• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Obscure Superman giveaway

8 posts in this topic

Has anyone seen this promo before or have any more info on it? - beyond the one copy auctioned by heritage in 2009 I have never seen it mentioned elsewhere - besides it being a reprint from Superman # 182 with the single line of copyright text added to the bottom of the front page there is no info to be gleaned from the cover alone - with it being a 7 page story maybe the back cover would give away what it was a promo for - was it bought by someone reading this who can enlighten us?

lf?set=path%5B5%2F1%2F8%2F1%2F5181641%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/superman-giveaway-2-dc-1966-cgc-nm-96-off-white-to-white-pages/a/191220-12553.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Found the answer, I didn't see this last time I looked into it - so thought I'd share it - It looks like its an insert from the Book "Murray The K - Tell's it Like It Is, Baby" and someone has removed it and submitted it to CGC  as a separate item, the only thing to check now is if the dimensions of the book mimic that of the copy in the CGC holder

Murray the K.jpg

Murray The K interior.jpg

Edited by David Buck

I still need to check that the dimensions match  but I think it's going to be the source; I've seen it listed on abebooks where the superman  is described as pulp paper, so it looks like DC printed this for the publisher and then it was tipped into the book - If you are aware of a handful coming from one source then maybe the publisher had a few copies left over loose at the end of the print run that they kept around for a while

@David Buck

Hello,

I am sorry to be off topic, but you seem to be the right person to ask:

Do you know the origin of the Action #1 reprint from 1990 ? The one with cover price 50 cent in the black box ?

Was it part of a collector's set or pack or came it with an action figure or something else ?

Best regards,

Archi

8 hours ago, archivist said:

@David Buck

Hello,

I am sorry to be off topic, but you seem to be the right person to ask:

Do you know the origin of the Action #1 reprint from 1990 ? The one with cover price 50 cent in the black box ?

Was it part of a collector's set or pack or came it with an action figure or something else ?

Best regards,

Archi

This thread from 2018 discussed it - the Registry set has notes that it is a 1991 edition. if your copy matches the ones in the images in the thread then it should be this one -  however, the ad for the flash H/C release in Dec. means it should be from 1990, As far as I am aware it was just a normal release for the direct market and not an in-pack item

Edited by David Buck

David,

thank you very much for your answer.

The problem with the ads in this reprint is, that the time range is very big:

11.12.1990 was the shipping date for the Flash Hardcover
21.05.1991 was the shipping date for the Batman Full Circle
20.08.1991 was the shipping date for the Flash TV Special

I don't find a reason why DC would promote books from such a different time area. Furthermore I don't understand why DC didn't fill the blank pages with more ads - I would do that, it's a cheap methode to sell books.

On the internet I found a website which says that the store date for this book is November 30th, 1990. But I don't know where this information comes from. My only hope now is that I find an ad for this Action #1 reprint in the 1990/91 books from DC.

Thank you again for your help, and thank you for the link to the thread from 2018. I missed that one.

Archi

Forgive me, but I will continue to stay off topic with the following post, but I thought it might interest the readers.  The 1991 reprint (as some call it) of Action 1 is hard to find.  I scanned through several hundred Action 1 reprints and did not see a single copy of the 1991 version.  I'm lucky to have a copy, but I have no idea where it originated, just in case you haven't seen one before.

The following link provides some additional info:

https://comics.www.collectors-society.com/wcm/ComicCustomSetGallery.aspx?s=19251

Shown below are photos of front cover, inside front cover, last two pages, inside back cover, and back cover.

882875239_action11991frontcover.jpg.7aaf571e69a620eaf0bc94681c39f14a.jpg

949041866_action11991insidefrontcover.jpg.38fa2f2f72fffd88a0782c517cccddc6.jpg

1365493674_action11991lasttwopages.jpg.8653af5093e36a91b34ae51572185708.jpg

2061212632_action11991insidebackcover.jpg.4222fa585cfb9199eec8323261d25583.jpg

1598615091_action11991backcover.jpg.9b758000a1cb65cc5567c3ea965e0bd6.jpg

Edited by Cpt Kirk