• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I get these graded?
1 1

29 posts in this topic

42 minutes ago, Chazgee said:

Welcome to the Boards!

I'd also add a (not so) quick press at CCS to smooth out those bends on the back covers and increase the possible grade.

If you sign up for the $150 membership, you immediately get a grading $150 credit. So, not bad overall.

There are many, many other pressing options than CCS. It's a shame more people are not aware of that. Quick press? Fire up the assembly line and pump those books though. You get what you pay for. 

Edited by Jeffro.

3 minutes ago, Jeffro. said:

There are many, many other pressing options than CCS. It's a shame more people are not aware of that. Quick press? Fire up the assembly line and pump those books though. You get what you pay for. 

I'm aware and usually use Rich Henn for my pressing, but I was trying to keep it simple for someone new whose books only need a touch up.

The problem with threads like these is you have people who are so new to this part of the hobby-- even if they know something about comics or have been around in some capacity for decades-- these folks are at great risk of making bad decisions. This is why I have stated simply to the OP the need to basically pump the brakes, do a ton of reading (so much information on these forums already written-- no questions never asked before honestly), and learn. There are no simple answers to the question of whether or not a book should be graded.

Think of how we have threads like "what we're they thinking getting this book graded?" and the like, Some other points to the OP -- when sharing images of comics-- take them out of the bag, if possible - use a scanner for the images, show the back scan, and try placing them in the "spare a grade" forum (follow the rules to that forum as well). The less you step on other collectors toes the better.

This place is a wealth if information and knowledge readily available especially if you do most of the legwork and ask questions where you get confused.

Thanks everyone, you have been very helpful and kind. I will learn more first. I may sell these at a show down the line, or on Esty.. I am an avid coin collector/dealer so I do understand the grading process when it comes to coins. I always tell newbies in coins to leave them alone and don't try to improve them!!  Thanks again!

10 hours ago, shadroch said:

That is incorrect. While they are reprints, X-Men in the high 80s thru 93 bring good money, especially high grade ones. 

They really have to be sharp. Yeah, I think a few of the dark cover picture frame books may be quadruple digits in 9.8 (or good money raw with 9.6-9.8 hopes), but not so much if they have defects that knock then down under 9.2. But yeah, I'd buy those all day at $3 even in lower grades. I never see them that cheap.

Edited by the blob

1 hour ago, the blob said:

They really have to be sharp. Yeah, I think a few of the dark cover picture frame books may be quadruple digits in 9.8 (or good money raw with 9.6-9.8 hopes), but not so much if they have defects that knock then down under 9.2. But yeah, I'd buy those all day at $3 even in lower grades. I never see them that cheap.

It's been a spell since I sold any, but check out the prices at MCS. The consignments are a bit high but the store stock is priced to move. These were low selling books no one cared about for the first thirty years.