• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is PCH down?
4 4

149 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, Sarg said:

"Iconic" as a synonym for "great" is a recent fad, instigated by advertisers and PR firms, that's become a gross cliche. Nobody in the 1970s-2000 described the cover of any comic book as "iconic." 

The word "iconic" as applied to comics (and similar items) has the following components:

exemplary, quintessential, representative, classical, supreme, important, historic.

Each of these components requires a perspective and judgment based on the sufficient passage of time.

So, for someone to have used the word "iconic" in the 1970s-2000 time frame would have (for the most part if not entirely) sounded absurd because there had not been sufficient passage of time (subjectively speaking) for the word to be used/applied.  And now, there has, at least in my opinion, been sufficient passage of time (subjectively speaking).

14 hours ago, 956Ref said:

Just to play devils advocate some of the counterarguments of why the books are not down is pointing to a few books that are "icons" or well known and saying "look its not down!" Also what makes a cover "iconic" other than the artist or pre-established community opinion. When a new collector finds their first favorite superhero, books with major events surrounding that hero or their arch-nemesis  are keys and it is evident. They dont need to be told or influenced of that. With PCH I don't this directly translates, collector sees cool torture cover with art and drawings he likes so he purchases...decides he no wants to collect PCH, but asks where do I go after that one book? Collect the run? Collect the cover artist? Collect the Publisher?

Most of the times they have no knowledge unless another PCH collector teachers or guides them. So then all new collectors get guided to the same books making them "hot or desirable". I didn't need anyone to tell me that after I started liking luke cage I needed to move on to Iron Fist...I naturally got there because of team up mags. The interest was organic and collecting driven by interest...There are not tons of collectors pushing those characters even less after the netflix iron fist show :$.

Dude please, no one's pushing marvel characters?  You're not being told or influenced?  Superheroes?  Luke Cage?  Iron Fist?  Team ups?  Huh?  Enough of this wildly_fanciful_statement.  People collect PCH because it's wildly_fanciful_statement awesome.  Period. The books are objects.  Historic.  Not just another wildly_fanciful_statement issue pulled from the zillions of books in the marvel team-up pile.  You gotta want it, save or it and then actually find it.  PCH feeds an entirely different appetite.  If you aint got the hunger, then you aint gonna understand...

Edited by Black Bat

15 hours ago, 956Ref said:

Just to play devils advocate some of the counterarguments of why the books are not down is pointing to a few books that are "icons" or well known and saying "look its not down!" Also what makes a cover "iconic" other than the artist or pre-established community opinion. When a new collector finds their first favorite superhero, books with major events surrounding that hero or their arch-nemesis  are keys and it is evident. They dont need to be told or influenced of that. With PCH I don't this directly translates, collector sees cool torture cover with art and drawings he likes so he purchases...decides he no wants to collect PCH, but asks where do I go after that one book? Collect the run? Collect the cover artist? Collect the Publisher?

Most of the times they have no knowledge unless another PCH collector teachers or guides them. So then all new collectors get guided to the same books making them "hot or desirable". I didn't need anyone to tell me that after I started liking luke cage I needed to move on to Iron Fist...I naturally got there because of team up mags. The interest was organic and collecting driven by interest...There are not tons of collectors pushing those characters even less after the netflix iron fist show :$.

I don't have a CLUE as to what you're talking about.  This sub-forum is GOLDEN AGE, AKA '38 to '55 publication dates.  I dunno who "Luke Cage" is, although there's an actor named Nickolas Cage, and Iron Fist?  Well, there was a rock group called Iron Butterfly.  That's about as close as I can get.  ;)

8 hours ago, Jayman said:

You obviously don’t have to like every book others do but when you say things like this, well, if you can’t see why this would be a desirable book, then I can’t explain it to you.:foryou:

135A49BA-7B85-4556-81EB-D71CFBAEFD98.jpeg

It has some interesting elements on the periphery, but I don't think the central figure is particularly well drawn...not Cole's best effort. (The pecs look especially odd.) I like the cover but not enough to pay what it's going for these days.

Edited by jimbo_7071

Cole was cranking out the covers in the early 1950s, and I find a lot of his Star stuff to look rushed and compositionally messy compared to his late 1940s covers. There are great covers from the Star era as well, but some are lacking for sure. I wouldn't put BB 112 as one of his best, but it's far from the worst either. 

3 hours ago, jimbo_7071 said:

It has some interesting elements on the periphery, but I don't think the central figure is particularly well drawn...not Cole's best effort. (The pecs look especially odd.) I like the cover but not enough to pay what it's going for these days.

That’s fair as I said, no one has to like them all. But give Cole some extra credit for his coloring choice on this one too! Can’t ignore that aspect! This cover would have popped off the newsstand back in the day.

1 hour ago, rjpb said:

Cole was cranking out the covers in the early 1950s, and I find a lot of his Star stuff to look rushed and compositionally messy compared to his late 1940s covers. There are great covers from the Star era as well, but some are lacking for sure. I wouldn't put BB 112 as one of his best, but it's far from the worst either. 

Well put.

6 hours ago, jimbo_7071 said:

I have never thought much of LB Cole as an artist. Years ago I had the opportunity of seeing several on his line drawn OA covers. I wasn’t really impressed. What he did excell at was his use of composition and color. Very unique. Hard not to recognize his printed work and appreciate it. 

13 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I have never thought much of LB Cole as an artist. Years ago I had the opportunity of seeing several on his line drawn OA covers. I wasn’t really impressed. What he did excell at was his use of composition and color. Very unique. Hard not to recognize his printed work and appreciate it. 

I agree entirely.  Just doesn't do it for me. 

1 minute ago, buttock said:

I agree entirely.  Just doesn't do it for me. 

Oh, don’t get me wrong, I love Cole. I own most of his “classic” work and much of his not so classic stuff. His covers are for the most part, WAY better than the art and stories contained inside. Thusly, I have always bough a lot less of these books than I have books with better content. (I actually open and read my books)...

1 hour ago, Hap Hazard said:

Like 114 better

That was the last one I acquired to finish the run.  I agree as far as the straight horror covers in the run.  I think the sci-fi covers as a whole were better works than his horror run on these.

I am big Cole fan (some of which stems from meeting him and how kind he was) but there are some covers like Richard @rjpb mentioned that are lacking and to me messier.  Even though I do not collect them I like Cole's sports covers from the era.  

2 hours ago, Hap Hazard said:

Like 114 better

blue bolt 114 001.jpg

Definitely among his best horror covers. I also like that the text block (pervasive on Star books) isn't boxed and blends in with the background 

15 hours ago, fifties said:

I don't have a CLUE as to what you're talking about.  This sub-forum is GOLDEN AGE, AKA '38 to '55 publication dates.  I dunno who "Luke Cage" is, although there's an actor named Nickolas Cage, and Iron Fist?  Well, there was a rock group called Iron Butterfly.  That's about as close as I can get.  ;)

:roflmao:Fifties, you are soooooo out of it...but i bet you can quote Leave It To Beaver episodes real good...:baiting:

"You're looking radiant today, Mrs. Cleaver"...:roflmao:

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian