• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shipping damage?

14 posts in this topic

Good morning!    Please tell me what you think.  I sold this comic, shipped it, and got this message. "Hi! Product arrived damaged." with pics.  First two pics are the broken slab.

I asked if he(she) had pics of the box. Second pics are of box, and 1/2 in. bubble wrap. "Box looked good, and it was all wrapped up." 

My opinion; Box arrived undamaged, as shown, and the comic was somehow damaged after delivery. What do I do now? Is it possible that that crease in the middle of the box is the result of damage that hurt the book?

I want to do right by the buyer, but not if it happened after delivery.   C'mon people, I trust you!  It is insured, but still...

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

Edited by Spawnfreak
Adding text.

4 hours ago, Spawnfreak said:

Good morning!    Please tell me what you think.  I sold this comic, shipped it, and got this message. "Hi! Product arrived damaged." with pics.  First two pics are the broken slab.

I asked if he(she) had pics of the box. Second pics are of box, and 1/2 in. bubble wrap. "Box looked good, and it was all wrapped up." 

My opinion; Box arrived undamaged, as shown, and the comic was somehow damaged after delivery. What do I do now? Is it possible that that crease in the middle of the box is the result of damage that hurt the book?

I want to do right by the buyer, but not if it happened after delivery.   C'mon people, I trust you!  It is insured, but still...

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

Unfortunately you're taking a hit here.. just use the insurance money to refund them.. these situations never really work out in the sellers favor even if it wasn't your fault

7 minutes ago, littledoom said:

Unfortunately you're taking a hit here.. just use the insurance money to refund them.. these situations never really work out in the sellers favor even if it wasn't your fault

Has anyone had success with filing an insurance claim with USPS for a cracked case? If so, did you recover the $5 handling fee, $15 reholdering fee and the $15 each way to ship a book to CGC for reholdering for a total of $50?

From the posts I have read it seemed like the claim required an overwhelming amount of pictures and documentation and took many weeks for a USPS claims adjuster to decide on a partial refund of $15. That wont cover the actual cost of $50 to reholder the book.

Does anyone have tips or a success story they can share?

priority mail boxes are about as strong as toilet paper. if you ship with them you must absolutely put better cardboard inside. BUBBLE WRAP WILL NOT BE ENOUGH TO PREVENT THIS TYPE OF DAMAGE!

incredible how many people cannot figure this out. sorry for your headaches with this. 

12 minutes ago, PickleRick1216 said:

Has anyone had success with filing an insurance claim with USPS for a cracked case? If so, did you recover the $5 handling fee, $15 reholdering fee and the $15 each way to ship a book to CGC for reholdering for a total of $50?

From the posts I have read it seemed like the claim required an overwhelming amount of pictures and documentation and took many weeks for a USPS claims adjuster to decide on a partial refund of $15. That wont cover the actual cost of $50 to reholder the book.

Does anyone have tips or a success story they can share?

I haven't had a problem like this in yearrssss but I was successful in recovering all the money my package was insured for .. enough to pay the buyer and me

53 minutes ago, littledoom said:

Oh, I know I'm taking a hit. I have a friend at the post office, though, so that should help.

The box is creased.  I think it is clear enough.  Even if the box were not visibly damaged this could be possible.  I'm sure my mailman could figure out how to step on it without damaging the box.

8 minutes ago, Turnando said:

The box is creased.  I think it is clear enough.  Even if the box were not visibly damaged this could be possible.  I'm sure my mailman could figure out how to step on it without damaging the box.

I think that crease tells you all you need to know. The impact that caused that crease could easily be what caused the crack in the slab.

1 hour ago, www.alexgross.com said:

priority mail boxes are about as strong as toilet paper. if you ship with them you must absolutely put better cardboard inside. BUBBLE WRAP WILL NOT BE ENOUGH TO PREVENT THIS TYPE OF DAMAGE!

Double boxing (type 1092 + type 1095) helps a great deal but yes use extra cardboard as well. 

1 minute ago, PickleRick1216 said:

That seems reasonable. Did you only get $15 or did they sufficiently cover $50 for the whole reholdering process.

USPS will reimburse based on what you insured the package for, not on the replacement cost. So if you insured it enough, and supply the sale price and photos photos of the damage, you should be covered.