• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Better artist of that era-Byrne or Perez.
3 3

239 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, kav said:

I'm arguing with someone on face book who claims
"Many John Byrne comics are undervalued. Change my mind. He’s his generation’s Neal Adams.  I just think Byrne goes down as his era’s greatest."
I stated 
"the problem with byrne is he can only draw one male face and one female face. he just changes hair. many comic artists are guilty of this but byrne takes it to whole new level.
Adams drew different faces. he could also draw children. Byrne's children look like adult midgets.  Perez is the greatest artist of that era.  orig art for byrne can be found cheap. perez is pricey. that says it all.

So whats the consensus-who will go down as the better artist of that era?

Byrne can only draw one male face and one female face?

:screwy:

Just now, THE_BEYONDER said:

:hi:

8 minutes ago, littledoom said:

Perez... was just thinking about his work the other day in particular what he did for DC: New Teen Titans, Crisis on Freaking Infinite Earths, Batman, DC Comics Presents.. Byrne is mainly known for X-Men..

JLA vs Avengers was so incredible I would have said no one could draw those panels and splashes.

23 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

yup. totally agree with kav here. maybe he has one third face for a non attractive weirdo character, but even then, not really. 

i cant believe how much i used to love byrne as a kid. perez holds up waaay better now that decades have passed. vote perez for sure.

9 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

FF :whistle:

I love and respect a lot of Byrne's work. His work on X-Men hooked me as a teen. But I've never been crazy about his art on FF. Not at all. They seemed emaciated with large heads.

Perez's Avengers, New Teen Titans, Crisis & Wonder Woman were amazing. 

It's Perez for me.

Edited by Chazgee

3 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

you just proved kavs point lol. these are all identical!

Thx.  tweaking minor things and also using the best examples of drawing 'different' faces you can possibly muster doesnt cut it.  99% of byrne faces are identical.  Sure if he draws the beast or a robot of course it aint gonna look like all the standard faces thats hardly an argument tho.

5 minutes ago, Chazgee said:

I love and respect a lot of Byrne's work. His work on X-Men hooked me as a teen. But I've never been crazy about his art on FF. Not at all. They seemed emaciated with large heads.

Perez's Avengers, New Teen Titans, Crisis & Wonder Woman were amazing. 

It's Perez for me.

You think Perez did a better job on Avengers than Byrne?

I love Perez, and New Teen Titans was the only DC book I was regularly reading  at that time because of him.

He’s also a great guy whereas Byrne is a jerk.

Byrne  is the better artist though.