• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Better artist of that era-Byrne or Perez.
3 3

239 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

Byrne over Perez, as Byrne drew FF, She-hulk, Alpha Flight, Superman, etc. Funny how some of the best Claremont/Byrne era X-men covers were drawn by the team of Perez/Austin!

Yes, in hind sight that's kinda telling as Perez would be artist on the title that would challenge the X-men and pull DC out of the dumps, The New Teen Titans!

But Perez has a nice resume too other than the Titans :Crisis, Wonder Woman, Infinity Gantlet, his Avengers run with Busiek, and the greatest DC/Marvel crossover of them all JLA / Avengers. 

Definitely Byrne.  I admire both of them as artists but Byrne is better.  I just wish he would do SS as I have a stack of X-Men I would love to get done!

1 hour ago, kav said:

I'm arguing with someone on face book who claims
"Many John Byrne comics are undervalued. Change my mind. He’s his generation’s Neal Adams.  I just think Byrne goes down as his era’s greatest."
I stated 
"the problem with byrne is he can only draw one male face and one female face. he just changes hair. many comic artists are guilty of this but byrne takes it to whole new level.
Adams drew different faces. he could also draw children. Byrne's children look like adult midgets.  Perez is the greatest artist of that era.  orig art for byrne can be found cheap. perez is pricey. that says it all.

So whats the consensus-who will go down as the better artist of that era?

it's a tie who is better !

6 minutes ago, ernster said:

The early Xmen Byrne was fantastic, at least for a kid who grew in the 70's.

Earlier Charlton Byrne art on :nyah: Doomsday+1, Rog-2000 (E-man), Speedy and the Chopper Bunch are such 'classics.'

A tie purely as illustrators. Both have superb if quite different styles.

Byrne’s the far superior all-rounder writer / artist, responsible for more of my favourite runs of comics than Perez.

Edited by Ken Aldred

2 hours ago, kav said:

Perez is the greatest artist of that era

Great artist, but a somewhat hyperbolic statement from him.  In that era you also had Jean Giraud / Moebius and Frank Miller, as other contenders for that accolade. Sure there are others.

Edited by Ken Aldred

I'll go with Byrne.  His FF stuff was some of the best reading and art.  FF was my favorite during the 80's. He did it better then Lee and Kirby.  Very underappreciated stuff.

I like Perez but for some reason I always found his work was very dense.  There was so much packed into each panel that my short attention span as a kid got tired of looking at everything.

1 hour ago, Red_Hood said:

I'll go with Byrne.  His FF stuff was some of the best reading and art.  FF was my favorite during the 80's. He did it better then Lee and Kirby.  Very underappreciated stuff.

I like Perez but for some reason I always found his work was very dense.  There was so much packed into each panel that my short attention span as a kid got tired of looking at everything.

This. This is it.

Some of the first comics I read as a kid was the Byrne X-Men run starting with the Dark Phoenix Saga reprints in Classic X-Men. Then Byrne did Many Deaths of Batman (# 433-435), I discovered his 80s Superman run, and my first Wolverine off the shelf was # 17. I *loved* Byrne as a kid.

Fast forward a few years and it's Perez hands down.

Why?

The detail. That he can draw *any* superhero -- as shown in the epic universe spanning stories like Crisis on Infinite Earths, JLA/Avengers, Infinity Gauntlet.

And I'd pick Perez's Titans run over Byrne's FF run any day of the week.

1 hour ago, Red_Hood said:

I chose Byrne as well, but always marvelled at Perez’ ability to craft a hyper-detailed cover or splash, without costing any of the depth and foreground/background separation.

6 minutes ago, csaag said:
24 minutes ago, 500Club said:

I chose Byrne as well, but always marvelled at Perez’ ability to craft a hyper-detailed cover or splash, without costing any of the depth and foreground/background separation.

some of his NTT covers were superb

40 and 41 are the ones that amaze me.