• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Annual #1 9.8 in Comiclink May auction was a 9.6....
3 3

83 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

If pressing is a good thing and not something to be hidden, shouldn't proclaiming that your book was pressed by the #1, official company be a good thing? How could that possibly hurt CCS's business?

I’m guessing because it would put CCS at a competitive disadvantage. 

Anti-pressers would refrain from bidding on books that CCS pressed because CGC would 100% confirm that those books had been pressed, instead bidding on books that could very well have been pressed but because they were pressed by someone other than CCS, CGC couldn’t confirm 100% that those books had been pressed. 

There would then be the potential for a market where CCS books sell at discount thus driving business away. 

Edited by Number 6

20 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

If pressing is a good thing and not something to be hidden, shouldn't proclaiming that your book was pressed by the #1, official company be a good thing? How could that possibly hurt CCS's business?

Good call, then CCS can turn off whatever percentage of the comic buying market wants unpressed books, no matter what.  (thumbsu

Just now, Number 6 said:

Anti-pressers would refrain from bidding on books that CCS pressed because CGC would 100% confirm that those books had been pressed, instead bidding on books that could very well have been pressed but because they were pressed by someone other than CCS, CGC couldn’t confirm 100% that those books had been pressed. 

There would then be the potential for a market where CCS books sell at discount this driving business away. 

:idea:

1 hour ago, Number 6 said:

There would then be the potential for a market where CCS books sell at discount thus driving business away. 

1 hour ago, mattn792 said:

Good call, then CCS can turn off whatever percentage of the comic buying market wants unpressed books, no matter what.  (thumbsu

I see. Pressing affects the market.

So what's the argument for non-disclosure, again? How is it different from concealing any other kind of manipulation that will affect market prices?

7 minutes ago, Carlucci54 said:

And they will leave Lake Mary much the better for it.  I just had 50 spend a few weeks being pampered, and they are now scheduled for their new physicals.

Bathroom is going a bit over budget... I am only sending ten.   Maybe at the end of the year I will send another ten.

It is costing $400 just to CGC to get them graded. :(   5 Raws and 5 CPRs

Some cool things though... 6 Golden and Atomic Age / 4 Early Silvers...  Grading contest to follow  

2 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

So what's the argument for non-disclosure, again? How is it different from concealing any other kind of manipulation that will affect market prices?

By all means, you call a meeting of all the pressers nationwide and get them to sign onto disclosure of each book that they press that is subsequently sent to CGC or one of the other guys. Go get ‘em tiger!  (thumbsu

8 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

I’m not arguing for or against. 

You asked how would disclosure hurt CCS’s business. I theorized how that might be possible. 

I agree that in a perfect world there should be disclosure. And if something is generally deemed “acceptable” then in theory there shouldn’t be a problem disclosing it. 

But I also understand CGC/CCS is a business. I’m not going to feign naïveté and pretend I can’t comprehend their reasons for why they do what they do. 

I’m not assigning “good” or “bad” to it, it just is what it is from my standpoint. 

37 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

By all means, you call a meeting of all the pressers nationwide and get them to sign onto disclosure of each book that they press that is subsequently sent to CGC or one of the other guys. Go get ‘em tiger!  (thumbsu

I think you might be confused. I'm not the OP, nor am I arguing that CGC should note books that CCS pressed.

I'm just questioning how non-disclosure of pressing can possibly be justified.

22 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

I think you might be confused. I'm not the OP, nor am I arguing that CGC should note books that CCS pressed.

For simplicity, I’ll just adopt @RockMyAmadeus’ writings on the subject.  You can find some of his past posts in the topic to continue arguing with.

And while you’re at it, find him too.  Been a minute since I’ve seen anything from him.

12 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Earlier you stated “pressing affects the market”

I would think that that door swings both ways: the market affects pressing. 

So I suppose the “justification” - if you can call it that - for non-disclosure of the pressing is “the market”. 

Perhaps this is simplistic thinking, but I guess that if there was sufficient demand from the market, if enough of the hobby demanded that CGC give pressed books a purple label, a notation on a blue label, or at the very least a grader notes-style confirmation, and voted with their wallets by refusing to use CGC’s services or buy CGC’s product until they got what they were demanding...then we would have disclosure. 

I first became aware of pressing around 2006, and in the 14 years since I don’t see us any closer to have official disclosure from CGC on pressing. If anything, at this point we’re farther from it. 

I guess I could conclude from that that there is isn’t sufficient demand from the market on disclosure of pressing. Maybe that will change in the future. 

Again, I’m not advocating for or against, just trying to step back, observe, and comment on situation as it exists. 

2 hours ago,  Number 6 said: 

There would then be the potential for a market where CCS books sell at discount this driving business away. 

Thus the reason to keep it hidden and thus , by definition , when something is meant to be hidden and then it is found out, there is some level of scandal to it.