• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A 55 year old mystery solved.

7 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, shadroch said:

In the mid-1960s, I'd spend the summers at my Grandmothers houses, splitting between Queens and a summer cottage out east on Long Island. Every year, when I'd come back, the kids in the neighborhood had changed. For example, one year everyone had Matchbox cars, and when I returned the next year with my greatly expanded collection, they had moved on to Hot Wheels and no one cared about my cars. 

We'd play baseball or stickball in the mornings, but the afternoons were reserved for playing army, or star trek or super heroes. Sometimes we'd be the Legion of Super-Heroes, sometimes we would 'be the Justice League and sometimes we would be The Allies of Peace.  The Allies were made up of just about any Marvel hero you wanted, so Thor could team with Spider-man  and Iceman.  I'd never heard the term before or since so it was just a long forgotten memory that would pop up every couple of years. 

Thanks to the virus, I'm watching much more tv and a much wider assortment of shows.  Today I'm binge-watching the 1966 Marvel Cartoons when an odd Submariner story comes on. Evidently, Marvel couldn't use the Fantastic Four so the animators chopped up the story of Reed and Sues wedding and eliminated all the FF characters and references. Instead of Dr. Doom leading an assault on the wedding, he leads an attack on the opening of Peace Plaza, where X-Men and other heroes are in The Allies of Peace.  I believe this was the first and only appearance of the AOP.

Where in Queens?  I grew up in South Ozone Park/Howard Beach.

Queens Village.  The bungalow was in West Oakdale.  The Association was 100% Catholic and many of the families lived in the Ozone Park/ Richmond Hill areas. In fact, they would have an annual Christmas party at St Mary's, Gate of Heaven in your area.

I lived in Corona, Queens for 40 years, from 1968 to 2008. I remember playing stickball/punchball in the 70's in the middle of the block using the manhole covers as home plate and second base and the tires from the parked cars as first and third base. We also played two hand touch football in the winter in that same block. Good times. :cloud9: 

8 hours ago, mr_highgrade said:

I lived in Corona, Queens for 40 years, from 1968 to 2008. I remember playing stickball/punchball in the 70's in the middle of the block using the manhole covers as home plate and second base and the tires from the parked cars as first and third base. We also played two hand touch football in the winter in that same block. Good times. :cloud9: 

This reminds me of my youth.  One time we were playing some makeshift baseball game and home plate was two cinder blocks.  We were under 10 years old since it was before we moved to the big city.  My brother slid head-first into home plate and gashed his head.  I forget how many stitches he had to have.  

Throughout our junior high years, we played football in the street and adjoining yards.  Lamp posts in the yards played a significant role in the offensive plays we called.  Most likely now would be an illegal pick in today's rule lol And getting tackled in the street was hard on the knees by the way - for both the offensive and defensive players. 

Our basketball rules were even more sadistic :sick:

9 hours ago, telerites said:

This reminds me of my youth.  One time we were playing some makeshift baseball game and home plate was two cinder blocks.  We were under 10 years old since it was before we moved to the big city.  My brother slid head-first into home plate and gashed his head.  I forget how many stitches he had to have.  

Throughout our junior high years, we played football in the street and adjoining yards.  Lamp posts in the yards played a significant role in the offensive plays we called.  Most likely now would be an illegal pick in today's rule lol And getting tackled in the street was hard on the knees by the way - for both the offensive and defensive players. 

Our basketball rules were even more sadistic :sick:

You had rulez? About the only one we had was you couldn't hit anyone without the ball, and that was loosely observed.

50 minutes ago, shadroch said:

You had rulez? About the only one we had was you couldn't hit anyone without the ball, and that was loosely observed.

I never played organized basketball until 9th grade. In my first organized scrimmage, I received four fouls and a technical in my first five minutes.  Playing high school ball was very different than our streetball.