• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

On ebay Avengers #59 Cover Publisher Edition Layout Page?

13 posts in this topic

I do not quite understand what is offered there on ebay. A kind of production art? -> https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Original-Avengers-59-Cover-12x16-Publisher-Edition-Layout-Page-For-Charity/133420480588
The cover seems to be in the collection of David Mandel. Here in the CAF-Gallery -> https://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=516061
Both look very similar in detail. Doesn't it?

I agree with @NelsonAI .  The seller should provide more information.  Maybe he doesn't have that knowledge. 

The listing uses the word "original" but I would say it's not the original art.

I'm assuming the original art is twice-up.  The 2nd image shows that image is definitely not twice-up (compared to the laptop) and that it's printed on a much larger sheet that has a roll at the bottom (maybe because it's in a poly sleeve).  The original art would definitely not have that kind of roll.

There's another image with a toploader sitting squarely over the image (flattening the roll ?) that might make you thing that it's actually in the toploader.

Images at 50%

av59roll50pct.jpg

av59toploader50pct.jpg

Edited by Will_K

Has this been featured in an Artist Edition collection from IDW? I know there's a seller on Ebay (not the one in question) who buys the books removes each page and sells them. He does not operate under the assumption the consumer thinks it's original art and they basically end up as original art prints that sell for $30-$50. He also labels them as Publisher Layouts.

Edited by ZimmermanTelegram

2 hours ago, retronymXX said:

I asked the seller. He is "not very familiar with the piece."

Maybe not but his "father-in-law" certainly should be - it's from his collection.

16 minutes ago, glenbru said:

It looks like its just a page removed from that IDW artist edition book of covers.

Thank you. The seller’s description is written up so that it distances the seller from responsibility. “My father-in-law..” “The gallery remains closed...” Basically, plausible deniability. Even the charity angle (only 10% really) seems like a way to legitimize the whole thing. 

44 minutes ago, glenbru said:

It looks like its just a page removed from that IDW artist edition book of covers.

Not sure if it's the same book but there's an IDW book of Marvel covers on ebay with a BIN of $199.99 and free shipping.

The OP's ebay lot in question currently stands at $56 with $18 shipping.

I'm not that big of a Marvel fan but I know which one I would buy.

I asked him - he said clearly - this is not the original artwork

Thank you for both your interest and inquiry. It’s a production piece of the original. A copy solely for the publications editor for approval. A replication in its every form. -tom

Tom Report