• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Annual #1 9.8 in Comiclink May auction was a 9.6....
3 3

83 posts in this topic

For those seeking proper disclosure, looks like FF Annual #1 9.6 sold on Comiclink is now a pressed 9.8 and is in the current May auction.  Here the before, sold $12,361.00 November, 2018.  Shouldn't there be proper

mention in the listing of this?  Can a call be placed to CGC to verify if a book has gone through the pressing service by providing the serial number ?

RAD8129320181029_95349.jpg

1 hour ago, Zemo said:

For those seeking proper disclosure, looks like FF Annual #1 9.6 sold on Comiclink is now a pressed 9.8 and is in the current May auction.  Here the before, sold $12,361.00 November, 2018.  Shouldn't there be proper mention in the listing of this?  

No.

Can a call be placed to CGC to verify if a book has gone through the pressing service by providing the serial number ?

No.

First thing as everyone has already said - NO …..   second , there are literally hundreds of "pressing services" out there . From the handful of larger well known nationwide services down to hundreds of amateur and semi-pro pressers ….. 

5 hours ago, Jake The Snake said:
6 hours ago, Zemo said:

Can a call be placed to CGC to verify if a book has gone through the pressing service by providing the serial number ?

lol you can't be serious.

You left out the "my good man"

Is it unreasonable to suggest that if a book was pressed by CGC (and there is a record of it through a serial number), that a collector seeking to bid on the book should be able to contact CGC and get a truthful answer?

If it is so non-scandalous, why wouldn't CGC want to freely volunteer the information?

Why shouldn't a consignor (who slabbed the book and paid for it to be pressed) freely offer this info to a consignment house for this info to be placed in the description of the auction listing if it is so non-scandalous?

Seems like there is some scandal to it.

10 hours ago, Zemo said:

For those seeking proper disclosure, looks like FF Annual #1 9.6 sold on Comiclink is now a pressed 9.8 and is in the current May auction.  Here the before, sold $12,361.00 November, 2018.  Shouldn't there be proper

mention in the listing of this?  Can a call be placed to CGC to verify if a book has gone through the pressing service by providing the serial number ?

lol

You're well over a decade late to this party.

Not that I disagree with you, though CGC doesn't press books and being pressed doesn't mean the work was done by CCS.

1 hour ago, Zemo said:

Is it unreasonable to suggest that if a book was pressed by CGC (and there is a record of it through a serial number), that a collector seeking to bid on the book should be able to contact CGC and get a truthful answer?

If it is so non-scandalous, why wouldn't CGC want to freely volunteer the information?

Why shouldn't a consignor (who slabbed the book and paid for it to be pressed) freely offer this info to a consignment house for this info to be placed in the description of the auction listing if it is so non-scandalous?

Seems like there is some scandal to it.

Yes it’s unreasonable.  CGC doesn’t press books, CCS does, along with scores of others. CGC, when they receive the books have no idea of pressing status by CCS or anyone else.  Serial numbers that are on the slab are assigned at CGC not CCS.  

Scandal by who exactly? I don’t see a scandal.. Since pressing is not considered as restoration and there is no sure fire way to detect the need to disclose is a mute point.

Would it be nice if voluntary disclosed by whomever had the book pressed when selling? Sure.

If someone is hellbent on only wanting unpressed comics probably not the best hobby to be in IMO.

So you are saying CGC has no ability to know if a book came from the pressing room of CCS, even though it is part of the company and housed under the same roof and billed with a similar invoice with the company letterhead on it?  CGC has no ability to tell if the books came from CCS ?  Yeah, right.  And when CGC grades books, they don't know and aren't allowed to know who the submitter is  I have a bridge to sell you.

Edited by Zemo

I get that anyone might have pressed a book submitted to CGC but an interested buyer of a book should be able to inquire if a book passed through CCS pressing, since it is part of the company.  At least CGC could include or eliminate a CCS pressing inquiry.  Obviously they wouldn't know if it came from Joe Schmo pressing.

9.8 blue label is the same in everyone's eye regardless of pressing.  Besides there no way to prove it.  The graders don't know if a book was pressed even if the home office does.   So let it go and be jealous like the rest of us... ;)

I know alot of people who have been collecting for a long long time aren't 100% on board with pressing, as some aren't even on board with sig series, but I appreciate the OPs question. It would be a good idea to know if a previously graded book has been pressed. It would be nice to know if a raw first time graded book has been pressed to, certainly CCS would know this. Only because it's better to know and chance then spend a wad on an already pressed book...just saying

22 hours ago, Zemo said:

RAD8129320181029_95349.jpg

What’s the hammer price gonna be on this 9.8 I wonder....

48 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I know alot of people who have been collecting for a long long time aren't 100% on board with pressing, as some aren't even on board with sig series, but I appreciate the OPs question. It would be a good idea to know if a previously graded book has been pressed. It would be nice to know if a raw first time graded book has been pressed to, certainly CCS would know this. Only because it's better to know and chance then spend a wad on an already pressed book...just saying

If CGC were to start tracking which books were pressed by CCS, it would completely destroy CCS' business as everyone would just move on to any one of the quality third party pressers that are out there.  The OP can be outraged all he wants over a book that he assumes was pressed, but any tracking proposal is a non-starter.