needs a look for the next CAF LIVE con IMHO. I use CAF as a collector and for my rep business and would not want to choose which I had to exclude when participating. My .02 ... YMMV