• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just getting started....

49 posts in this topic

welcome to the boards Will.

I am all for your experiment. I hope it works out to your satisfaction.

I generally feel if I am not going to sell a book I just keep it raw and in a mylar.

If I may sell it in the future having it CGC graded helps facilitate sales especially through online channels.

I also feel getting a book graded helps to determine what you actually have, especially if there is something about the book that makes it difficult to grade.

An example I am not certain on is my Planet Comics 48. It is high grade, but as it is a double cover with off centered color printing on both covers what does it grade?

I have seen many books grade qualified due to the off colors does that mean my book will be qualified.? Grading definitely answers questions.

PlanetComics48doublecoverfrontA2_zps57bb1944.jpg

2 hours ago, Glassman10 said:

Now I've forgotten. There was a #1 of something like "Sheena Swamp girl". There never was a #2. Had to have been around 1973. Stiltman was sort of... silly.  

:D Hey, for a kid.... at least a city nerd like me, Stiltman was awesome.... I mean, he had stilts that extended.... C'mon.... I could've done some damage in the hood with those....

Googled Sheena.... and people are busting my chops over Stiltman?.... :D 

2 hours ago, Karl Liebl said:

I did read the thread.  Press and slab it it if you want.  It will cost about 140 buck for a single silver age book including postage and take up to 6 months.  Go for it...

Fedex ground...45 buck

Pressing at CCS ... 60 buck

Grading at CGC... 40 buck

Postage back????

Do what you want.  Just DO NOT pick pick economy submission!

Economy submission? Do tell....

24 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

welcome to the boards Will.

I am all for your experiment. I hope it works out to your satisfaction.

I generally feel if I am not going to sell a book I just keep it raw and in a mylar.

If I may sell it in the future having it CGC graded helps facilitate sales especially through online channels.

I also feel getting a book graded helps to determine what you actually have, especially if there is something about the book that makes it difficult to grade.

An example I am not certain on is my Planet Comics 48. It is high grade, but as it is a double cover with off centered color printing on both covers what does it grade?

I have seen many books grade qualified due to the off colors does that mean my book will be qualified.? Grading definitely answers questions.

PlanetComics48doublecoverfrontA2_zps57bb1944.jpg

Yes, I actually ordered a bunch of mylar and backing boards to replace the one's I have. Probably should have done it a long time ago....

Planet Comics. That's interesting. Never heard of it.... or maybe I did and forgot.... but the cover situation is a question mark. Do things like that typically positively or negatively affect the grade?

And thanks. Yes, it's just an experiment. We'll see how it works out.

5 minutes ago, Will96 said:

Yes, I actually ordered a bunch of mylar and backing boards to replace the one's I have. Probably should have done it a long time ago....

Planet Comics. That's interesting. Never heard of it.... or maybe I did and forgot.... but the cover situation is a question mark. Do things like that typically positively or negatively affect the grade?

And thanks. Yes, it's just an experiment. We'll see how it works out.

Planet Comics started in 1940, ran 73 issues and is recognized as the first science fiction comic. Your blasphemous "never heard of it" comments shall be forgiven. :)

The double cover is a huge plus for me, others don't care.

Edited by Artboy99

14 minutes ago, Will96 said:

Economy submission? Do tell....

Big High Roller i would usually fast track my stuff through CCS and CGC.  Thats 2 months.  Economy  submission is 6 loooooong months.  Who has time for that?  Not me!

1 hour ago, Will96 said:

:D Hey, for a kid.... at least a city nerd like me, Stiltman was awesome.... I mean, he had stilts that extended.... C'mon.... I could've done some damage in the hood with those....

Googled Sheena.... and people are busting my chops over Stiltman?.... :D 

torn from today's headlines!!!

5 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

Planet Comics started in 1940, ran 73 issues and is recognized as the first science fiction comic. Your blasphemous "never heard of it" comments shall be forgiven. :)

The double cover is a huge plus for me, others don't care.

:D Thanks. I've dodged flintlocks at 20 paces my whole life and with my eyesight, I'm not eager to start....

1940's comic.... I could only dream....

5 hours ago, Karl Liebl said:

Big High Roller i would usually fast track my stuff through CCS and CGC.  Thats 2 months.  Economy  submission is 6 loooooong months.  Who has time for that?  Not me!

Yikes. No, I did not go that route thankfully.