• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Better artist of that era-Byrne or Perez.
3 3

239 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

i was the biggest byrne fan on earth when he did xmen with terry austin

let's add frank miller to the comversation to liven it up even more!

I liked Miller/Jansen a bit more than Byrne/Austin.  I was always surprised at the diff when I saw Miller's work without him.  

Can Byrne draw different faces?  He can if there's a huge difference in the face like in the 'various races' character sheet.  When there's some huge difference he can exploit to make the faces different.  The problem arises when he draws just a standard hero or character-then he defaults to the 'reed richard' and ''sue storm' face, just switching wigs or adding glasses etc.

The discussion about Byrne and faces is interesting. Jim Lee can be accused of the same thing and he gets near universal praise for his work. In fact, you can probably go through the work of many comic artists and find the same faces thing.

To me that doesn't diminish Byrne's work. For some it does. Geeks are passionate about their geekery ;) but there's no right or wrong answer. 

1 hour ago, Jeffro. said:

The discussion about Byrne and faces is interesting. Jim Lee can be accused of the same thing and he gets near universal praise for his work. In fact, you can probably go through the work of many comic artists and find the same faces thing.

If you read thru the thread I stated the same thing.  Most comic artists do the same face thing but with Byrne he takes it to a whole new level in my opinion.  

19 hours ago, 500Club said:

If you tell me your opinion is that Rob Liefeld draws anatomy well, I’m going to tell you your ‘opinion’ is just flat out wrong.

I don’t know, while not feet, I’m sure I could understand other respectable critics saying he draws certain other anatomy well...

JX7S1Ld.jpg

And I think I’ll just leave it at that.

Edited by Electricmastro

On 5/29/2020 at 1:55 PM, 500Club said:

In fact, as a Byrne voter, I do agree that his rendering of female faces is limited, and based on evidence, this is more than just opinion.

His heads are also too big for their bodies. That's always been a peeve of mine even if I like Byrne's work.

16 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

His heads are also too big for their bodies. That's always been a peeve of mine even if I like Byrne's work.

good point

1 minute ago, oakman29 said:

I dont like Byrne or Perez.🤔

Back to the libary with Colonial Mustard, you!!!!  lol  

32 minutes ago, Juno Beach said:

Since opinions apparently cannot be wrong I say Perez isn't fit to sharpen Byrne's pencil.  

go to the libary immediately!!

10 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Was this judgement made before or after you became blind as a bat?

look if dare devil can run his fingers over stuff and read it and stuff maybe Juno can too!

As a kid, I always snatched up anything Byrne did. Just loved every panel he did.  As for Perez, I always found him kinda 'Meh'.  To me, his work was only interesting if it was embellished by a good inker