• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is PCH down?
4 4

149 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, october said:

This sums it up pretty perfectly. 

The cream of the crop still command ever higher prices (see the last BC 50 and Blue Bolt 115 results from CLink), but the middling stuff has cooled off. VG-F copies of random Superior tiles, for example, are not $300-600 any more...and they were for awhile.  

Wow the price on the BB 115 is much higher than I would have guessed. 

5 minutes ago, Junkdrawer said:

Not sure about the price I paid but I didn’t care. I never thought I could own a book that someone wrote their name either but there were other variables that I liked. 3/42 is my moms birthday, so that was a sign go take this. I also loved the abyss of not really knowing what it’s worth, not like calculating what’s too much to bid for a IH181 or something trackable like that. What mostly grabbed me is the yellow cover, like a few of them early standout Marvel Mystery Comics. The art on this cover is jumping off the page to me. I thought at first glance it was another Schomburg, was I wrong. Trying to think what to bid was surely a challenge, but then I got to thinking I don’t not want to win this. This cover is what all comic books should look like and when do you get a chance at one. This was never on my radar.

40E805B4-4E18-4230-ADA6-7F0FE1B1959D.jpeg

Cool Book! Congrats! Glad there are multiple reasons that this book can bring you joy!

1 hour ago, Junkdrawer said:

Not sure about the price I paid but I didn’t care. I never thought I could own a book that someone wrote their name either but there were other variables that I liked. 3/42 is my moms birthday, so that was a sign go take this. I also loved the abyss of not really knowing what it’s worth, not like calculating what’s too much to bid for a IH181 or something trackable like that. What mostly grabbed me is the yellow cover, like a few of them early standout Marvel Mystery Comics. The art on this cover is jumping off the page to me. I thought at first glance it was another Schomburg, was I wrong. Trying to think what to bid was surely a challenge, but then I got to thinking I don’t not want to win this. This cover is what all comic books should look like and when do you get a chance at one. This was never on my radar.

Your mom was a war baby (like myself), but I dunno if you should be reading this; bondage, torture, Nazi-ism, violence.  What would Dr. Wertham say?

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

holy moley

I don't get it either. I guess some people consider that a classic cover now? I've never been that Crazy about Lee Elias's artwork; I don't think I've ever had a book with a Lee Elias cover on my want list.

I think I've seen the number of books considered as icons in the PCH genre increase over the years.  Fight Against Crime #20 by Story Comics of course has been there a long time, as well as Strange Tales 28, Crime SuspenStories 22 and Mister Mystery 12, just to name a few.  All show either a person in immediate danger beyond their control, or game over for them.  While CofC 23 doesn't exactly depict imminent death, it is a terrifying image with a supernatural creature.

I can tell you that as a youngster in the early '50's gazing at the comics at the local newsstand, some of these covers would scare the sh.. out of me!

18 hours ago, Junkdrawer said:

Congrats! Great pick up