• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sorry to be a repeat questioner, but I’m new to the club
1 1

9 posts in this topic

I’m sure this has been asked a million times but when should be the cut off for grades.   I currently own Fantastic Four from 7-400.   I am missing 1-6, and only a couple along the way.   How deep should I go?   Should I grade the first 20,50, all 100?     Thanks in advance, Joe

Welcome To The Boards!!!

I do not have my books graded so I cannot give you any info on price or submitting.

Whether to grade or not is always a personal decision so I would ask, what is your reason for considering having the books graded?

Are you planning to sell, to improve investment value, protection, do you ever plan on reading these books again?

CGC slabs do not offer any added protection vs a Mylite and Acid Free Board other than you can never touch the book again.

Both CGC Graded books and Raw Books in a Mylite W/Board need to be stored in the same/exact proper conditions...

Controlled Environment, Away From All Heat and UV Light Sources, Away From Moisture, Not Stored In an Attic, Unfinished Basement or Garage

Edited by marvelmaniac

14 hours ago, Jbruno6 said:

I’m sure this has been asked a million times but when should be the cut off for grades.   I currently own Fantastic Four from 7-400.   I am missing 1-6, and only a couple along the way.   How deep should I go?   Should I grade the first 20,50, all 100?     Thanks in advance, Joe

You don't HAVE to do anything... they're yours to keep right? Just enjoy them.. the costs will add up greatly the more you submit for grading.. Just slab the big key issues like 48, 49, 52, etc

Depends on grades to an extent too.  And your financial situation and goals.

another thing to consider:  you’re asking for free financial advice.  Do what you can help people help you.  

Thanks for the replies.  I just figured the real value books would let me know what I actually have in value.   Maybe just the teens and 48,52.    I don’t plan on selling but I would like to have an idea of value.  Am I opening a can of worms with costs and shipping?

4 minutes ago, Jbruno6 said:

Thanks for the replies.  I just figured the real value books would let me know what I actually have in value.   Maybe just the teens and 48,52.    I don’t plan on selling but I would like to have an idea of value.  Am I opening a can of worms with costs and shipping?

Costs & shipping depend on how many you submit and what 'tier levels' they get submitted as.  A basic answer when submitting is to try and maximize submissions for the same tier.    CGC considers books at each tier level as a separate order.  So if you ship 4 books and based on year/Fair Market Value, they end up in 4 different tiers, then you get 4 shipments of 1 book each (rather than 1 with all 4)

Take your time and educate yourself on the whole process.  Rushing in can lead to mistakes

On 5/26/2020 at 3:28 PM, Jbruno6 said:

Post pictures of the books in question in the "Hey Buddy, Can You Spare A Grade" section and get an estimate on grade.

Once you have an estimated grade look at eBay sold auctions for books in the same grade (use the pics on eBay to be sure they are the same grade), this will give you FMV of what these books are actually selling for.

Advice...You should learn to grade your books, take a stab at it and come up with a grade and when you post it see if the group agrees. Grading your own books can be difficult at times because you always see your books through "Rose Colored Glasses". You need to look at them without bias to determine a true grade, I always grade conservatively and if there is a question on grade I always assign the lower of the two grades. Do not just grade the covers, check the interiors for torn/missing pages, coupons cut out, writing, etc.

https://comics.ha.com/tutorial/comics-grading.s?show=comicdefinitions

If you have any questions or need any help Please feel free to ask.

Edited by marvelmaniac

On 5/26/2020 at 3:28 PM, Jbruno6 said:

In that case, dont spend the extra money to have them graded, you can get just as good an estimate yourself and it will cost much less.

Buy this book on amazon, its the industry standard for grading: https://www.amazon.com/Overstreet-Guide-Grading-Comics-2016/dp/1603601996/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=overstreet+grading+guide&qid=1591011962&sprefix=overstreet+grad&sr=8-1

There are a bunch if examples and descriptions so that you can have an idea of what the grade of the book is. So just compare with that and jot down the grade of each of your books.

Then go to ebay or other auction sites to search past auctions and see what that issue in that specific grade sold for and you'll have an idea if the value. You'd have to do that part even if you went through cgc since cgc doesn't tell you how much the book is worth, just the grade, and you can do that yourself. Plus, cgc requests that you give an estimated value of what you submit for insurance purposes, so you'd have to know the value using what I wrote regardless making the act of sending them redundant for your purpose.

Edited by William-James88